Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

weather sealing

So many times , like this it is a decision between the 16-50 and or 50-135 etc vs a third party brand and from my reading it is not so much a optical issue as a weather sealing issue

So the question, just how often does the average photographer- broad stroke- use, find useful or reassuring or require the weather sealing.

And just how " sealed" is the weather sealing- meaning ok in a big rainstorm like we are having now in Houston??

07-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The weather sealing's importance depends on an individual photographer. Hell, a fashion photographer in southern california would probably never even think of it. It depends on the weather you get where you shoot, whether or not you will need to shoot even if it's raining, and of course whether or not you shoot primarily indoors or out.

The weather sealing itself, though, is quite good. I have a K10D and I've shot in the rain and snow with it. I know at least one person here had their K20D swept out to sea by a wave and it still works fine. I wouldn't immerse it in water, but it'll probably take any kind of rain you're willing to be out in.
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The weather sealing is quite reassuring, even to someone who wouldn't Typically test it..

50-135 / K10d

In addition to being Weather resistant, it is also Dust resistant. Worth extra cash, you decide but the DA* lenses are about SO much more than Just being weather sealed.

DA*300 / K20d

DA*16-50 / K20d

DA*55 / K7

At least I think so.....

07-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I agree strongly with the earlier posts that "the weather sealing is quite reassuring" Off course it will depend upon your needs, what and where you shoot. If you like to shoot outdoor, and do not want to be restricted to some nice weather conditions only, then WR is a must.

Your post however queries both the camera and lens WR. In my opinion, the WR body is a requisite. For lenses, there are WR lenses. There are also some very solid lenses that are sturdy and that can take a lot. As long as you take good care (TLC) to the lens, a sturdy lens can take a lot...

Most Pentaxians will add that a further major risk when working outdoor or in rainy/dusty conditions is the lens swap. It can be very tricky to swap lenses in bad weather.

I work a lot outdoor when I cannot restrict myself to nice weather conditions. My prefered setup is a single camera-lens setup : ie I do not swap lenses. Some Pentaxians use two camera bodies to have two lenses but avoiding the lens swap.

Hope that the comment will assist....