Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Pickles, I was in your predicament a while back, it's very difficult to find a manual focus wide angle lens for a fair price. The Takumars are of great quality but in no way do they justify the prices they are pulling for ultra wides. You are paying for the rarity, not the quality in these instances.

Look at other options such as the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f4 (roughly $300). Or the Vivitar 19mm f3.8 ($150).

In the end, I almost went with the DA 15 ($500) but settled for the DA12-24 ($600) for the extra 3mm. They're not full frame but Pentax isn't ever going to come out with FF, anyway.
Unfortunately for me, part of the "satisfaction" of using my old Spotmatic 11 is that I like the old stuff, & I like all the "old", "factory" lenses, so I'd only be interested in a "period correct" Pentax lens. I realize that this is not the best practical attitude, or possibly the way to get the best images, but I just like using the old stuff.
There are a few K mount editions of this lens on Ebay, some not too flash, & I think only one complete with all original caps & case etc, prices from "opening bid" of $500, to "buy it now" of around $1500, but ttheir condition did not impress me.
The only M42 version I've seen is kevins!
I reckon that if I bought kevin's lens, my luck would be that an Aspheric version would crop up a day or so later!!!!...So, if you've got one, in mint condition, you know who to call.
Cheers, Pickles.

07-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Unfortunately for me, part of the "satisfaction" of using my old Spotmatic 11 is that I like the old stuff, & I like all the "old", "factory" lenses, so I'd only be interested in a "period correct" Pentax lens. I realize that this is not the best practical attitude, or possibly the way to get the best images, but I just like using the old stuff.
There are a few K mount editions of this lens on Ebay, some not too flash, & I think only one complete with all original caps & case etc, prices from "opening bid" of $500, to "buy it now" of around $1500, but ttheir condition did not impress me.
The only M42 version I've seen is kevins!
I reckon that if I bought kevin's lens, my luck would be that an Aspheric version would crop up a day or so later!!!!...So, if you've got one, in mint condition, you know who to call.
Cheers, Pickles.
Pickles, I completely agree with your sentiment. I only broke down and bought a DA 12-24 lens because I absolutely needed a wide angle lens for an upcoming photo shoot.

You just have to play the waiting game and check the marketplace/ebay frequently.

Speaking of which, another member Raymeedc is selling his mint condition Super Takumar 20mm f3.5 for $325 I believe. I declined because I'm broke as a joke but I mentioned that you were looking for one.
07-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pickles, I completely agree with your sentiment. I only broke down and bought a DA 12-24 lens because I absolutely needed a wide angle lens for an upcoming photo shoot.

You just have to play the waiting game and check the marketplace/ebay frequently.

Speaking of which, another member Raymeedc is selling his mint condition Super Takumar 20mm f3.5 for $325 I believe. I declined because I'm broke as a joke but I mentioned that you were looking for one.
Thanks for thinking of me!
That 20mm is on my "wish list"...just have to find the right one.
But, I'd be looking for the later SMC version, & of course it'd have to come with its unique hood, caps, & both cases.....I don't want much, do I?!
Thanks again.
Pickles.
07-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for thinking of me!
That 20mm is on my "wish list"...just have to find the right one.
But, I'd be looking for the later SMC version, & of course it'd have to come with its unique hood, caps, & both cases.....I don't want much, do I?!
Thanks again.
Pickles.
Don't get caught up in the collector's mode. You'll end up parting with more money than you'd intended. The SMC isn't that much better than the Super coating. The unique hood itself will probably cost you $40 if you're lucky. You'll end up using and damaging the equipment anyway, so why pay more for a pristine example?

07-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't get caught up in the collector's mode. You'll end up parting with more money than you'd intended. The SMC isn't that much better than the Super coating. The unique hood itself will probably cost you $40 if you're lucky. You'll end up using and damaging the equipment anyway, so why pay more for a pristine example?
Hangu...Thanks for talking....I appreciate it.
Your "ID"..NYC....Does that mean New York City?
We had 4 days there in 2001 on our way back to Australia....An AMAZING city...we were in a hotel just around the corner from Times square. I just liked being on the streets...seeing all the people...the traffic....the buildings....just amazing. We also climbed up the Statue Of Liberty. All this was only a couple of months before the Twin Towers disaster.
Took lots of photos (film) with our little Pentax 105 Zoom(all came out 100%!), just an amazing place.
Visited San Francisco & Alcatraz too....loved that city as well. My dream would be to drive Route 66 in an American Muscle Car (preferably Dodge Challenger 426 Hemi), & also maybe visit the site of Custer's last stand, & also see the Daytona 500 etc etc etc etc.....and if you think we love America....well you'd be right!
Sorry to get off track....so about the Lens..As I said, part of the pleasure for me REALLY is, owning the BEST of something, or at least, trying to. It's a bit like cars really..plenty of '65 Mustangs around, BUT to get one in unrestored factory original mint condition..is a bit of a challenge, but very rewarding when you become the owner....you're driving something really special.
Same with old Pentax lenses...plenty of them around, but trying to obtain some of the rarer ones in mint condition requires a bit of patience.
Cheers, Pickles.
07-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hangu...Thanks for talking....I appreciate it.
Your "ID"..NYC....Does that mean New York City?
We had 4 days there in 2001 on our way back to Australia....An AMAZING city...we were in a hotel just around the corner from Times square. I just liked being on the streets...seeing all the people...the traffic....the buildings....just amazing. We also climbed up the Statue Of Liberty. All this was only a couple of months before the Twin Towers disaster.
Took lots of photos (film) with our little Pentax 105 Zoom(all came out 100%!), just an amazing place.
Visited San Francisco & Alcatraz too....loved that city as well. My dream would be to drive Route 66 in an American Muscle Car (preferably Dodge Challenger 426 Hemi), & also maybe visit the site of Custer's last stand, & also see the Daytona 500 etc etc etc etc.....and if you think we love America....well you'd be right!
Sorry to get off track....so about the Lens..As I said, part of the pleasure for me REALLY is, owning the BEST of something, or at least, trying to. It's a bit like cars really..plenty of '65 Mustangs around, BUT to get one in unrestored factory original mint condition..is a bit of a challenge, but very rewarding when you become the owner....you're driving something really special.
Same with old Pentax lenses...plenty of them around, but trying to obtain some of the rarer ones in mint condition requires a bit of patience.
Cheers, Pickles.
I understand. I'm pretty much the same. I just like to tell people to do as I say, not as I do... I definitely try to collect lenses in pristine condition. But it annoys me when I accidentally chip a bit of the paint off. It's inevitable, so I try to get lenses in not so great cosmetic condition. This way, I use them more often and don't feel as bad when wear and tear happens. Oh and I save a few bucks too.

The reason why I haven't gone after the ultra wide angle Pentax lenses is because they're all upwards of $500+. Every single one of them. At that price, the newer DA lenses offer better image quality at around the same price. If you must use them on a Spotmatic, check out the Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm lens, they've really risen in price in the last year or two as well and I just don't think their image quality is good enough to justify the ridiculous price tags. I have no problem paying good money for an SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8, 85mm 1.9, 35mm 3.5 or 35mm f2.0 because they're all great lenses that are worth every penny. I just don't see the value in the ultra wide Taks. Cheaper alternatives abound.

The Tokina 17mm, Vivitar 19mm and Tokina 21mm seem to be the cheapest with the most value nowadays. If you must get a Takumar, once again, Raymeedc's 20mm Tak is in mint condition so that's probably your best chance to get a wide angle Tak in pristine condition.

--------------

I do live in NYC, I've yet to visit San Francisco and Australia but I do want to visit it soon! I have a friend or two in Australia and San Fran so it'll be great to see them as well.

I've lived in NYC all my life yet I've never visited the Statue of Liberty.