Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Where do Australians buy their NEW lenses from?

I originally bought my K200D & lens from Digital Camera Warehouse, which was a store I could actually walk in to. I'm looking to buy a Sigma lens and somewhat worried about quality control and hence I would like to buy from a TRUE Australian supplier. If it's a physical shop, even better. Unfortunately, DCW is selling the lens I want at way too much.

I've just heard a few dodgy things about Quikshop Australia & even more shifty conduct from Blue Fly Mobile who are very cheap indeed. Maybe too cheap?

I'm tempted to buy from HK again, but just thought i'd check who the rest of you use.

Cheers.

07-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my DA40 from Vanbar. They had it in stock and it wasn't cheaper online anywhere on the internet from Australia.

They have a decent website too with the same prices that you get in the shop: VANBAR IMAGING

I've also heard that CR Kennedy price matches Sigma lenses from overseas (B&H etc.) and you get an Australian warranty with them.

EDIT: at the bottom of this page http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465&pageRef=179&CFID=2970333&CFTOKEN=23756905
07-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the link for VANBAR, but they are selling well over price for the lens i'm after.
07-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #4

I've bought the last few new lenses from Adorama. Even with shipping, most of them for less than half the price DCW or other local suppliers were selling the same thing for.

Bodies are a different story.. the markup doesn't seem to be quite so insane. I bought the K7 from the local Ted's... after they came to the party it wasn't that much different to the going rate in the US when taking the exchange rate and delivery into account.

The comment on CR Kennedy's site (linked to by tsangpo) is interesting... it's hard to see how they can claim the local prices on Pentax glass are "globally competitive", when a DA15 limited from Adorama is <AUD$700 delivered and the same thing from DCW is >AUD$1350 delivered.

Maybe it's old stock, or stock purchased at a less favourable exchange rate, but even that can't account for such a vast difference.

I'd really *like* to support the local guy, but not by that much.

What lens are you looking for?

Nick

07-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the da15 is even cheaper at b&h after currency conversion and shipping its about $650AUD.

I just bought a af540 from b&h, after shipping and currency it cost me just over $500aud,
at DCW its $889!
07-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Save yourself the time & $ pain, get your lens either from Adorama or B&H.

Australian prices are ridiculous & sad
07-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do a price match through CR Kennedy. They're in South Yarra so you should be able to pick the item up there.

07-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I’m in Melbourne and in the past 7 months have bought a DA40 locally for $370 (from JB-HiFi), and a DA70 for $535 (from camera house). Both were cheaper than what I could get from overseas. Local stores though couldn’t even get near the B&H price of a DA55-300, so I bought that lens from B&H.

It seems only the limiteds, and even then only some of them have competitive prices locally (DA15 isn’t competitive for example), seems all other Pentax lenses are ~ 1/3 or more cheaper from B&H even with shipping on a single lens basis.

My likely next purchase will be a DA*50-135. Locally the best price I can get is $1,490. From B&H it’s under $1,000 landed.
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Apart from private sales (like on this forum) or discontinued lines that are a reasonable price, I've abandoned Australian retailers as they charge way over the top

Check out the local price, then check out the Adorama & B&H price with shipping, and then decide. IMHO Adorama & B&H are the way to go - even with shipping and the yoyo Aussie Dollar your a winner on new products.

Until CR Kennedy and the other importers really compete openly (not the back door way its done now), that's the way it will stay....

Cheers
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
They're in South Yarra so you should be able to pick the item up there.
Yeah that would be good. I'm finding the navigation on the CR Kennedy page to be a little confusing. I have no idea how to find the lens.

Lens i'm after is the Sigma 30/1.4. The price range is pretty crazy, i've seen it at AU$450 & also at over AU$800 (!)

USD$439.00 + postage (AU$517) on Adorama. I can get it from HK, free postage for around 500-530.
07-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I purchased my K-7 locally in Sydney

but of the last 5 lenses purchased:

2 x Adorama
2 x B&H
1 x digidirect in Sydney

and a flash unit used from the forum marketplace.

For all of the overseas purchases there was a significant difference at the time.
(the prices at DCW, digidirect and others did drop a few months ago with stock purched at favourable exchange rates -- all except for that DA15 at DCW for $1330).

The Sigma 30 hasnt change in price locally much but the 50 has come down.

I found that the best overall prices for Sigma lenses in a real store you can walk into is digidirect where the 30mm 1.4 is $578.

Edit: sorry didn't realise there isn't an outlet in Melbourne (only 3 in Sydney)

Last edited by steve1307; 07-01-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: correction
07-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A story about lens buy in Oz

I recently lusted after the DA* 300 but wasn't prepared to pay the full Oz premium price so wandered into the local Pentax Pro Store with a fist full of quotes from B&H and Adorama. They sent this off to CR Kennedy who came back in about 48 hours with a new price - $520 below list. I said OK expecting to be able to take the lens off the shelf. Not so. CRK have to apply to Japan for a credit on stock in their warehouse and ship it to the store. Came in overnight. So it seems that CRK are also being held to ransom? Seems though that this approach will get you a much better price, local sales and backup with the parent Pentax company making only normal profit on the Oz sales. We should all press this until they bring in some parity in the now global marketplace.
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

A story about lens buy in Oz

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
Save yourself the time & $ pain, get your lens either from Adorama or B&H.

Australian prices are ridiculous & sad
Sorry - dbl posted......

Last edited by Grimmus; 07-02-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: double post in error
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #14

Interesting... Might have to give this a try for the DA*50-135...

Nick
07-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Of the 12 lenses that I've owned and sold, or currently own, I've only bought 2 new. One was a FA35/2.0 that I got in Hong Kong, and the other one, the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM was bought from DigiDirect's Sydney store, near the QVB. I usually use B&H/Adorama and Shopbot to judge how much I should be paying for lenses, and usually it's cheaper from overseas, even factoring in shipping. But, in the case of the Sigma 50mm F1.4, DigiDirect had it for A$556 and the lens is local stock with local 12mths warranty from CRK and I could try it in store first before buying it, whereas buying from B&H would be ~A$590 lens only, and then you have to factor in the shipping as well.
In the future, if I were to buy a new lens, I would take a look at B&H/Adorama's prices and see if I can get CRK to price match or do a deal.