Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Hope you get a better response than I did. Sigma gave me the impression they didn't care. Pentax support gave me the statement that sigma should have tested it first.
so, as usual, the customer gets the shaft after opening the wallet...they both got our cash so neither one gives a rat's ass.

07-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Not so sure about being "shafted"... what does it matter?

My 8-16 is not recognised at 8mm by my two K20D bodies - it shows up as "0mm" in Aperture. That's not a problem - I just need to remember that 0mm is 8mm. It's a tiny annoyance.

I've only had my 8-16 for a few days, but the main thing I've found so far (and I may well be wrong when I try it in more situations) is that the extreme wide angle confuses the exposure meter somewhat, and if there is ANY sky, for example, in the shot, then the shot tends to be underexposed. I've tried it with full metering and spot metering, but it comes out about the same. I need to lift the shadows in Aperture in PP.

I think this is inherent in being such an extreme wide angle view - simply too much information for the exposure meter to average out.

However, as I said, I've only had the thing for a couple of days so far, so I've still got to get the hang of its personality and foibles, like any lens. It has also been fairly dull here since I got it, so I haven't yet tried it in full sunlight.
07-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter

So one turns SR off at 8mm. It probably isn't helping a whole lot at these FLs anyway.
07-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm not noticing SR doing anything unusual at 8mm.

07-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess Pentax would have to come up with a firmware update.
07-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I guess Pentax would have to come up with a firmware update.
I wish they would, but I was placed under the impression that update needed to be driven by Sigma contacting them, not me.

In any event, I strongly encourage everyone who buys this lens to contact both sigma support about this issue, and pentax support about it as well. The more of us that squeak, the more likely we'll see a fix.
07-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have no inside knowledge. And I admit that there is a good chance that the following statement is entirely false.

But there is a possibility that KAF doesn't support anything under 10mm in the serial protocol.
And there is a possibility that you can't really change the protocol without breaking something else, or at least affecting backward compatibility.

Just throwing this out there. No inside info, and I can't find a specification for the protocol so I can't check if this is true (any specification is probably held tightly and probably reversed engineered by Sigma anyway).
07-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #23

An other problem is that the name of the lens is not recognize in exif. No name in Lightroom, in Photome (an excellent tool for Exifs), only the ID (Id: 8 18).
There is a lot of work !

07-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Lens and aperture recognition is a bit of a mystery to me, and I have heard various theories as to where the issues are. My venerable DA 18-55 II is recognized less than half the time on some of my bodies. The even older Sigma 17-35 DG EX is recognized as a Tamron in a completely different focal length. Whether the camera internally recognizes the lens and FL may have nothing to do with what you see in EXIF.
07-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
It was the DA*16-50 or the Sigma 8-16... and I ordered the sigma! Should have mine this week. It seems not too many people own this puppy yet.
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gwinru Quote
An other problem is that the name of the lens is not recognize in exif. No name in Lightroom, in Photome (an excellent tool for Exifs), only the ID (Id: 8 18).
There is a lot of work !
That will change as software updates are released. It's pretty common for lenses to not be recognized in one version, then recognized in the next update.