Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Which lens

Hello, i have just got a Pentax k-x and i have the kit lens DAL 18-55. I want to get a zoom lens and i can get the DAL 55-300 that comes with the kit lens. Or i can get a Tamron 18-250mm. How does the Tamron compare with the kit lenses for the K-X.

cheers.

07-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron 18-250mm and its brother Pentax DA18-250mm is one of the leading long-zoom lenses among all brands incl. Canikon, Olympus and co. For the range, it is regarded as a leading lens and used by many Pentaxians incl. professionals.

Like any zoom, the 18-250mm is not flawless, but its versatility is a major, major asset. It can be highly recommended, especially as an all-around lens that you can take with you K-x: no need another lens and no need to swap lenses.

This is a major advantage especially outdoor compared to a 2 lenses setup. The lens is always mounted on the camera, you can carry your body+lens in a small top-loader bag, you do not take any risk in swapping lenses (if wet, dirty, dusty), and you won't miss any action in between 2 lenses.

The only flaw: the 18-250mm is hard to find. The other alternative is the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM. A bit dearer, and OS is not needed. But some good reports were posted in this forum.
07-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The Tamron 18-250mm and its brother Pentax DA18-250mm is one of the leading long-zoom lenses among all brands incl. Canikon, Olympus and co. For the range, it is regarded as a leading lens and used by many Pentaxians incl. professionals.

Like any zoom, the 18-250mm is not flawless, but its versatility is a major, major asset. It can be highly recommended, especially as an all-around lens that you can take with you K-x: no need another lens and no need to swap lenses.

This is a major advantage especially outdoor compared to a 2 lenses setup. The lens is always mounted on the camera, you can carry your body+lens in a small top-loader bag, you do not take any risk in swapping lenses (if wet, dirty, dusty), and you won't miss any action in between 2 lenses.

The only flaw: the 18-250mm is hard to find. The other alternative is the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM. A bit dearer, and OS is not needed. But some good reports were posted in this forum.
Thanks for the reply is this the 18-250 too heavy using it as a holiday lens or would it be ok.
07-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i would go for the DA 55-300, NOT the kit one. I think it feels better to hold and use than the Tamron and quick shift is super useful.

07-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have seen some great photos from the 18-250 but.... the 18-250 has more distortion at wide compared to the 18-55 and is softer through much of the range of the 55-300 , esp past about 150mm.

I was looking for a DA18-250 earlier this year when they were disappearing, missed out and "settled for" getting a 55-300. Settled for is perhaps the wrong word because I'm very impressed with it all the way to 300mm. It weighs a bit (440g) so I dont take it every time but with the 18-250 weighing about the same I also I think its a bit heavy to keep on all the time so i'm kind of glad I didnt find one.

+1 on the Quickshift with the 18-250 lasks
07-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xedent Quote
Thanks for the reply is this the 18-250 too heavy using it as a holiday lens or would it be ok.
The DA18-250mm is not too heavy. I have the K-7 +DA18-250mm and the weigth is fine. The K-x is lighter and it will result in a lighter system.
07-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In short, the 55-300 will be better at 55-250 (and 250-300, obviously). The question is whether you want a lens can do everything somewhat well, or a lens that is a very decent telezoom, but has you switching lenses for anything below 55mm. They're really quite different lenses, and only your preference for either type should be the deciding factor here. I would personally go for the 55-300, but you might prefer an all-in-one solution.
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's no doubt whatsoever the *quality* will be better with the two lens kit than the superzoom, especially at the widest and longest ends (might be a wash in the middle). Only you can decide if its worth sacrificing a bit of image quality for convenience. There are plenty of sample images available in the various "lens club" threads here in this forum, as well as the lens reviews on this site, as well as other lens reviews, to help you decide.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.
07-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help guys.!
07-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
rkt

another +1 for the 18-250 ... while not optically better than more specific zooms ... it is light weight and versatile, with decent results ... and possibly the most convenient lens for holidays when you just want to carry a lens and body ...
07-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
There's no doubt whatsoever the *quality* will be better with the two lens kit than the superzoom, especially at the widest and lognest ends (might be a wash in the middle). Only you can decide if its worth sacrificing a bit of image quality for convenience.
Interestingly enough, when I tested a Tamron 18-250 against a Sigma 18-200 (with Sony gear) their worst performance was around 100mm - both resolved details on a map quite poorly in that zone. And for my uses the 18-200 (Quantaray badge from Ritz, $150 on clearance last year!) was the better fit, smaller and lighter with equivalent IQ and a bit less range. If you really want to go that way, and size matters, seek a Sigma 18-200 (the Tamron 18-200 has good copies but reviews like it less; cameralabs or slrgear sites have more on that).

Personally though, I've just ordered a 55-300 to go with my 16-45. I can bring myself to switch lenses now and then, and it's reasonably light. I've heard that most copies of the 55-300 are still f/4.5 to 200mmą, whereas my 18-250 went to f/6.3 at 135 (the Sigma stayed 5.6 to 190mm). That 's a decently large difference in shutter speed at that focal length! The 18-250 is nice though, and as noted its versatility is what sells. A k-x can bump up iso to cover the slow f/ratio, but I can't say how focus speed / hunting might be.

Good luck with your decision!