Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
55 to 300 is from tele to supertele, and less than 6x. 18 tot 250 is from wide to supertele, and nearly 14x. That's quite a difference. I also doubt Pentax designed the X90 lens. My guess is the Pentax P&S and X90 are all made by other, unknown companies (that also churn out equally boring cameras for other brands).

That said, I think Pentax could benefit from having their own superzoom. Perhaps the zoom-ratio need not be as ambitious as the Tamron lenses, but adding WR would provide Pentax with yet another niche. As said, a 17-150 WR lens would certainly turn heads. Especially if Pentax come up with a new budget WR body.
Yeah. 55-300 is only a slight improvement on the now "classic" 70-300 formula, one which is probably easily doable by taking a 70-300 FF design and restricting it to APS-C bodies only.

18-250, however, is VERY difficult to do without severely compromising IQ. It's only recently that Sigma and Tamron were able to pull off superzooms in the 10X+ range on APS-C or FF coverage without awful IQ.

Pentax does "moderate zooms" very well, but I don't think I've ever seen a superzoom designed by them.

The lack of a Pentax 18-250 isn't that big of a deal, since the Sigma 18-250 is such a great lens. I have one and it's a GREAT travel lens.

07-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A weather-resistant travel lens would also sell the relatively compact and weather-resistant K-7 as the travel body of choice.
07-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In hindsight, I agree; the Pentax bridge camera is probably designed and made by a 3rd party in China (I would guess the same factory as is making the Kodak bridge camera).

I agree with the last two comments that a WR lens would be a powerful differentiator.
07-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Pentax are able to produce a very competent and well priced nearly-6X zoom in the 55-300. While it's obviously apples to oranges, they make a competent 26X zoom for their bridge model.
Neither of those are remotely close to producing a DSLR superzoom. Anyhow, I'm not saying they couldn't do it - just that they have no *expertise* in it, and so could hardly be expected to do it cheaper or better than Sigma or Tamron. Seems crazy to imagine otherwise.

QuoteQuote:
Every camera maker offers a (more expensive than 3rd party) branded superzoom lens.
True, and frankly, I think they're foolish to do so. But as much bigger companies with much larger production facilities than Pentax, they can better afford to produce such unnecessary lenses just for the sake of "completeness" without affecting their ability to produce the lenses tat are truly needed. I am not so sure Pentax can afford to make lenses that they can't provide significant added value with. When you have limited resources, whatever resources they spend producing an unnecessary "me too" superzoom could be *much* more profitably spent producing a lens that fills a real need.

QuoteQuote:
I am not insulting Pentax for not making a superzoom. Please note that I said their silence was disrespectful, not their decision to make / not make the lens. BIG difference.
OK, but since when do companies go around "announcing intentions" like that? It's practically unheard of. And for good reason - when you announce an intention and then change your mind, people get *really* pissed.

07-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

So I'm still not seeing the advantage overall - why a customer would pay a premium for a lens that would most likely be worse overall. Not that I'd be opposed to them going out on a limb and risking spending all that R&D money to develop a more expensive and optically inferior lens that wouldn't sell well, *if* they thought they did have a reasonable chance of success (defined as being able to do it either cheaper or better than the more experienced people who have been doing it for over a decade and have much larger production capabilities and hence lower unit costs).

But I'm not seeing it as being a very wise move personally, and I certainly am not seeing any reason for saying that failure to take this enormous risk is "baffling" or "disrespectful". That just makes no sense at all to me. It's one thing to go out on a limb and ask that Pentax take a giant gamble, it's another to insult them for not doing it.
Marc, I think you are on the money here, plus Sigma and Tamron can put many mounts on the same lens and sell huge numbers of lenses, Pentax can't come close to those sales with one mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I'd like to see Pentax reclaim its old niche by making a travel lens that is more restrained in its range but of higher quality and/or more compact and/or featuring WR. That would be a genuine alternative, especially if they could extend the wide end by a mm or so. I would snap up a 17-150 that is sharp at both ends in a heartbeat. Add WR, and you'd have a killer travel lens for the enthusiast.
This would make more sense than to follow the crowd.
07-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As I noted above, adding WR to a quality "semi-super" zoom would help sell the Pentax WR camera bodies as well.