Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 8-16mm started shipping earlier in the week

Okay, so Sigma finally started shipping the much anticipated 8-16mm lens for the Pentax mount earlier in the week. My copy was delivered on Tuesday, but I haven't really had a chance to go out and test the lens much yet. Has anyone else bought, or received a copy of this lens? If so, what are your impressions of the lens so far?

07-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am very curious to see this lens in action, especially at 8mm. Please post pics asap.
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Someone had posted pictures only a little while ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/105864-other-lens-buying...rst-shots.html
07-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Those pics look really good but it kind of scares me that he cannot get a reading from the lens below 10mm (although he did post a pic at 8mm). That's a bit odd.

07-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would imagine - only a guess - that it is of no significance. It would only be the camera body not recognising such a small number for the EXIF data. Easy enough to rectify in PP, of course, and hopefully a firmware update for the camera bodies. My 8-16 is still on order, not arrived yet. I'll see if my K20D bodies recognise it at the 8mm setting.

In the meantime, those pictures look pretty spectacular - even better than my 10-20, which is going to go on my wife's K10D.

Now I'm REALLY salivating - come on mailman....!
07-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm leaving for Ocean City, NJ in the morning and hope to give the lens a run through on the boardwalk once I get there. I figure that should be a good location for its christening.

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I am very curious to see this lens in action, especially at 8mm. Please post pics asap.
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Incidentally, my K10D with the latest firmware is also unable to read the focal length when it is at 8mm. Not a big deal... it just shows up in the EXIF as "--" so any time I see that I will automatically know I must have been shooting below 10mm and using this lens (as if the pictures, themselves, wouldn't make that obvious-enough. Still weird though. I don't know much about how information gets encoded into these lenses, but you'd think the lens, itself would know its operating focal length and pass that info onto the camera, even if the camera, itself, can't extract the data on its own.

Those pics look really good but it kind of scares me that he cannot get a reading from the lens below 10mm (although he did post a pic at 8mm). That's a bit odd.
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is it only the Exif data that is not being transfered? You can still take a pic at 8mm right? If so does the AF and auto apeture work at 8mm?

07-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lens, itself, seems to work fine at 8mm, as does the aperture and AF. My K10D just doesn't register the focal length below 10mm for some reason. I haven't tried opening the pictures up in Lightroom yet to see if the focal info would appear there.

Is it only the Exif data that is not being transfered? You can still take a pic at 8mm right? If so does the AF and auto apeture work at 8mm?
07-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm curious if it's really better than the Sigma 10-20.
From the 8-16 review, it looks like it has a lot more weird moustache distortion that you can't correct...
07-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And if it's like the 4.5mm Fisheye, this will make your SR go into crazy overdrive, like it's an 800mm lens it's correcting rather than the almost no correction it should be making.
07-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
An interesting point... if the camera(s) can't detect what the focal length is below 10mm then I wonder why my camera doesn't then ask me to manually input the focal range, so that that SR knows what to do with the lens? So far I haven't noticed any issues with respect to SR going onto "overdrive," but I still wonder what the lack of focal length detection does to the SR's operation.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
And if it's like the 4.5mm Fisheye, this will make your SR go into crazy overdrive, like it's an 800mm lens it's correcting rather than the almost no correction it should be making.
07-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter

To try it out, put it in live view and wobble the camera. The 4.5mm goes ape with sr.
07-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #14

Bonjour,

Je viens de recevoir mon Sigma 8-16 et j'ai aussi un problème avec les données Exif sur mon K7. Les distances focales en -dessous de 10mm ne sont pas enregistrées. Sur l'appareil dans les Info il y a ---mm et sous Lightroom ou Photoshop il n'y a aucune indication.
Pentax m'a renvoyé chez Sigma au prétexte qu'il n'assurent la compatibilité qu'avec les objectifs de leur marque.
j'ai contacté Sigma et j'attends leur réponse.
07-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Hope you get a better response than I did. Sigma gave me the impression they didn't care. Pentax support gave me the statement that sigma should have tested it first.