Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a bellows lens in the 100mm to 150mm range?

I'm using an Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows and up to now have been using 50-55mm lenses for macro shots. But now I am looking for a longer lens to give me some distance from my subject matter.
I am interested in an M42 lens in the 100mm to 150mm range, but which one would be the best bang for the buck? Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

07-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

you might try an enlarger lens since they are designed for flat field applications and most have perfectly round multi blade apertures to eliminate issues with the aperture of the lens impacting the print

many lenses are available between typically 50mm and 135mm.

I have a very nice 135mm enlarging lens, to compliment my smc tak 50mm macro for use on the bellows.
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What about the lens designed just for that specific purpose? Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax 100mm F4 Bellows Lens Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the Takumar 100mm bellows lens. It is superb. If you can find one, it would be an excellent choice.

07-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Yes ditto I have the K-mount 100mm f4 bellows and it works well on a bellows.

Phil.
07-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you might try an enlarger lens since they are designed for flat field applications and most have perfectly round multi blade apertures to eliminate issues with the aperture of the lens impacting the print

many lenses are available between typically 50mm and 135mm.

I have a very nice 135mm enlarging lens, to compliment my smc tak 50mm macro for use on the bellows.
I've read about using an enlarging lens for macro. It wasn't in my plans but I'm rethinking. The flat field is something to consider. Any pictures from your efforts? Any specific recommendations? EvilBay is looking pricey.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What about the lens designed just for that specific purpose? Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax 100mm F4 Bellows Lens Reviews
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have the Takumar 100mm bellows lens. It is superb. If you can find one, it would be an excellent choice.
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes ditto I have the K-mount 100mm f4 bellows and it works well on a bellows.

Phil.
Wow, the bellows lens coming in strong. I looked at it in the PF lens review and elsewhere. Anybody got some examples of this lens at work?

Yeah, if I could get it for a good price.
I was thinking in a completely different direction. A Pentacon, Tair, or a reg Takumar, Komine or even a Tamron macro 90mm.
Hey, thanks to all for the input... a few things to consider. Always good to check with PF for info!
07-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Overall, you will probably find a macro lens to be more useful, but if you want larger than 1:1 mag, you really can't beat a bellows.
Sorry, I don't have anything off my bellows lens easily at hand at the moment. That stuff is all buried on various and inscrutably labeled CDs at the moment.

Found one.
This was shot on the istD.
That's about all I remember.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-05-2011 at 08:44 PM.
07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Brilliant picture. It speaks to me. That's what I am looking for!
Hmm.. that you used a *ist D makes it the most.
That might be the way to go.
Thanks bundles, Wheatfield.

07-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
Brilliant picture. It speaks to me. That's what I am looking for!
Hmm.. that you used a *ist D makes it the most.
That might be the way to go.
Thanks bundles, Wheatfield.
This store has the full M42 bellows unit and 100mm f4.0 lens in near mint condition.

https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/pentax-m42-bellows-outfit-p-1647.html

Phil.
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
A good value lens is the Pentax 135mm f/3.5 lens. Any of the variants from the M42 to K mount are good. Remember you will get less magnification from your bellows using a longer lens, but a further working distance (which is what you wanted).

I have Pentax Auto Bellows A with a Tamron 200mm f/3.5 lens that I like a lot.

Eric
07-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by viking79 Quote
A good value lens is the Pentax 135mm f/3.5 lens. Any of the variants from the M42 to K mount are good. Remember you will get less magnification from your bellows using a longer lens, but a further working distance (which is what you wanted).

I have Pentax Auto Bellows A with a Tamron 200mm f/3.5 lens that I like a lot.

Eric
while this is true, the standard lenses do not meet the regestration requirements for infinity focus (or even for other than extreme magnification) when mounted on the bellows due to the fact that the lens itself has the entire regestration distance designed in to it.

An enlarger lens or a specific bellows lens considers the addition of the bellows and as a result allows the full range of shots from infinity to beyond 1:1.

It may not matter to the OP but it could.
07-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Lowell, do you know of a source for an adapter to take an enlarger lens to either M42 or K mount?
07-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Lowell, do you know of a source for an adapter to take an enlarger lens to either M42 or K mount?
My bellows is a miranda bellows. I have a t-mount adaptor and made a custom t- mount insert to accept the enlarger lens. This is the easiest way I think I.e. Use t-mount to m42 because all enlarger lenses seem to be different threads

I have also an m42 to t mount ring so that I can use all my m42 lenses

If you have a k mount bellows you could use a cheap m42 flanged adaptor And cement the enlarger lens to the flanged adaptor
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Weren't M39 to M42 adaptors available out of Russia for a while? I can't recall the source.

I have one, but it came attached to a used enlarger lens that I bought with my bellows.
07-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

there are lots of M39 adaptors available from russia, but enlarger lenses are all sorts of funny thread diameters.

as I say, I made one using a T mount adaptor and a custom ring that fit my enlarger lens then turned down to fit the T mount.

I think some form of homemade conversion plate to T mount is the best solution personally