Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Weather Resistant Lenses???

Are there any film era Autofocus or even screwmount lenses that are weather resistant?? i know the WR designation is currently used but what designation if any can I watch for when shopping the old school lenses?

07-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neverbnnba Quote
Are there any film era Autofocus or even screwmount lenses that are weather resistant?? i know the WR designation is currently used but what designation if any can I watch for when shopping the old school lenses?
The older M42 and K-mount manual focus lenses were made mostly with metal, so WR would be out. They also had too many moving parts that water could get into. Some form of a plastic cover over your camera/lens was all you had back then.

Phil.
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the Pentax DA* series lenses are WR as well.

Note however that WR does not mean waterproof and there is sometimes some misunderstanding. When working outdoor, we always need to be careful with the lenses, even WR lenses.

With experience, you also learn to know/trust your lenses: some are better suited for all-weather conditions than others. For example, I shoot often outdoor and have 3 non-WR lenses. Among these, my Nokton 58mm is definitely the most solid and I consider it basically WR. The DA18-250mmm is also solid, but I am carefull with the zoom pump action which might bring dust or water drops into the lens. I am, on the other hand, much more careful with the Tamron SP90mm.
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
...With experience, you also learn to know/trust your lenses: some are better suited for all-weather conditions than others...
This is so true. I shot for years in all weather with my film cameras confident that the general camera and lens design tends to keep incidental moisture in its place. That is saying a lot since I live in the very wet part of the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.. Traditional manual focus lenses are actually pretty robust to moisture intrusion and dry out nicely when it occurs.

Steve

07-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks Phil, I wondered about that.
07-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
oooo hcc, that's great info man, thanks! The DA tip is just what i needed. I'm not familiar with Nokton lenses I'll check them out now...
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
You must be right about the northwest because tons of the used pentax equipment is for sale in Washington state, specifically Seattle! I guy I do a lot of work for has me shoot with his Nikon D3 with a Sigma Bigma 50-500mm, i've used it in driving rain with no problem, that beast is fun to shoot but so damn heavy it will physically destroy you on a 12hour shoot.
07-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is so true. I shot for years in all weather with my film cameras confident that the general camera and lens design tends to keep incidental moisture in its place. That is saying a lot since I live in the very wet part of the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.. Traditional manual focus lenses are actually pretty robust to moisture intrusion and dry out nicely when it occurs.

Steve
Yes same for me in the other Vancouver. I’ve always been paranoid about being caught in a cloud burst with my old equipment. Cold, heat and sand not so much, but rain yes.

Phil.

07-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neverbnnba Quote
oooo hcc, that's great info man, thanks! The DA tip is just what i needed. I'm not familiar with Nokton lenses I'll check them out now...
The Nokton 58mm is part of the Voigtlander prime lens series. The Voigtlander lenses are well regarded. The 58mm is called Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. It is highly recommended by Pentaxians (incl. myself). I would add that the Nokton 58mm is trully excellent value for money, with outstanding IQ at a moderate price. It is also MF.