Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Marc is right about prices. Hoya enforces Minimum Advertised Prices, which means that when you do a search, you get a bunch of similar "retail" prices. However, if you add the lenses to the carts in Amazon, B and H, etc. the price that comes up is considerably cheaper.

07-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sataraid1 Quote
Other manufacturers are making similar lenses two stops faster for considerably less.
Sorry, can you name me another manufacturer that makes stabilised versions of the following?

14/2.8, 15/4.0, 21/3.2, 31/1.8, 35/2.8, 40/2.8, 43/1.9, 50/1.4, 55/1.4, 70/2.4, 77/1.8

And once you find one, please check that the build quality, resolution, colour rendering, etc. are as good as Pentax.

Different brands are good for different things. Pentax is good for excellent primes.
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sataraid1 Quote
Pentax does not make this easy. I handle the K10 and find it to be a competent camera. Then I ponder the fact that I can't put a simple standard prime on it for less than $500, and it makes me cringe. It's not *all* about fast tele primes.
As Marc said, if you can accept buying used MF lenses, there are a lot of excrutiatingly good values in the Pentax-M, -A, and M42 mount market. Some are better than others, but all appear to be much more reasonably priced than their AF replacements.

If you need a new AF prime, then Canon and Nikon are the brands for you - they make inexpensive, affordable fast standard lenses where Pentax does not.
07-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
If you need a new AF prime, then Canon and Nikon are the brands for you - they make inexpensive, affordable fast standard lenses where Pentax does not.
So more fair would be to say, if you need an inexpensive standard prime and that's the *only* lens you ever plan to buy, and for whatever reason the DA40 doesn't cut it for you, then Nikon (not Canon; they don't offer a cheap normal either) is the brand for you. But if you plan on buying any lens after that one, you'll find Canon offers some Nikon and Pentax don't, Nikon offers some Canon and Pentax don't, and Pentax offers some doesn't Canon and Nikon don't, and in the long run it all pretty well averages out. Depending on your overall slant, one system might win over the other *for you*.

My own desire is a set of small primes that are stabilized. No one else makes anything remotely close to the DA Limiteds at *any* price, but if you do pick out the most similar lenses from the other manufacturers, you find they are much bigger, not stabilized, lack quick shift, are not digitally optimized - and still end up being no cheaper.

Someone else whose main focus is elsewhere might well find Canon or Nikon a better match overall.

07-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
As Marc said, if you can accept buying used MF lenses, there are a lot of excrutiatingly good values in the Pentax-M, -A, and M42 mount market. Some are better than others, but all appear to be much more reasonably priced than their AF replacements.

I would say that Canon and Nikon both make a couple of cheap primes. They are reasonably priced, but their upper end lenses (whether primes or zooms) will make your wallet bleed. The question is if you will be satisfied with the Canon 50 f1.8 or not. If you decide that you aren't satisfied and want to move up, there are options, but they are all pricey.

Pentax has decided, for whatever reason, not to release cheap lenses (with the exception of the DAL zooms).
07-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My own desire is a set of small primes that are stabilized. No one else makes anything remotely close to the DA Limiteds at *any* price, but if you do pick out the most similar lenses from the other manufacturers, you find they are much bigger, not stabilized, lack quick shift, are not digitally optimized - and still end up being no cheaper.
I'm with you.

For excellent build one would be restricted to Zeiss lenses, which are manual focus and lack auto-exposure contacts, and Voigtlander, which have the latter convenience but are MF only.