Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #31

The issue is extremely annoying. Here's what has happened to me.

My almost one year old DA* 16-50 AF fails, no doubt SMD failure I think so I send it in for service. I'm told it isn't a warranty failure and due to it being it being damaged by shock or pressure, which I doubt but end up paying around $600 for the repair.

I get the lens back about two weeks later and immediately try it on my K-7 that has up to that point works fine with all my other lenses, among them two Sigma HSM lenses, but the AF still doesn't work. Then my camera starts acting funny, it starts reacting slowly and when I turn it off the LCD is still displaying the information for some seconds which it has never done before. I turn the camera back on but now it's dead. I take off the lens and can then detect a distinct smell of burnt electronics from the body. Mind you this camera worked fine with a Sigma 50/1.4 HSM just minutes before but now it doesn't work at all.

I have now sent in both the K-7 and the DA* 16-50 to the repair shop some weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. I also sent a relatively angry mail to the Pentax distributor in Sweden telling them among other things that I expect someone other than me to cover any additional cost of repairs and that I'm quite willing to take legal action if that isn't the case. I have yet to get any response to this email either. I'm quite upset with how this has been handled by Pentax, both in my case and in general.

03-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I watched these threads with some anxiety so here is my situation. I have owned my 16-50 for about a year and a half and have almost 6 months left on warranty. I used it almost almost exclusively with no issues for the first 10 months or so and then I discovered limited primes and started leaving the 16-50 behind more often. However I don't have a zoom covering this range and there are occasions and conditions under which a zoom and the weather sealing are especially desirable.

I took the 16-50 out a couple of times over the past few weeks and each time I found the AF troublesome, often failing to lock completely especially when focusing at a distance. Focusing on the ground or a closer object seemed to get it working again and after a time the lens seems to "warm up" so to speak. Did anyone else notice this in advance of complete SDM failure? I have thought that I will make a point of testing it weekly but I do think it would be wise to have it looked at before the warranty expires. I don't want to send it off and have them say that nothing is wrong. What do others suggest?

By the way, if Pentax is still less than open in acknowledging issues with this particular lens why is there a stack of *Reconditioned* 16-50's in the local camera store?

-Joe
03-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
The problematic AF is caused by the SDM dying away slowly. My 16-50 had/s the same problem. It start by a fail on locking focus, which is being solved by what you call a "warm up" and eventually the morning warm up exercise will get longer and longer, until the SDM will give up completely. Mine had the same problem. If you can still use your warranty, I suggest you do so.
03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Euronitzan Quote
The problematic AF is caused by the SDM dying away slowly. My 16-50 had/s the same problem. It start by a fail on locking focus, which is being solved by what you call a "warm up" and eventually the morning warm up exercise will get longer and longer, until the SDM will give up completely. Mine had the same problem. If you can still use your warranty, I suggest you do so.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Fortunately it is still on warranty.

-Joe

05-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by cii98da3 Quote
The issue is extremely annoying. Here's what has happened to me.

My almost one year old DA* 16-50 AF fails, no doubt SMD failure I think so I send it in for service. I'm told it isn't a warranty failure and due to it being it being damaged by shock or pressure, which I doubt but end up paying around $600 for the repair.

I get the lens back about two weeks later and immediately try it on my K-7 that has up to that point works fine with all my other lenses, among them two Sigma HSM lenses, but the AF still doesn't work. Then my camera starts acting funny, it starts reacting slowly and when I turn it off the LCD is still displaying the information for some seconds which it has never done before. I turn the camera back on but now it's dead. I take off the lens and can then detect a distinct smell of burnt electronics from the body. Mind you this camera worked fine with a Sigma 50/1.4 HSM just minutes before but now it doesn't work at all.

I have now sent in both the K-7 and the DA* 16-50 to the repair shop some weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. I also sent a relatively angry mail to the Pentax distributor in Sweden telling them among other things that I expect someone other than me to cover any additional cost of repairs and that I'm quite willing to take legal action if that isn't the case. I have yet to get any response to this email either. I'm quite upset with how this has been handled by Pentax, both in my case and in general.
Just a quick update on what had happend. I finally got both the lens and the body back in working order. The electronics in the lens had short circuited and had been replaced in Germany. That is why it took so long to get it back.

There was never any problem with my K-7 however and this really amazes me. What had happend when the lens short circuited was that the batteries in both my battery grip and body drained within less then 3-4 minutes that I was trying to get the lens to work. That that kind of current didn't fry the body is really amazing.

Anyway I eventually got everything back and it didn't cost me anything additional.
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There was a thread repairing SDM failed lens. You might want to look at it. In any case, it's unfortunate that SDM failure is a never ending problem with Pentax completely ignoring it.
05-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #37

Pentax completely denies there is a problem. Boycott SDM.

05-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am on my 4th 16-50 SDM now.

Actually only on my 3rd, as my 1st lens was a total replacement for someone else's lens when its SDM failed.

My current lens was brand new and a replacement to the previous one, it is less than a month-old but has already started squeaking and doesn't always AF the first few times unless I manually focus it several times! Even then it focuses in small bursts, kicking and screaming, for a while.

I'd be surprised if this lens didn't end up taking a trip back to Chandler, AZ soon.
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
There was a thread repairing SDM failed lens. You might want to look at it. In any case, it's unfortunate that SDM failure is a never ending problem with Pentax completely ignoring it.
I did the repair per the thread, and it worked....for about two weeks, then failed again....I bought a Sigma 17-50 2.8...problem solved...but agree, Pentax needs to fix this issue, or do a MkII version of this lens, enable screw drive or whatever to alleviate the issue...but they won't because that would acknowledge there is a problem.
11-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #40

Same issues with my 16-50mm and SDM failure.

It completely failed about a year ago - off for warranty repair. Came back working and clean in a reasonable time frame (under 2 weeks).

If I don't use the thing for more than 4-5 days - when I fire it up.....it does this 'sticky', 'creeping' focus.....like something is gummed up. This is the same tell-tale failure precursor I experienced the first time. So now, I make sure the lens is run through it's focus ranges (infinity to close up) at least twice a week. Even then, sometimes it is 'sticky' for the first minute of focusing - but eventually 'frees up' and operates normally. Frustrating.....
12-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I'd be surprised if this lens didn't end up taking a trip back to Chandler, AZ soon.
So it wasn't really that soon. I dropped off the lens at the post office this afternoon for its journey to Chadndler, AZ for yet another repair