Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I think the smarter way to look at this is the other around: to build a list of lenses that are *not* FF compatialbe. That list will be much, much, much shorter, and probably contains no lenses other than the Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron lenses already mentioned. I don't know if anyone else makes APS-C lenses for Pentax. I guess a couple of the newer Samyang manual focus lenses, and maybe a Tokina somewhere? Anyhow, as I said, it's guaranteed to be a shorter list - probably about 1000 times shorter.

07-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #32
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
FWIW, I think the smarter way to look at this is the other around: to build a list of lenses that are *not* FF compatialbe. That list will be much, much, much shorter, and probably contains no lenses other than the Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron lenses already mentioned. I don't know if anyone else makes APS-C lenses for Pentax. I guess a couple of the newer Samyang manual focus lenses, and maybe a Tokina somewhere? Anyhow, as I said, it's guaranteed to be a shorter list - probably about 1000 times shorter.
You're right Marc. That's what I'm starting to think.

But before I completely turn this on it's head, which one in the long run will have more APS-C lenses? It seems like non-FF is is what many of the more recent lenses are (but maybe mostly the entry-level lenses).

I seem to able to group things together, with Sigma, Tamron and Pentax. Older pre-digital lenses all seem FF compatible.

What do you think? If you all believe it's easier to switch the list to non-FF, I will. I'm doing this to avoid confusion if Pentax comes out with a Full Frame camera somewhere in the future...so whatever will be more useful for answers at a quick glance is what I'll work on.

Thanks for your input!

Flickeroo
07-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
But before I completely turn this on it's head, which one in the long run will have more APS-C lenses?
Which one what? You mean, between Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron? Probably Pentax has the most currently, but that would be easy to verify by checking out an B&H ad from any photography magazine and counting for yourself. That's counting all DA lenses as APS-C only, even though some are known to work fine on FF. Ten years from now, I have no idea.

QuoteQuote:
It seems like non-FF is is what many of the more recent lenses are (but maybe mostly the entry-level lenses).
No, pretty much anything Pentax introduces these days is APS-C only - high end or low end, because they haven't made an FF camera for many years now.

QuoteQuote:
Older pre-digital lenses all seem FF compatible.
Well, sure - before digital, APS-C was a minor footnote in history.