Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Auto-Takumar 55mm F1.9

I picked up a Auto-Takumar 55mm F1.9 today. According to the lens database, it's a rare lens. Can someone give me the run down about it? I didn't get the camera that went with it thinking it was just another screw mount Pentax body, I have plenty of those. But supposedly the Tower 29 is also a rare body.

07-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto takumars are simply screwmount lenses with manual diaphragms Apart from that, the 55mm is a normal, standard lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travfar Quote
I picked up a Auto-Takumar 55mm F1.9 today. According to the lens database, it's a rare lens. Can someone give me the run down about it? I didn't get the camera that went with it thinking it was just another screw mount Pentax body, I have plenty of those. But supposedly the Tower 29 is also a rare body.
I would like to see some pics of it. It should be the Auto-Takumar 55mm f1.8. The Tower 29 was marketed by Sears and was the Asahi Pentax K. It should have a 'Zebra' version of the Tak. I would be interested in seeing some images of your camera including your Zebra. The Sears Zebras may have had a rare f1.9 variation of the Zebra lens.

The Asahi Optical Historical Club has a timeline of bodies

here: Screwmount

Here is my K

07-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I would like to see some pics of it. It should be the Auto-Takumar 55mm f1.8.
Nope. There was an f/1.9 produced exclusively for the Towers.

Have a look here.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

This is a grail piece. Saw one a while back on a Tower and the camera went for serious dollars as a result.

woof

Last edited by woof; 07-06-2010 at 05:56 PM.
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Nope. There was an f/1.9 produced exclusively for the Towers.

Have a look here.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

This is a grail piece. Saw one a while back on a Tower and the camera went for serious dollars as a result.

woof
Woof go back and look at my entire post rather than the 1 sentence you quoted. That significantly changed the context! Unfortunately, not all the Tower 29 comes with the f1.9 version plus the 29's don't show up much.

QuoteQuote:
. . . I would be interested in seeing some images of your camera including your Zebra. The Sears Zebras may have had a rare f1.9 variation of the Zebra lens.
07-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I just looked in Nigel's old M-fortytwo data base and my data base and between the 2, there is a total of 1 serial # for the f1.9 Zebra.

darkside
07-06-2010, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I would like to see some pics of it.
Here it is. I haven't had a chance to clean it yet. So it's dusty but "clean". The lenses are clear and everything seems to work. Once I get the chance to clean it, I'll see how it shoots. I bought it because I thought it would make a good compact prime for a NEX or E-P mirrorless body.

Is this the lens of legend?

Attached Images

07-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #8

$7? I think that must be the loot of the month.

If it's anything like the other 55 tak, you won't be disapointed. Those are really nice pieces of glass. Just remember to use a hood with it.

By the way, I don't know if Adam or you would say yes. But, since there's no image for the 55/1.9 in the lens database, could you kindly share a pic of it for everyone for the lens review database?
07-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Optically and functionally it should be the same as the regular 'Zebra' for the K. These lenses work very well when used with a hood.

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote

If it's anything like the other 55 tak, you won't be disapointed. Those are really nice pieces of glass. Just remember to use a hood with it.
. . .

Given that it is on the appropriate Tower 29, it easily qualifies as the loot of the summer! In fact a picture for the m42 camera data base would be a good idea also.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/100370-pentax-...-database.html

Last edited by Blue; 07-07-2010 at 08:29 AM.
07-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
I didn't pay $7 for it. It was 50% off Monday so it was $3.50.
07-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travfar Quote
I didn't pay $7 for it. It was 50% off Monday so it was $3.50.
I just checked my data bases and we made a mistake. Your lens and camera are only worth using as a paper weight. However, I'm willing to pay back your $3.50, another $3.50 and $7 for your troubles and shipping.

All joking aside, that just changed it from the loot of the summer to the loot of the year!

Edit: Go back and get the body even if you don't want it . . .
07-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I have a 2.2/55 Auto Takumar which came with a "mint" S1/H1 body (as well as a working clip on light meter of the day). Other than being a little prone to flare and having to remember to "cock" it for focusing, it is a very fine lens.

BTW, some of these older bodies have the feature of closing down the aperture (which is fully opened by cocking it for focusing with the lever at the side of the lens) to the pre-set f-stop on the first press of the shutter release. At this point, you can admire the DOF. Then, taking up the second pressure of the shutter release, the shutter actuates taking the shot. This can be a bit unnerving if you weren't expecting it.

These old cameras are beautifully constructed and, given a good CLA, should easilty last another 50 years.

Last edited by Banjo; 07-07-2010 at 06:22 PM.
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Auto takumars are simply screwmount lenses with manual diaphragms Apart from that, the 55mm is a normal, standard lens.
Well, what's the "auto" part?
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, what's the "auto" part?
Relative to Super Taks, S-M-C Taks and SMC Taks, Auto-Taks are actually semi-automatic meaning they have to be cocked for each image. Once cocked they fire just like a Super Tak set on A.
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here's a test shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A300  Photo