Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

@Jools, I'm thinking of selling an M42 Auto-Bellows II (bare, without cable release, or rulers) and a K-mount SMC Bellows-Takumar 1:4/100. PM if you are interested in either or both. I have through LBA acquired way too much equipment so I'm considering selling lesser used items to folks who will use and appreciate them.

The SMC Bellows-Takumar 1:4/100 M42 or K-mount is superb. Mounted on my tiny bellows, I can focus from infinity through 42mm distance and 1.62:1 macro; the rig even goes hiking sometimes as it is very portable, just remember to close the bellows to prevent brush poking a hole in bellows fabric!

07-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
while this is true, the standard lenses do not meet the regestration requirements for infinity focus (or even for other than extreme magnification) when mounted on the bellows due to the fact that the lens itself has the entire regestration distance designed in to it.

An enlarger lens or a specific bellows lens considers the addition of the bellows and as a result allows the full range of shots from infinity to beyond 1:1.

It may not matter to the OP but it could.

An enlarger lens is a definite option, though it should be emphasized that a longer focal length is needed if you need infinity focus. How long depends on the bellows unit.

Steve
07-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
@Jools, I'm thinking of selling an M42 Auto-Bellows II (bare, without cable release, or rulers) and a K-mount SMC Bellows-Takumar 1:4/100...
How does one mount a K-mount bellows lens on an M42 bellows?

Steve
07-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
An enlarger lens is a definite option, though it should be emphasized that a longer focal length is needed if you need infinity focus. How long depends on the bellows unit.

Steve
for my bellows, with a pentax camera and regestration distance of 45.46mm, the bellows end to end adds another 50mm, I would be willing to guess that even with the T mount adaptor, I could be very close to 100mm focal length and still reach infinity focus.

with my 135mm enlarger lens I actually need to add an extension tube between the lens and front of the bellows to prevent going past infinity.

something in the range of 100-135mm for an enlarger lens certainly fits the bill nicely of being capable of covering from infinity to past 1:1, and you can always do other things to get more magnification, such as switch to a shorter focal length or add extension tubes in front of the bellows.

I have about 150mm worth of extension tubes I can add to the front of the bellows, which itself can extend almost 200mm out. Put a 50mm macro on the end of that and with close to 400mm extension you get about 6:1 magnification.

for me though, the 1.2:1 I get with the 135mm lens is enough.

the other thing an enlarger lens does on a bellows is make for one hell of a good copy setup, especially if you can use shorter focal lengths.

07-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How does one mount a K-mount bellows lens on an M42 bellows?

Steve
I have an M42-K adapter. It is a short extension tube, but it was purpose built to be what it is.
I believe it was made by Spiratone.
07-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have an M42-K adapter. It is a short extension tube, but it was purpose built to be what it is.
I believe it was made by Spiratone.
I just wonder if rhodopsin is planning on throwing such an adapter in with the package...

Steve
07-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sorry to have caused confusion by offering K-mount SMC Bellows-Tak and M42 bare Auto Bellows II. To use those together requires a K lens to M42 camera adapter; the extra thickness will prevent infinity focus when bellows is closed. I use my bellows with M42 S-M-C Bellows-Tak. I also am considering selling a M42 Bellows-Takumar (not S-M-C) -- it will achieve infinity focus with Auto-Bellows II.
07-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
while this is true, the standard lenses do not meet the regestration requirements for infinity focus (or even for other than extreme magnification) when mounted on the bellows due to the fact that the lens itself has the entire regestration distance designed in to it.

An enlarger lens or a specific bellows lens considers the addition of the bellows and as a result allows the full range of shots from infinity to beyond 1:1.

It may not matter to the OP but it could.
That is a good point, since the enlarger lens has no built in extension you can get to infinity focus with some lenses. I will have to try to find one now as I don't like only being able to focus 3 ft away

Eric

07-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by viking79 Quote
That is a good point, since the enlarger lens has no built in extension you can get to infinity focus with some lenses. I will have to try to find one now as I don't like only being able to focus 3 ft away

Eric
the enlarging lenses are great, but I made in hindsight a real mistake when I went digital in 2000.

I sold all my darkroom stuff, enlargers, lenses etc, had 24, 50 and 75mm enlarging lenses along with that. I could have really used them now. OOPS.
07-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Coupl'a thoughts on lens mounts and bellows:

Many of the bellows units marketed by third party retailers like Vivitar or Spiratone were made universal with interchangeable lens/body mounts. The adapters are usually attached via set screws and easily changed if you can find or fabricate the mount you need. You can even mix and match front and rear bellows brackets among some brands to produce mixed breed solutions.

I once modified a Minolta bellows unit to use Tamron Adaptall lens and body adapters - it was quite versatile and useful with the Topcon, Olympus and Pentax bodies in use there.

Since lens registry distance is somewhat of a moot point with extensions, simply epoxying a scavenged body mount or a rear lens cap to the bellows or extension ring produces a workable expedient solution in the field. Ugly but effective.

And somewhere 'round here I've got a #1 M42 extension ring modified with a 49mm filter ring to accept a reversed lens and another with a salvaged body mount to use K-mount lenses on M42 bodies for close focus work. Then there's the Mamiya M645-to-PK adapter made from body and lens caps and the . . . well, the point is there's a lot of possibilities if infinity focus isn't critical.

H2
07-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Coupl'a thoughts on lens mounts and bellows:

Many of the bellows units marketed by third party retailers like Vivitar or Spiratone were made universal with interchangeable lens/body mounts. The adapters are usually attached via set screws and easily changed if you can find or fabricate the mount you need. You can even mix and match front and rear bellows brackets among some brands to produce mixed breed solutions.

I once modified a Minolta bellows unit to use Tamron Adaptall lens and body adapters - it was quite versatile and useful with the Topcon, Olympus and Pentax bodies in use there.

Since lens registry distance is somewhat of a moot point with extensions, simply epoxying a scavenged body mount or a rear lens cap to the bellows or extension ring produces a workable expedient solution in the field. Ugly but effective.

And somewhere 'round here I've got a #1 M42 extension ring modified with a 49mm filter ring to accept a reversed lens and another with a salvaged body mount to use K-mount lenses on M42 bodies for close focus work. Then there's the Mamiya M645-to-PK adapter made from body and lens caps and the . . . well, the point is there's a lot of possibilities if infinity focus isn't critical.

H2
this is a good point, and is how I modified ny miranda bellows to take pentax.

the bellows came with the classical miranda bayonette/screw thread combo, and in addition, a set of extension tubes with a camera body bayonette to screw mount adaptor.

I modified the body mount, by removing the screw threads and the neck and by epoxying a K mount flanged adaptor to the now flat surface. this gave me a detachable pentax mount for the bellows, and the miranda bayonette can mount in 90 degree increments allowing both vertical and horizontal format.

the front end remains a miranda screw mount, but I have a T mount to miranda adaptor installed, so I can put anything T mount in the front end, including an M42 to T mount adaptor
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@rhodopsin, thanks but I am set with the bellows. I got the same one. Just looking for something M42.

Some real good info posted so far. Have learned a lot from the discussion here alone.
I am leaning more and more to using an enlarger lens and appropriate adapter, since I have seen some nice photos from this set up.
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm no expert here, I just bought a Zenit bellows a few weeks ago and this is how the lens mounts into this particular bellows.

The lens is a Wilon 105 4.5 with a M39 thread, the adaptor is a nylon bush that is a snug fit over the lens thread and fits into the register of the bellows and is closed up by tightening the screw on the bellows, it pushes the nylon bush against the thread without any damage.

It might be a common enough way to mount lenses in bellows, I don't know? But it seems to work OK from my engineering background. So here's a few pictures that explain it.

07-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a pretty good way to go.
I've used teflon tape (what plumber's use) in a pinch a few times with satisfactory results. Just cut it to size with an exacto knife or fold it over and it fits the grooves. Only used with tubes or bellows never directly to a camera body. No harm to the equipment to this point.
07-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I'm no expert here, I just bought a Zenit bellows a few weeks ago and this is how the lens mounts into this particular bellows.

The lens is a Wilon 105 4.5 with a M39 thread, the adaptor is a nylon bush that is a snug fit over the lens thread and fits into the register of the bellows and is closed up by tightening the screw on the bellows, it pushes the nylon bush against the thread without any damage.

It might be a common enough way to mount lenses in bellows, I don't know? But it seems to work OK from my engineering background. So here's a few pictures that explain it.

youhave essentually made an M39 T-Mount adaptor.

As I indicated, my bellows has been set up wit a T mount adaptor at the lens end, so all I need to do is make plastic rings to go into the t-mount and have the right inside diameter to accept the lens thread.

Or simply purchase T mount rings with the correct inner thread. (like the M42 ring I have to use my Taks)