Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
M42 to K adapter, lens upside down?

Tried searching for info on this subject without much luck.

I recently purchased a couple of cheap m42 to K adapters from FleaBay from China. They work fine....expect that all 3 of my Taks mount upside down, when screwed in to either of my K mount cameras.

Question is, does anyone else have this problem? Is it avoided if I buy the proper Pentax brand adapters?

I'm considering permanently mounting adapters to a few of my Taks, but would like them to mount straight on if possible. Is there a way to adjust for it? I tried leaving the lens screwed out a bit, but noticed that infinity focus was lost if I did....at least on my 85mm Tak.

Appreciate the help.

07-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you buy the flanged adapter (to press the diaphragm pin)? If so then that could be the problem; the flangeless adapters should work well.
07-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote

I recently purchased a couple of cheap m42 to K adapters from FleaBay from China. They work fine....expect that all 3 of my Taks mount upside down, when screwed in to either of my K mount cameras.

Question is, does anyone else have this problem? Is it avoided if I buy the proper Pentax brand adapters?

I'm considering permanently mounting adapters to a few of my Taks, but would like them to mount straight on if possible. Is there a way to adjust for it? I tried leaving the lens screwed out a bit, but noticed that infinity focus was lost if I did....at least on my 85mm Tak.

Appreciate the help.
All of my Tak's mount correctly - with the Pentax flangeless adapter. Some none Tak's do not mount correctly (orientation only problem). It is an inconvenience only but I suggest that you make sure that you have the Pentax adapter and then the Tak problem should disappear.
07-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of my non-Taks are off a little too with the original adapter, but nothing I can't live with.

I have a cheap Bower adapter from B&H which won't even MOUNT on the camera.

07-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Did you buy the flanged adapter (to press the diaphragm pin)? If so then that could be the problem; the flangeless adapters should work well.
Are you talking about the run of the mill flanged adapter or the "special ordered ones" that has the internal flange to press the pin like the Mamiya and Yashica adapters have?
07-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Are you talking about the run of the mill flanged adapter or the "special ordered ones" that has the internal flange to press the pin like the Mamiya and Yashica adapters have?
The latter.
07-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies all. The Chinese made adapters I bought look like the one below. I assumed they were pretty much exact copies of the Pentax branded ones.

It appears the cheap knockoffs are the issue. From the responses above, it appears if I buy this design in the proper Pentax adapter, my M42 lenses should mount dead straight up. Expensive, but that's life.

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up this Pentax adapters these days?

Also, given how cheap they are, I might give another Ebay vendor a go. If anyone out there has had better luck with the knockoffs, please let me know which vendor you purchased them from.

Cheers!

07-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Don't permanently mount them, because there are also issues with getting infinity focus like this.

Buy one real adapter--available direct from Pentax only--and save yourself aggravation.

Last edited by Ira; 07-07-2010 at 12:27 PM.
07-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hear ya Ira....but it such a PITA to take that adapter ring in and out while on the fly.....and carry around that little key as well.

I'll try it for a bit, but being able to snap that 85mm in and out quickly, along with my K mount lenses would be preferred.
07-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Infinity focus is solely dependent on having the surfaces of the base of the lens and the camera mount mated. The exact rotational position of the adapter threads is not important since there's no hardware to engage the aperture stopdown pin nor a notch for the lens latch.

Try shimming the mating surface of the adapter so the threads come snug with the lens in the orientation you prefer. I have good success using clear acrylic fingernail polish to build up the surface of the adapter. Once you've found a good match, add a drop to the threads to help hold it in place. Let the polish dry before threading it on and the adapter will be easily removable.

I prefer to fit the adapter so the lens aperture index sits at either 10- or 2-o'clock so it's not hidden under the flash bump and easily accessable for manual exposure setting.

A small rubber band used as a temporary o-ring gasket sometimes works well too and provides good friction.

H2
07-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

I hear ya Ira....but it such a PITA to take that adapter ring in and out while on the fly.....and carry around that little key as well.

I'll try it for a bit, but being able to snap that 85mm in and out quickly, along with my K mount lenses would be preferred.
I guess it's a matter of your shooting habits:

Years and years and YEARS ago with 35mm, I changed lenses like a maniac because I had so many to change. Now, that just doesn't happen:

I only own two k lenses, so I'm basically just shooting M42. But even if I had more K, it's not like I would be finding myself changing lenses all that often.

And the Pentax adapter doesn't require that ridiculous contraption to remove. Just a paper clip or the tip of a pen.
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
...And the Pentax adapter doesn't require that ridiculous contraption to remove. Just a paper clip or the tip of a pen.

...or a fingernail...

Steve
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Damn, WiseOx, a good deal on an 85 and now you get hosed on the adapters?

Unfortunately, Canadians can't buy from the Pentax USA store. If you have a friend in the States, it might be worth an email.

Maybe give Pentax Canada a call. A year ago or so they were $25 each at Henry's and Vistek in Toronto. Now they're $70-80?! That's not right, man!
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appreciate the help.
Vintage Visuals in Calgary has one for sale:

T-Mount Adapter to fit Pentax-K ex++ $25.00 Cdn

PENTAX

Email them and get them to send you a picture to make sure it is what you are looking for.
Phil.
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
T-Mount Adapter to fit Pentax-K ex++ $25.00 Cdn
T-mount is not the same as M42, so that's not very useful for his Taks. (T-mount adapters do usually let you rotate the lens, so that part would be solved, but he'd damage the lens and/or adapter trying to mount it, and if he managed to do it he wouldn't get anywhere near infinity focus.)