Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Question For jsherman999

I saw your pics in this thread:

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews

Do you recall what settings were used? (F, SS, PP if any)

I have that lens with the K-X and there is NO WAY I can that that kind of resolution at f1.7. In fact f1.7 is all but useless. That lens begins to get sharp at 2.2 and higher... at least with my camera anyway.

Thanks for the anticipated reply!

07-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those seem to be close-ups so i don't think he was using f1.7, looks more like f2.8 or even f4.

I have a M 50/1.7 and I find it useable at wide apertures. If anything, try to use it with a lens hood I found that the 135mm takumar's hood works with the 50mm without vignetting. A deep hood is better, if only a little impractical.
07-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

LOL how about sending the guy a private message? just click over his user name and it's right there on the menu
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
LOL how about sending the guy a private message? just click over his user name and it's right there on the menu
Jay has not been as active here as in the past and a PM is probably the best way to get in contact with him. I know that you can't go directly from the lens review to his member page. Here is a link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/jsherman999.html

You should be able to PM him from there (use the "send message" link right under the U.S. Flag).

Steve

07-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had the A and M versions of that lens which I believe are the same optically. The DOF on those shots makes me think they aren't at f/1.7, plus I wonder if you could avoid overexposure at that aperture in that light.

But I'd say that the lens is impressively sharp at f/1.7 - assuming, of course you nail the focus, which is by no means a given when DOF is that shallow. Plus, if you're using f/1.7 because it's low light and you're at high ISO, you aren't going to get that kind of resolution. Note those samples are pretty small, too. A lens doesn't actually have to be overly sharp to produce impressive images in lighting like that and reproduced at that size.

You might try posting some images you aren't happy with...

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Don't get me wrong, I think those are fabulous shots, I just thought his answering here would benefit anyone else who's curious what the settings were. I just got the lens for second time. First time was when I owned an SF10. I don't seem to recall that lens being that bad wide open. Perhaps the lens behaves much differently wide open when on a cropped sensor.
07-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nightwings Quote
I saw your pics in this thread:

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews

Do you recall what settings were used? (F, SS, PP if any)

I have that lens with the K-X and there is NO WAY I can that that kind of resolution at f1.7. In fact f1.7 is all but useless. That lens begins to get sharp at 2.2 and higher... at least with my camera anyway.

Thanks for the anticipated reply!

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party.

Some exif from those shots:

f/2.8, 1/250s, ISO 400

f/2.8, 1/350s, ISO 400

f/2, 1/500, ISO 400

The last is f/2 - almost wide-open. I like the OOf transition in that shot.

The F/FA 50 1.7 is just a superb lens, and not just for the money.

I don't admit this much, but one of the reasons I sold my FA 43ltd was because my 50 1.7 was so good.

If you can find one, get it - either the F or FA are equally good, and the F is usually cheaper. If you can't find either, be sure to pick up an M or A 50 1.7.

Here's a wide-open shot:

As Marc said, DOF is so small at f/1.7 that you have to nail focus to get anything 'sharp' looking. That's often why you'll see MF 50 1.7 shots look sharper - some folks have MF skills that are more accurate than most camera's AF systems (Yeatzie, I'm looking at you.)

07-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party...
Glad you were able to make it!

...As Marc said, DOF is so small at f/1.7 that you have to nail focus to get anything 'sharp' looking. That's often why you'll see MF 50 1.7 shots look sharper - some folks have MF skills that are more accurate than most camera's AF systems (Yeatzie, I'm looking at you.)
...and some of us rely on aftermarket finders with focus aides...

+1 on Marc's comment regarding DOF at f/1.7. The DOF is so limited that at close range, it presents a distinct challenge to the AF system on your camera. MF may be difficult as well due to limitations with the viewfinder screen. I can't say regarding the K-x, but the K10D and K20D show exaggerated DOF in the viewfinder. The result is poor precision for manual focus.

Steve
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you kindly .. I kind of figured those were F2+ shots. Very nice work!

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party.

Some exif from those shots:

f/2.8, 1/250s, ISO 400

f/2.8, 1/350s, ISO 400

f/2, 1/500, ISO 400

The last is f/2 - almost wide-open. I like the OOf transition in that shot.

The F/FA 50 1.7 is just a superb lens, and not just for the money.

I don't admit this much, but one of the reasons I sold my FA 43ltd was because my 50 1.7 was so good.

If you can find one, get it - either the F or FA are equally good, and the F is usually cheaper. If you can't find either, be sure to pick up an M or A 50 1.7.

Here's a wide-open shot:

As Marc said, DOF is so small at f/1.7 that you have to nail focus to get anything 'sharp' looking. That's often why you'll see MF 50 1.7 shots look sharper - some folks have MF skills that are more accurate than most camera's AF systems (Yeatzie, I'm looking at you.)

07-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you kindly .. I kind of figured those were F2+ shots. Very nice work!
J has the knack of making all lenses look good. His reviews with accompanying photos have sold more glass. I sometimes think he bathes in pixie dust.

Steve
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
J has the knack of making all lenses look good. His reviews with accompanying photos have sold more glass. I sometimes think he bathes in pixie dust.

Steve
Its obvious Jay should be a pro.
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's really just all about fun

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Its obvious Jay should be a pro.
Thanks for the nice words guys, but, ah, no. Strictly a hobby and always will be for me. Many, many folks here and elsewhere have much more pixie-dust in their pockets than I. (Plus I'm too lazy anyway.)
07-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong, I think those are fabulous shots, I just thought his answering here would benefit anyone else who's curious what the settings were. I just got the lens for second time. First time was when I owned an SF10. I don't seem to recall that lens being that bad wide open. Perhaps the lens behaves much differently wide open when on a cropped sensor.
or maybe it's not all that bad and you're just looking at it too close
07-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Put it this way Pentax should be giving Jay a commission for ALL sales of the DA15 Ltd through this forum.