Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Newb AF lens question about lens for K10D

Hey folks, im still new to the digital world, up untill now i was using pretty old equipment, mostly fully manual film slr.... in fact ive never owned a camera with an AF lens to this point! anyways... i want to get a new 3rd party lens for my K10D, from what i understand in the manual, an AF lens with an apature postion of "A" will work with all the program modes on the camera... so this means it will more or less work like my DA kit lens? Autofocus and apature settings will work like they do on the kit lens? More or less what im asking is will it autofocus and will it set the apature by itself according to the program, also in hyper program mode when i change the apature will it change it in the lens without me having to do it... lol, i know this is prob a dumb question but i wanted to ask those who knew, rather than just asuming... thanks for any input!

Last edited by pentaxbling; 08-15-2007 at 12:16 AM.
08-15-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
<Bump> Anyone? lol, im sure a few of you might know something about a camera lens.... Just a huntch lol... Also, is there anything to look for as far as brands, any of them have quirks or issues working correctly?
08-15-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You should give people a bit more time to reply before bumping, especially when your first post is 2 AM - the US users are asleep or (if West Coast) about to go to sleep, the Europeans are already at work.

Yes, any lens that has an "A" setting on its ring should be fully functional with your K10D. (For example, my Tamron 70-300 is fully functional on my K10D.)

Actually in some ways third-party lenses are more functional than recent first-party lenses on the K10D. The fact that most third party lenses still have manual aperture means you can use cheap $15 extension tubes for macrophotography rather than $150 sets that support automatic aperture.
08-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
<snip>You should give people a bit more time to reply before bumping, especially when your first post is 2 AM - the US users are asleep or (if West Coast) about to go to sleep, the Europeans are already at work.<snip>
lol, sorry to wake you... yeah i was at work when i posted this, im 3rd shift... glad you decided to respond. I appreciate your help