Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the samyang (aka. Bower, pro-optic vivitar etc. ). 8pm F3.5

07-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Do you have a 28mm lens for your Spotmatic? if so, screw it on, and look through the viewfinder. The kit lens at 18mm will be JUST a hair wider than the 28 on your Spottie.

Here is an example of the kit lens at 18mm.

07-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Do you have a 28mm lens for your Spotmatic? if so, screw it on, and look through the viewfinder. The kit lens at 18mm will be JUST a hair wider than the 28 on your Spottie.

Here is an example of the kit lens at 18mm.

I don't have a 28mm on M42 mount. Thanks for the tip though, I'll check it out!
07-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Another vote for the Zenitar 16/2.8. Stopped down to f5.6 or so it's decently sharp, and you can easily de-fish if you don't like the fisheye effect. It's more expensive now than it used to be, you may be able to find it for less than $100 used, otherwise I think you're looking at a used DA 18-55, which is a decent lens for the money as well.

Also agree that stitching is a cheap way to get an ultra-wide perspective without buying an ultra-wide lens. Throw a couple of vertical frames together and you can get a real nice field of view.

07-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
I have a Pentax-A 28mm F2.8. I'd love to have something wider, even a fisheye would be fun.
It doesn't have to be AF, and it could be either K-Mount or M42.

I still don't know if I'd fall in love with ultra-wide or not, it would be more of an experiment, so I wouldn't want to spend more than $100. Looking around I only find lenses that are out of my budget.

The lens database is quite limited for little known ultra-wide gems that might be out there. I know there has to be some of you that might own or have tried some surprising ultra-wides that give good results.

Any suggestions? Maybe there aren't any. At least I'll know!

Thanks,

Flickeroo.
Fisheyes are a hoot. You may find a Zenitar 16 for a little over $100. They also work very well with video, I have discovered.
07-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I cannot say that I have "much" experience with film cameras, other than a quick introduction course 25 years ago where I had a Pentax K1000 for a short time.
Similar story for me.

QuoteQuote:
However, I am in the process of learning about photography by reading books. Many of these were written before the advent of digital, therefore I must base what I see as results a bit differently with a digital camera.
Right; when reading those books (and pretty much *only* when reading those books), it will make sense for you to mentally convert all the focal lengths they mention to APS-C equivalent by dividing everything by 1.5. But when discussing lens with other DSLR users, no need to do any such conversion - it just confused the issue. Just talk about the actual focal lengths you want, not the focal length that might have been similar on a camera few of us use.
07-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #22
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Right; when reading those books (and pretty much *only* when reading those books), it will make sense for you to mentally convert all the focal lengths they mention to APS-C equivalent by dividing everything by 1.5. But when discussing lens with other DSLR users, no need to do any such conversion - it just confused the issue. Just talk about the actual focal lengths you want, not the focal length that might have been similar on a camera few of us use.
Good point, I'll be more careful of that in the future.
07-06-2010, 04:56 AM   #23
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Fisheyes are a hoot. You may find a Zenitar 16 for a little over $100. They also work very well with video, I have discovered.

Is it because of the huge DOF? I remember reading that you can focus some to infinity and just leave them for video in focus. I might be mistaken though. Do I have it correctly?

Last edited by Flickeroo; 07-06-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Changed FOV for DOF because I'm a moron.
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

What kind of stuff are you going to be shooting? Fisheyes are interesting, but after about three photos, I'm over it...
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Is it because of the huge FOV? I remember reading that you can focus some to infinity and just leave them for video in focus. I might be mistaken though. Do I have it correctly?
I have done that and so has my wife with a WA lens. Since all the photos were going to be scenic the WA lens stayed on infinity. It was new to us plus we were using it on a film camera, a 24 mm. Then we stopped at a scenic overlook and she wanted pictures of the various Forest Service signs that were in place and I found it was a lot of fun to close focus with the lens. I do enjoy WA lenses and I am doing all these things with the 18-55 kit lens or the same 24 mm mentioned above for close focus which is a Tamron SP Adaptall 2 mount with a PKA adapter on it and easy to use even when manually focusing.
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm following this thread with casual interest but just wanted to note that urje's wonderful photo is going to make me reconsider my prejudice against fisheyes.
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #27
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
What kind of stuff are you going to be shooting? Fisheyes are interesting, but after about three photos, I'm over it...

I've been doing a bit of gig photography and food photography lately, and I wish to use it for strange portrait photography, maybe even have a crack at architecture.
I like that I don't have a style or preference yet, I'm exploring.
I know it might be unusual to use ultra-wides for that, but I've seen some really interesting results.
07-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've been doing a bit of gig photography and food photography lately, and I wish to use it for strange portrait photography, maybe even have a crack at architecture.
I know it might be unusual to use ultra-wides for that, but I've seen some really interesting results.
Sounds good to mix it up, why not try something different. But what I mean is fish-eyes versus normal ultra-wides. The fish-eye look could get a bit much after a while.

Last edited by CWyatt; 07-06-2010 at 04:47 PM.
07-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
Agreed. Someone could use wide-angle all the time, but i've never seen an exclusive fisheye user.
I think used in moderation they can be a wonderful addition to a photographer's bag.
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #30
Inactive Account

I can recommend the M42 mount SMC Takumar 4/17 (Full Frame) Fisheye lens.

Very sharp, immense DOF, good flare resistance, and it makes for interesting architecture or portrait photography.

However, it does -probably- cost more than your $100-00 limit.

Check this link:

Takumar 17mm f4 (1967) lens review - dyxum.com