Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Building a Full Frame-compatible Third-party Lens Database

I do not have a full-frame camera nor do I expect to have one in the near future, but since there are so many FF discussions out there I couldn't help starting to be curious about my own lenses.
I find many discussions are about people not being sure if their lens (or the lens they are coveting) is FF capable or not. But these are always about specific lenses, there's no centralized ressource for it.

Other than a few exceptions, DA and DA L lenses are not Full Frame. For DA and DA L lens full-frame tests, please refer to Falconeye's incredibly detailed FF tests here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

But what about Third-Party lenses?

I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to be an authority on it, so I need your help to make that list.

Adam has graciously accepted to update the data in the third-party lens database once we have confirmation.

This way, if Pentax ever releases a FF camera there will be a ready-made lens compatibility database. I'll be updating the list on a regular basis, and don't hesitate to let me know if changes/modifications need to be made.

Thanks for your help!

The listing so far:

Pentax Lenses: All non-DA/DA L Pentax lenses are Full-Frame
(confirmed by Adam)
For DA and DA L lens full-frame tests, I have to refer once again to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

Sigma Lenses: All lenses with the marking DG are Full Frame, however DC is not Full Frame
Anything missing the DC or DG designations are pre-digital thus by default full-frame.
(confirmed by Lowell Goudge)

Tamron Lenses: All lenses with the marking Di are Full-Frame, however Dii is not Full Frame
Anything missing the Di or Dii designations are pre-digital thus by default full-frame.
(confirmed by Lowell Goudge)

Voigtländer Lenses: All Voigtländer lenses are Full-Frame
(Confirmed by rparmar)

Zeiss Lenses: All Zeiss lenses are Full-Frame

(Confirmed by rparmar)
I am awaiting confirmations for other lens brands, such as Bower, Phoenix, Lensbaby, and Vivitar. And what about those russian lenses such as Zenitar?

Last edited by Flickeroo; 07-10-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Updated Zeiss and Voigtländer info
07-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as I know, anything with an aperture ring (from any manufacturer) covers full frame. (Obviously I'm talking about lenses made for Pentax.)

No wait, the Samyang 8mm fisheye has an aperture ring. But I still think it's true for the big manufacturers.

Last edited by drougge; 07-08-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I'm wrong
07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
As far as I know, anything with an aperture ring (from any manufacturer) covers full frame. (Obviously I'm talking about lenses made for Pentax.)

No wait, the Samyang 8mm fisheye has an aperture ring. But I still think it's true for the big manufacturers.
Yeah you can't use aperture ring as anything definitive - the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG IF lacks an aperture ring, but it's a full frame lens. (Sigma does nicely indicate which of their recent lenses are APS-C by using the 'DC' designation though.)
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for sigma anything with DC is ASP-C and DG is full frame
for tamron anything with Dii is ASP-C and Di is Full frame

lenses missing these designations are pre digital and by default are full frame

07-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Yeah you can't use aperture ring as anything definitive - the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG IF lacks an aperture ring, but it's a full frame lens.
It was not my intention to give the impression that I thought lenses without aperture rings were never full frame (e.g. the DFA 100mm macro WR), just that I thought that those with were full frame. (And I still think that's true for everything except the Samyang 8mm fisheye, and even that could be considered full frame if you shave the hood.)
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that this information is what the OP wanted to know. We can add it to the categories in the third-party database if we get a complete list, just like we have in our Pentax lens database.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
Updated the first post with Pentax, Tamron and Sigma confirmations.

07-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please re-read my post

Di is full frame Dii is not

you have it backwards
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was not my intention to give the impression that I thought lenses without aperture rings were never full frame (e.g. the DFA 100mm macro WR), just that I thought that those with were full frame. (And I still think that's true for everything except the Samyang 8mm fisheye, and even that could be considered full frame if you shave the hood.)
the pentax FA-J lenses have no aperture ring but are full frame.

the aperture ring is not a tell tale sign, clearly a full frame lens might have an aperture ring because someone may want to use it on any film camera, all the way back to a K1000, but it is not absolute, however, an ASP-C does not need one because they were never intended to be used on a body that did not support the A position.
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Please re-read my post

Di is full frame Dii is not

you have it backwards

Fixed now. I apologize...this heat wave cooking is my brain.
07-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
1,000,000th Poster!

Original Poster
Added a link to Falconeye's very detailed DA and DA L FF test thread in the OP.
07-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

the pentax FA-J lenses have no aperture ring but are full frame.

the aperture ring is not a tell tale sign, clearly a full frame lens might have an aperture ring because someone may want to use it on any film camera, all the way back to a K1000, but it is not absolute, however, an ASP-C does not need one because they were never intended to be used on a body that did not support the A position.
Is my English really that unclear? I have never said that lacking an aperture ring means anything at all for coverage. (And yet several people seem to think I have.)

What I have said, or at least have tried to say is:
  • An aperture ring means it's very likely full frame. (Only known exception is the Samyang 8mm fisheye.)
  • No aperture ring means nothing, check other indicators.
07-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is my English really that unclear? I have never said that lacking an aperture ring means anything at all for coverage. (And yet several people seem to think I have.)

What I have said, or at least have tried to say is:
  • An aperture ring means it's very likely full frame. (Only known exception is the Samyang 8mm fisheye.)
  • No aperture ring means nothing, check other indicators.
not a question of that was said, butwhat was not.

YOu should have said that the converse is not true, as you state in this mail.

on another point, you still have an issue in your listing

you state"Tamron Lenses: All lenses without the marking Di are Full-Frame, however Dii is not Full Frame"

this should be Tamron Lenses: All lenses with the marking Di are Full-Frame, however Dii is not Full Frame
07-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a couple of additional points.

Bower and vivitar, in terms of receint lenses are actually samyang.

the pentax DA / full frame compatibility matrix is one achieved by trial and error testing lenses, and is not auranteed by pentax.

you can identify the full frame / ASP-C listing by looking in any camera magzine and the lens listings in the adds
07-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a couple of additional points.

Bower and vivitar, in terms of receint lenses are actually samyang.

the pentax DA / full frame compatibility matrix is one achieved by trial and error testing lenses, and is not auranteed by pentax.

you can identify the full frame / ASP-C listing by looking in any camera magzine and the lens listings in the adds
Sometimes you do have to look closely, though.