Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Older Sigma 70-200 2.8 bent coupler

Hi guys! It has been a long time since in have posted here but always know when I have Pentax questions you all have answers. So my favorite lens the Sigma 70-200 2.8 I am pretty sure I bought off someone here when the site went love years ago has problem.

Long story short I went to take pictures at a fire here in town (1st structure fire in a looong time) and in my haste as I got up from the ground with my camera and bag I lost my grip on the camera and it tumbled. With the heavy lens i tried to break the fall of it with my foot and thought all was well. That is until I held it up and it refused to focus. I looks and sure enough the base that mounts to the body look pulled away a small amount. I tried another lens and it worked fine but in same location looked pulled away just a bit but not nearly as much when the Sigma was on it. ( I will post a picture later)

So I tried the Sigma again later and got it to work a little by tweaking it as I think the contacts seemed off enough to make it not function :-(

So the question now is what to do? Is there a place that will repair the lens? It is a great lens and has seen better days, the paint is coming off so bad I almost think it is time to retire it anyway. But even if I fixed what would the cost be?

I am still using the K10 and been holding out for another model to come along. I know the CFO is not going to agree with new body and new lens (body and lens about same $$ I am pretty sure)

What to do what to do.

Love to hear what you all think and like I said pictures to follow.

Thanks

Pat

07-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh and coupler is probably not the correct term but worked for now ;-)
07-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
07-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pictures added

Sad paint

07-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm been a while since posting so what am I missing in adding pictures via flickr?
07-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
07-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you sure it's the lens?

I can't view your photos but from the description you give it could be th elens mount on the camera body

edit note

OK now I see the shots definitely the lens mount

What you should try is to get an old sigma AF lens, and swap mounts.

From memory you are close to boston?

Any chance to get to toronto, or contact henry's camera and see if you can purchase an AF zoom from the clearence center for $30 and swap mounts.

other option is to send the lens to sigma.

07-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually was thinking about that but wasn't sure it would work. Meaning the swap out the lens mount. It only looks like a few screws but wasn't sure what was underneath and how complicated it would be. I am am actually in Western Mass and will check a couple of local shops that always have a few used lenses. Thanks

Have you or anyone else done this type of swap of the lens mount before?