Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG

Does anyone here have a Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG that isn't marked as APO?

Pete

08-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's not marked as APO then it likely isn't APO.

There IS a non-APO version. It's much cheaper. No clue if it's good or not, the Tamron 70-300 is in the same price range and "known good". Everyone goes for either the APO version of the Sigma or Tamron's 70-300.
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
There is a non APO version, it's the DC version I believe that was made for the 35mm cameras. It is quite cheaper than the APO DG version but honestly spend the extra money on the APO as it's well worth the investment. I purchased the Sigma 70-300 APO DG back in June for the Canadian Grand Prix and was happy I spent a little bit more for the APO version as the it did prove to have better optical qualities.
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
If it's not marked as APO then it likely isn't APO.

There IS a non-APO version. It's much cheaper. No clue if it's good or not, the Tamron 70-300 is in the same price range and "known good". Everyone goes for either the APO version of the Sigma or Tamron's 70-300.
I have the Tamron in Nikon mount and it is the worst lens I have ever owned. Soft with much PF. Others rave about it so it seems I got a bum copy. Tamron seems to be quite inconsistent in QC so test it out before choosing. I like the Pentax FAJ 75-300 much better, but you probably have to test any of these low priced lenses out extensively as well.

08-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It seems that most peoples' experience with the Tamron is that it is usually rather sharp (consistently sharper than the Sigma APO in most cases), but it does have that Achilles' Heel of purple fringing in certain situations.

It's not noticeable in most of my pictures, only some of them have noticeable PF. I have seen much worse examples though.

The general idea seems to be that both of the budget 70-300s have issues which may or may not be a showstopper for someone.

Tamron - Sharp but prone to PF
Sigma - A bit soft (esp. past 200) but no PF
08-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I believe Entropy to be bang on. I have the Tamron 70-300 on Pentax mount. It does suffer from real bad purple fringing. It is super easy to eliminate it in your photos if you have Photoshop though. I only do this PP on the keepers.

Here is a quick and easy way to do this.

1. Use the eyedropper tool and select the background colour you want to replace the purple fringe with.
2. Select your paintbrush tool; choose a nice brush with a feathered edge.
3. In the paintbrush properties, select "colour". This will keep the luminance levels in your background photograph.
4. Using short strokes, paint the purple out of the photo.

It is that easy...or you could use a CA removal plug-in...but I have had not much luck with those

Here is an example of what you might expect with the Tamron 70-300. Honestly, the lens isn't that bad for the price.

And here is the final product with CA removal as per above method.

As for the Sigma. I have read a few online reviews stating that the APO designation didn’t seem to make much of a difference between the cheaper lens and the more expensive one when looking at quality of output. Just something to keep in mind.
08-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Forum Member

Mine is marked APO, but the easiest way to identify it as being an APO is a red ring aronud the tip of the focusing ring, the non APO is all black.

08-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The APO's all are marked Sigma APO DG in gold on the side. There is no comparison between the non DG APO(had both, kept the APO DG) as it is a considerably lower quality lens.
I am sure you can find plenty of nice shots at PBase Photo where you can search the picture archives by lens type as well as camera making it a good place to check out lens and camera quality.
Kenn
PBase.com
PBase Photo Database - Photo Hosting - Photo Sharing - Web Photo Galleries