Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How to experiment with DA 15mm/4 Limited?

This last year I have rarely used my K20D because of several reasons. The biggest reason is that my MacBook got stolen and it's ****ing awful to sort ~20MB RAW-photos on a netbook. Second reason is that my DA* 16-50/2.8 broke and is now a 35-50. The only lens I have left is FA* 80-200/2.8 which I have use a little, but it's too heavy for me to walk around with. I actually found out that the 16-50 is a little too big for me too to walk around with(I bought it early on and back then it was just cool to have a big lens, now I have the 80-200 for when I need to look cool). So I started investing in Limiteds. My first one out is DA 15/4 which is waiting for me at home as we speak.

My question then is. How can I experiment with this? What is this lens' strength? I'm not that used to go out photographing with that wide lenses. Whenever I did experimenting with bokeh, macro etc. I tend to use 80-200 or the long end of my 16-50. I know I could do landspace, but the thing is. I have no tripod yet.

Any tips?

07-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't need a tripod to shoot landscapes. Make use of the digital level and keep the horizon straight and snap away.
07-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
My question then is. How can I experiment with this? What is this lens' strength?
There are many good examples in the mind control thread. One common theme is to shoot the world with the sun in the photo. On most lenses, shooting the sun guarantees low contrast and much flare. But the 15mm turns the sun into a little disco ball and renders the rest of the picture normally.

I think part of it is down to SMC, and another part is the optical formula somehow preventing internal reflections. Someone smarter than me might know the real reason. But the results look good.
07-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens is really good for close-ups (see the 'controls my mind' thread) and also has exceptional color rendition. Check out the entry for this lens in our lens database for more reviews and opinions about this lens: Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

07-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Try mounting the DA15 reversed. Great magnification ratio, great fun.
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Try mounting the DA15 reversed. Great magnification ratio, great fun.
Interesting. Got any examples of the results? I'd just try it but I don't have the reversing ring.

As far as experimenting with the DA15 - just start shooting with it! I particularly like how you can shoot into the sun and get the starbursts when stopped down to f/10 or so, but that is just one cool aspect. I also like shooting tall things in portrait orientation from up close. Just try it!

07-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Based on jsherman's "mind control" thread and the many amazing images there and the equally amazing number of people buying the lens as a result, I'd say the main strength of DA15 is in selling more DA15's :-)