Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What's a FAST (used to be fast) film lens

I need a fast 2.8 autofocus telephoto film lens to mount on my k10d until I can get enough cash for a digital telephoto 2.8. PLEASE make some recommendations of old autofocus lenses that used to be considered really fast, I don't care about noisy, but quick and 2.8 is what I need for outdoor sports. If you see anything on KEH that might work they're prices are perfect for my budget. Or if you have one to sell I'll buy it. Don't care about brand either.

07-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Budget? Approximate focal length?
07-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neverbnnba Quote
I need a fast 2.8 autofocus telephoto film lens to mount on my k10d until I can get enough cash for a digital telephoto 2.8. PLEASE make some recommendations of old autofocus lenses that used to be considered really fast, I don't care about noisy, but quick and 2.8 is what I need for outdoor sports. If you see anything on KEH that might work they're prices are perfect for my budget. Or if you have one to sell I'll buy it. Don't care about brand either.
Noise has nothing to do with lenses, except when you crank up the ISO to compensate for slow lenses.

Pentax "film" (film-era?) 2.8 zoom lenses aren't necessarily cheaper than current third party lenses and their focusing will probably be slower.

You really need to define the focusing distance. 100-200mm?

Oh and 2.8 is still fast for a zoom lens, things haven't changed that much.
07-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, but above the 135mm focal length, f2.8 was considered as "fast" in the film days, too. There were faster alternatives, but the trade-off was always either, 'price' or 'image quality'.

07-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
sorry, by fast I meant quick to focus

I meant fast as in not notorious for "hunting" for focus... focusing fast is what I meant to say. My budget is under $200 and focal length of 135mm or better. While I'm at it can someone explain the benefit of a "prime" lens?
07-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A lot of hunting for focus is caused by the camera body itself. Newer SDM lenses are actually slower than old screwmounts.

A budget of $200 is going to be very difficult.

What do you mean 135mm or better? Any zoom higher than 135mm?

Prime lenses are usually smaller, cheaper, better image quality, lighter, faster, etc. The only tradeoff is really the lack of zoom.
07-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You basically aren't going to find an AF lens of 135mm and f/2.8 for under $200.

Also, focus speed is more dependent on camera than lens for the most part - and "hunting" in particular is definitely a camera thing primarily. An unusually soft/low contrast lens won't help, but beyond that, for the most part, you just won't see enough difference between lenses in this focal length range to be worth making a consideration.

Although most people today don't seem to believe it, people shot sports for a century before AF was invented. Babe Ruth was never shot with a telephoto lens. Neither was Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, Catfish Hunter, or Thurman Munson (just to name some illustrious Yankees whose careers were over before AF became common in the 1980's).

Anyhow, MF is realistically the only way to get an f/2.8 telephoto in your budget. Speed will be limited only be your own skill - and that gets better with practice (something not true of an AF lens!)

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-03-2010 at 02:41 PM.
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Thank you Marc for mentioning all Yankees.

Especially since they just scored 11 runs in the 3rd inning against Toronto.

07-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

your best bet would be looking for a rare F/FA135. although it would be a longshot to find one for under $200 in good condition. if you are able to find one for such a price, consider yourself to be extremely lucky. the lens is rare enough to find, even more so to be sold at less than $200.

as the others had mentioned, the only 135/2.8 lenses that you will be able to find for less than $200 without any difficulty nor breaking any sweat looking for one, are MF lenses.
07-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

as the others had mentioned, the only 135/2.8 lenses that you will be able to find for less than $200 without any difficulty nor breaking any sweat looking for one, are MF lenses.
I haven't even really seen any of THOSE available.

135 3.5 Taks maybe, but 2.8?

Not challenging, just asking.
07-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I haven't even really seen any of THOSE available.

135 3.5 Taks maybe, but 2.8?

Not challenging, just asking.
actually I was referring about 3rd-party lenses which have an f2.8 aperture speed. although I had seen and even skipped buying some Pentax K 135/2.5 and SMC Tak and SuperTak 135/2.5 several times in the past for $200 and even less. upon seeing such lenses being sold for over $200 nowadays is just ridiculously overpriced IMO.
07-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Thank you Marc for mentioning all Yankees.

Especially since they just scored 11 runs in the 3rd inning against Toronto.
Big deal. Who hasn't scored that many runs against Toronto?

OP, get an M42 to K adapter and start searching. I'm sure there's enough out there for sale for well under your budget. Considering the distances you will probably be shooting at, you will more than likely be focused to infinity anyway, so it won't matter how fast it focuses. It will always be in focus.

If AF is truly what you seek, you don't need f/2.8. Sure, it's nice. But for outdoor sports, a 70-300 f/4-5.6 and jacking the ISO (even on a K10D) will get you plenty usable shots.