Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can't tell if I have dust inside my lens

I've noticed some dark spots on some recent pictures, mostly in blue sky shots. I've cleaned the lens with a lens pen and taken some more practice shots, attached below..

I can see a few tiny marks on the lens, and I can't tell if its dust on the inside, or little chips on the outside (and I think they've been there for months, but I just noticed the spots today).

Any ideas from the pics below?

Last edited by qtopplings; 11-20-2010 at 11:46 AM.
07-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's usually on the sensor. A rocket blower will help.
07-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just make SURE you do not touch anything inside with the rocket blower. Check your manual on how to do "mirror lock up" and also make sure to do this in a dust free environment. As small as those are, they should be VERY easy to clone out in Photoshop.
07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dust have to be very large in order to show up in a photograph. They'd also show up as large blurry dots. This is definitely dust on your sensor based on how small and sharp the edges are.

07-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
hmm... I just changed lenses and I'm still getting dark spots. Also a thin line across the top. I've tried doing the sensor cleaning (I have a K200D) and dust detection, and it comes up clean. I haven't changed anything since I got back from a trip to Turkey, and all of those pictures came out fine, no spots.
07-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
hmm... I just changed lenses and I'm still getting dark spots. Also a thin line across the top. I've tried doing the sensor cleaning (I have a K200D) and dust detection, and it comes up clean. I haven't changed anything since I got back from a trip to Turkey, and all of those pictures came out fine, no spots.
If you have dust on the sensor, which I believe you do, changing the lenses will do nothing. I'll bet you're seeing the spots in the same place, regardless of the lens. I'm not seeing any Lines on your two photos though. You may need to do a touch the sensor clean rather than just the dust shaker or rocket blower.

07-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Places where dust pollution will not show up in pictures:
The lens.
The mirror.
The focusing screen/viewfinder.

Places where the presence of dust will be visible in the viewfinder but not in pictures:

The focusing screen.

Places where the presence of dust will be visible in pictures:
The camera sensor.