Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WinterLand
Posts: 19
Question For jsherman999

I saw your pics in this thread:

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews

Do you recall what settings were used? (F, SS, PP if any)

I have that lens with the K-X and there is NO WAY I can that that kind of resolution at f1.7. In fact f1.7 is all but useless. That lens begins to get sharp at 2.2 and higher... at least with my camera anyway.

Thanks for the anticipated reply!

07-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
summonbaka's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kagoshima, Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 237
Those seem to be close-ups so i don't think he was using f1.7, looks more like f2.8 or even f4.

I have a M 50/1.7 and I find it useable at wide apertures. If anything, try to use it with a lens hood I found that the 135mm takumar's hood works with the 50mm without vignetting. A deep hood is better, if only a little impractical.
07-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
LOL how about sending the guy a private message? just click over his user name and it's right there on the menu
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,167
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
LOL how about sending the guy a private message? just click over his user name and it's right there on the menu
Jay has not been as active here as in the past and a PM is probably the best way to get in contact with him. I know that you can't go directly from the lens review to his member page. Here is a link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jsherman999.html

You should be able to PM him from there (use the "send message" link right under the U.S. Flag).


Steve

07-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
I've had the A and M versions of that lens which I believe are the same optically. The DOF on those shots makes me think they aren't at f/1.7, plus I wonder if you could avoid overexposure at that aperture in that light.

But I'd say that the lens is impressively sharp at f/1.7 - assuming, of course you nail the focus, which is by no means a given when DOF is that shallow. Plus, if you're using f/1.7 because it's low light and you're at high ISO, you aren't going to get that kind of resolution. Note those samples are pretty small, too. A lens doesn't actually have to be overly sharp to produce impressive images in lighting like that and reproduced at that size.

You might try posting some images you aren't happy with...

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WinterLand
Posts: 19
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
LOL how about sending the guy a private message? just click over his user name and it's right there on the menu
Don't get me wrong, I think those are fabulous shots, I just thought his answering here would benefit anyone else who's curious what the settings were. I just got the lens for second time. First time was when I owned an SF10. I don't seem to recall that lens being that bad wide open. Perhaps the lens behaves much differently wide open when on a cropped sensor.
07-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Nightwings Quote
I saw your pics in this thread:

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews

Do you recall what settings were used? (F, SS, PP if any)

I have that lens with the K-X and there is NO WAY I can that that kind of resolution at f1.7. In fact f1.7 is all but useless. That lens begins to get sharp at 2.2 and higher... at least with my camera anyway.

Thanks for the anticipated reply!
.

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party.

Some exif from those shots:

f/2.8, 1/250s, ISO 400


f/2.8, 1/350s, ISO 400


f/2, 1/500, ISO 400




The last is f/2 - almost wide-open. I like the OOf transition in that shot.

The F/FA 50 1.7 is just a superb lens, and not just for the money.

I don't admit this much, but one of the reasons I sold my FA 43ltd was because my 50 1.7 was so good.

If you can find one, get it - either the F or FA are equally good, and the F is usually cheaper. If you can't find either, be sure to pick up an M or A 50 1.7.

Here's a wide-open shot:



As Marc said, DOF is so small at f/1.7 that you have to nail focus to get anything 'sharp' looking. That's often why you'll see MF 50 1.7 shots look sharper - some folks have MF skills that are more accurate than most camera's AF systems (Yeatzie, I'm looking at you.)


.
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,167
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party...
Glad you were able to make it!

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

...As Marc said, DOF is so small at f/1.7 that you have to nail focus to get anything 'sharp' looking. That's often why you'll see MF 50 1.7 shots look sharper - some folks have MF skills that are more accurate than most camera's AF systems (Yeatzie, I'm looking at you.)
...and some of us rely on aftermarket finders with focus aides...

+1 on Marc's comment regarding DOF at f/1.7. The DOF is so limited that at close range, it presents a distinct challenge to the AF system on your camera. MF may be difficult as well due to limitations with the viewfinder screen. I can't say regarding the K-x, but the K10D and K20D show exaggerated DOF in the viewfinder. The result is poor precision for manual focus.


Steve

07-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WinterLand
Posts: 19
Original Poster
Thank you kindly .. I kind of figured those were F2+ shots. Very nice work!



QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party.

Some exif from those shots:

f/2.8, 1/250s, ISO 400


f/2.8, 1/350s, ISO 400


f/2, 1/500, ISO 400




The last is f/2 - almost wide-open. I like the OOf transition in that shot.

The F/FA 50 1.7 is just a superb lens, and not just for the money.

I don't admit this much, but one of the reasons I sold my FA 43ltd was because my 50 1.7 was so good.

If you can find one, get it - either the F or FA are equally good, and the F is usually cheaper. If you can't find either, be sure to pick up an M or A 50 1.7.

Here's a wide-open shot:



As Marc said, DOF is so small at f/1.7 that you have to nail focus to get anything 'sharp' looking. That's often why you'll see MF 50 1.7 shots look sharper - some folks have MF skills that are more accurate than most camera's AF systems (Yeatzie, I'm looking at you.)


.
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,167
QuoteOriginally posted by Nightwings Quote
Thank you kindly .. I kind of figured those were F2+ shots. Very nice work!
J has the knack of making all lenses look good. His reviews with accompanying photos have sold more glass. I sometimes think he bathes in pixie dust.


Steve
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
J has the knack of making all lenses look good. His reviews with accompanying photos have sold more glass. I sometimes think he bathes in pixie dust.


Steve
Its obvious Jay should be a pro.
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
It's really just all about fun

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Its obvious Jay should be a pro.
Thanks for the nice words guys, but, ah, no. Strictly a hobby and always will be for me. Many, many folks here and elsewhere have much more pixie-dust in their pockets than I. (Plus I'm too lazy anyway.)
07-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Pablom's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jerusalem
Posts: 1,940
QuoteOriginally posted by Nightwings Quote
Don't get me wrong, I think those are fabulous shots, I just thought his answering here would benefit anyone else who's curious what the settings were. I just got the lens for second time. First time was when I owned an SF10. I don't seem to recall that lens being that bad wide open. Perhaps the lens behaves much differently wide open when on a cropped sensor.
or maybe it's not all that bad and you're just looking at it too close
07-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Mechan1k's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,883
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
J has the knack of making all lenses look good. His reviews with accompanying photos have sold more glass. I sometimes think he bathes in pixie dust.


Steve
Put it this way Pentax should be giving Jay a commission for ALL sales of the DA15 Ltd through this forum.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f1.7, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I blame Jsherman999 and Hinman Igilligan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 02-19-2009 01:29 PM
My jupiter 9 exploding gumball bokeh - jsherman999? Igilligan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 12-01-2008 02:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top