Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2010, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Pro Photographer G. Lewis (Shutterfinger) Chooses... the kit lens?

Shutterfinger: I Found My Travel Lens

Check out Gordon Lewis' latest blog post. He's going on vacation and needs a light, compact travel kit. And he's settled on the DA 18-55 AL II.

I've got nothing against the lens, nothing against his choice. It is good enough for him and suits his needs. And it is hard to fault the lens at 35mm ƒ/5.6+. Seems like a reasonable choice.

Just something to think about.

07-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The new kit lenses are very good

I used that kit lens to shoot in Churchill MB (Polar Bear Capital) and it performed just fine. I also used the 50 - 200 kit lens. I think they are doing a great job with their kits lenses now. A quick chat with Pentax on-line indicated that the glass and mechanics are the same. Main difference is a plastic K-mount and the lack of the focal scale on the lens.
08-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwiles Quote
I used that kit lens to shoot in Churchill MB (Polar Bear Capital) and it performed just fine. I also used the 50 - 200 kit lens. I think they are doing a great job with their kits lenses now. A quick chat with Pentax on-line indicated that the glass and mechanics are the same. Main difference is a plastic K-mount and the lack of the focal scale on the lens.

"...glass and mechanics are the same" - same as what lens? DA* ? I doubt it...
08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
The DA L 18-55 has the same glass & mechanics as the DA 18-55 II. The differences being the plastic bayonet, no quick shift & no hood in the box.

08-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
]

Check out Gordon Lewis' latest blog post. He's going on vacation and needs a light, compact travel kit. And he's settled on the DA 18-55 AL II.

Just something to think about.
Thought about it. Yawn. If it was the WR version it would make only slightly more sense. But he doesn't shoot much macro or tele (he says), and he's bringing a 55 1.4 as well.

Should take the better and wider 16-45 instead of an 18-55 if he's also got a 55...

Blah.
08-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no issues with the IQ of the 18-55. I really don't understand the slams this lens gets. I guess because it's inexpensive and sold as a "kit", there are people who just assume they are junk. He explains his reasons well.
08-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have no issues with the IQ of the 18-55. I really don't understand the slams this lens gets. I guess because it's inexpensive and sold as a "kit", there are people who just assume they are junk. He explains his reasons well.
While I'm not going to argue with anyone who actually gets paid to take photographs... I do think that the kit lens renders poorly at the edges at most of the focal lengths. No matter the aperture, the edges of your picture will not be sharp. That, and soft focus at 55mm are the only two real criticisms I have of it. It is a very good lens, all in all... but the reason it's good is because it is cheap, not because it is amazing.

08-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
While I'm not going to argue with anyone who actually gets paid to take photographs...
It should be obvious is that different photographers (pro/am/whatever) have different needs and expectations and styles and obsessions. Back when it was my job, I was concerned with using the gear on-hand to deliver results to demanding clients. A perfectionist dilettante who is their own only audience can afford to have different standards. Edges? If edges don't measure up, crop. Contrast, tone? If they aren't right, PP. Shoot the best and fix the rest.

Note: the DA18-55 was about the 40th lens I chose for my K20D. It has its place.
08-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you read the article he is also taking the DA*55. So it's rather misleading in that he is not choosing just one lens after all.

Personally I would take the DA35 instead of the zoom if I wanted just one single lens. Way more versatile for what I shoot (low light, macro, landscape, DOF control) and better IQ by a noticeable margin.

And if I had two lenses I'd grab the DA12-24 and FA77 over the kit and DA*55 any day of the year. That would cover a much wider focal length range.
08-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
That's the word I got straight from Pentax.
08-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If you read the article he is also taking the DA*55. So it's rather misleading in that he is not choosing just one lens after all.

Personally I would take the DA35 instead of the zoom if I wanted just one single lens. Way more versatile for what I shoot (low light, macro, landscape, DOF control) and better IQ by a noticeable margin.

And if I had two lenses I'd grab the DA12-24 and FA77 over the kit and DA*55 any day of the year. That would cover a much wider focal length range.
I agree - the DA35 is a great lense if that's all you're going to take. As far as clarity, prime is the way to go.