Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'm going to go ahead and be the black sheep, here. I actually don't think the DFA100WR has good manual focus feel. I find it too hard to be precise as there's just not enough rotational throw. It feels hair-trigger to me. It's a phenomenal lens for the money and AF is so good with it on my K7 that I rarely actually need to manual focus. My Zeiss has pretty much spoiled me for manual focusing. I can't imagine any lens feeling better than that one. I realize that it's designed to be a MF lens and that there's a major price difference, but after you use the Zeiss you won't care about that. It also only does 1:2 instead of 1:1 like the DFA. But again, after you use it you won't care. Or at least I don't. I'm sorry to gush but hey, I'm in love!
I think you are not necessarily wrong when you say manuel focus with DFA100WR is not great considering the Zeiss you have. Same goes if I compare it to my Voigtlander 58mm.
But MF on DFA100WR is very very good among the AF lenses -at least mines-

07-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Very surprisingly the Sigma 70-200 is the best manually focusable AF lens I have. Feels a little bit "dry" but focusing is very precise and with some good amount of damping.
Like already said, the Sigma 1.8/28 Macro is also good. Not great because of its rather short focus throw but also well damped.
Both of them beat the 16-50 easily.
07-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Definitely, the macros should go in that list. The FA 50 macro is gantastic to focus manually, especially with the focus clamp.

The DA21 LTD is also fantastic. The F50 f1,7 is pretty nice too.
07-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Sort of surprised you dont like the sigma 10-20/3.5 manual focusing... I find the 4-5.6 version to be the nicest manual focusing AF lens I have. What is it that you dont like about it? The focus throw?

I agree that the Tamron 28-75 is terrible for MF though

07-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The FA* lenses have a good manual focus operation. They don't have the modern day Quick Shift, instead you pull the focusing ring towards you to manually focus, and push it out again to autofocus.
Interesting. But if you switch AF off altogether, on the body, do you still have to pull the ring toward you to focus?
07-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Sort of surprised you dont like the sigma 10-20/3.5 manual focusing... I find the 4-5.6 version to be the nicest manual focusing AF lens I have. What is it that you dont like about it? The focus throw?
The throw is fine, or at least I don't remember not liking it. But the mechanical feel is not so nice. Too much damping, and it feels a bit like using (fine) sandpaper on something. (So gritty is perhaps too strong a word, but it's not smooth.)

Also having the focus scale move more slowly than the ring feels strange, if I'm looking.
07-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Interesting. But if you switch AF off altogether, on the body, do you still have to pull the ring toward you to focus?
I don't actually have any FA* lenses, but on my 645 FA lens, the ring becomes immobile when pushed to the AF position, so it seems likely that's also the case on the FA* lenses.

07-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
Very surprisingly the Sigma 70-200 is the best manually focusable AF lens I have. Feels a little bit "dry" but focusing is very precise and with some good amount of damping.
If looked this way, Sigma 100-300 is even better - good damping without the "dry" feeling. It also has push-pull focus ring and no HSM.
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I suppose I should try to pretend my DA35 doesn't have quick shift and see how annoyed I get. I suspect I'll end up using only MF (and I don't need to buy more expensive AF glass in that case), but I've certainly been wrong before.
This is kind of a dangerous tips: when you have to manual focus quickly with an AF lens which doesn't have quick shift, press the release button near the body mount. This will uncouple the body and the lens AF system. However, be carefull not to totally remove your lens from the body
07-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim71 Quote
If looked this way, Sigma 100-300 is even better - good damping without the "dry" feeling. It also has push-pull focus ring and no HSM.
I'll second that. The 100-300 is the best AF lens I have to manually focus. I would prefer a quick-shift to the push-pull collar, though. I like HSM a lot, but you really don't miss it on that lens.
07-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
This is kind of a dangerous tips: when you have to manual focus quickly with an AF lens which doesn't have quick shift, press the release button near the body mount. This will uncouple the body and the lens AF system. However, be carefull not to totally remove your lens from the body
Doesn't seem to be much of a risk when I try it, so I think it's a great tip. I suppose it might be more of a problem in the heat of the moment, or with a lens that mounts loosely or has stiff focusing.