Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tokina AF 20-35mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone who's also using this lens? What has been your experience?
I got one recently and it's becoming my favorite.
Here's some sample shots:
Tokina AF 20-35 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tokina AF 20-35mm on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

07-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #2

Original Poster
191 views and no reply. This lens has obviously become rare but its worth getting one when its available.

07-10-2010, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #3

Yes - I have this lens. It's certainly a keeper. Although... I must admit, I haven't used it in a long time. It got replaced by the 31mm. And since then, I now do the zooming with my feet! The wider end got replaced with a FA 20mm f2.8 - which I absolutely love.

There are a couple of different versions. I have the 77mm filter version, fluro orange band at front, focus distance markings on zoom barrel (so no window). Metal construction - very solid build - built like a tank. (Heavy.) Mine also came with the Tokina BH-773 petal hood. About 7-8 years ago, everyone was going gangbusters over this lens. The rumour was that it was sharper than the Canon 20-35mm lens - at half the price. In fact, there was talk of little IQ difference to much more expensive Tokina AT-X version that came out later - about the time this lens was discontinued. It got replaced by a lesser (in build and IQ) 19-35mm version. The thing about the Tokina 20-35mm AF was the sharpness. And it is very sharp. (This was surprising for a wide angle zoom lens.) Stopped down to f8 - it is tack sharp in centre as any prime / and provided decent corner to corner sharpness. The sharpness is very acceptable wide open too. There are noticeable distortions at either end - especially at 20mm. I found that if you didn't push it wider than say 23mm - everything was okay. (This helped when taking Architectural shots.)

On FF - this lens was pretty amazing. I spent a couple of years with it being glued to the front of my trusty MX - it was the ultimate landscape lens - shooting Velvia-50. The colour isn't bad - but Pentax shooters are a little spoilt in that department. All non-Pentax SMC lenses can fall a little flat sometimes. Actually, it is a very contrasty lens - but you need to be weary of flare - which will wash out the colour and contrast.

For some reason - my copy has a tendency to over-expose. Although, that is easily compensated for. I remember that it can focus really close too. What I always loved was how bad-ass it looks on the front of any Pentax camera. In fact, I just pulled it out and stuck it on my K20D. Seriously, that's a mean looking piece of kit. I think you've just inspired me to pull it out of retirement and go and shoot with it.
Attached Images

07-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Tumble. Excellent review. I'm glad there's at least one person here who has had experience with this lens, and it has been good. I was also looking at the ATX version and the 19-35 but I'm glad I ended up getting this one.(I heard they've just discontinued the 19-35 as well) The only problem with an old lens like this is that it can be difficult getting accessories for them. I've been searching all over but can't find the petal hood or even a generic hood that will fit. It is heavy but I don't mind the weight. Apart from that I've had no problems with the copy I have.

You're right. It does look bad-ass on a pentax and draws looks and glances from fellow photogs. Just today I caught a Canikonite staring at it intently apparently trying the make out what it was. I'm happy you took yours out of retirement. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
07-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #5

Tokina AF 235

Banitess - what filter thread size version do you have? I notice yours has the distance scale in a window - rather than on the zoom barrel like mine. My 77mm version came with the Tokina BH-773 petal hood. It seems Tokina no longer make the BH-773:

THK Photo Products, Inc.

I think it was replaced with the BH-771. I do remember many recommending the BH-771 hood for this lens. But I am unsure if it fits the 72mm or 77mm version? Or if it is the right version for you?

You should definitely look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/104299-tokina-...sion-i-ii.html
07-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have the 72mm (I version) with the window. If BH-771 is for the II version (like yours) it will be too big for mine. My best hope is to find a second hand hood on ebay (highly unlikely but possible) or a generic rubber one that fits (also no luck so far) Thanks for the links and God bless!
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #7

Tokina 20-35mm 1 3.5-5.6 Lens for Pentax - eBay, Lenses, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 17-Jul-10 15:41:00 AEST)

omg!

07-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
This is a great deal!
07-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey tumble,

I finally got the petal hood today. Its USD15 made in China generic plastic with "Mennon" brand name. I took this shot indoors as its raining here today. Thanks for your help. God bless!
DC-s 72 Screw Mount 72mm Flower Lens Hood, Black [LHP011DCS72] - $14.95 : Mennon USA, Photo accessories - Lens hoods, grey cards, white balance caps, camera grips and straps, remote controls
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots, maybe could use some added contrast in PP? But why don't you link your pics directly here? When I have to click a link to see a page with pictures, chances are I think it's too much work.
07-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #12

Hey there. Glad to hear (and see) that you got a hood for your lens. Now it looks just as bad-ass as mine!

The front element is rather large and exposed - so it's a worthwhile investment. The last thing you need is colour and contrast washout ruining a perfect shot. (Even if the Tokina multi-coating is awesome.) I like your new pics - especially the temple ones. Nice job.
07-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Nice shots, maybe could use some added contrast in PP? But why don't you link your pics directly here? When I have to click a link to see a page with pictures, chances are I think it's too much work.
Thanks Ovim. Unfortunately I don't have PP yet but I'm planning to get one. For now I don't retouch my pics except for some cropping with Windows or resizing with Irfanview.

As to linking the photos, truth is I haven't quite mastered how to do that yet so it's easier for me to cut and past the link.
07-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tumbleguts Quote
Hey there. Glad to hear (and see) that you got a hood for your lens. Now it looks just as bad-ass as mine!

The front element is rather large and exposed - so it's a worthwhile investment. The last thing you need is colour and contrast washout ruining a perfect shot. (Even if the Tokina multi-coating is awesome.) I like your new pics - especially the temple ones. Nice job.
Thanks again Tumble. In the shop I got it from, the largest hood was the 77cm followed by the 72cm and they both looked huge even without the lens. I can imagine how gigantic and intimidating your camera and lens are in person. Really BAD-ASS!