Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Manual lens CLA in Canada?

Hello fellow Pentaxians, I have several vintage lenses that I'd like to get cleaned and put away into my collection but I can't seem to find a reputable lens repair facility in Canada for that. I did find one individual in Ontario, but I'm skeptical as to the level of professionalism and qualifications this person has(not much information given) with respect to ruining my K collection.

Oddly enough, the LINK directory doesn't seem to work on the site anymore

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

JohnB

07-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had my Pentax K 24/2.8 and M 50/1.4 lens cleaned by Precision Camera of Winnipeg. They also so cleaned and lubricated my MX and K2 film bodies. They are a factory authorized dealer.

Precision Camera Repair Ltd.

The link will take you to thier site. They have been in the business for 25 years I know of and I have no complaints with their work.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-09-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
07-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
camera repair shops are becoming rare in toronto.

sadly last year one on Yonge street just south of henry's closed because the owner passed away, and one in the west end closed because the owner retired.

Not sure where you can go for lens repair and cleaning these days in toronto either.
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I've fired an email out to Precision Repairs to see what they can do.

07-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There's a shop in Quebec city supposed to be good, the local stores use them for their repairs. They're called Camera Photo Pro. acceuil. Vistek also appareently do some repairs.
07-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Theres one in Saskatoon SK. Very good, Pentax dealer as well, Cheng's Camera Repair, 306-653-3980. Used this fellow for years,vg and very well done
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There's a shop in Quebec city supposed to be good, the local stores use them for their repairs. They're called Camera Photo Pro. acceuil. Vistek also appareently do some repairs.
QuoteOriginally posted by in2toy Quote
Theres one in Saskatoon SK. Very good, Pentax dealer as well, Cheng's Camera Repair, 306-653-3980. Used this fellow for years,vg and very well done
Inquiries sent also(phoned Cheng's because they didn't advertise email).
Thanks for those also.

JB

07-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #8

Although it has been many years, I used Vancam Services (based in Vancouver BC) for a film camera CLA.

VANCAM Service Ltd. | Canon & Pentax Authorized Warranty Repair Facility | Home
07-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's Ralph Innes in Port Alberni, B.C. I haven't used him but I emailed him asking about removing some dust from my Voigtländer and he recommended just leaving the lens alone, for which I admired his honesty.

Lens Tech Home Page

email: f35mru20458@shaw.ca
07-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
Although it has been many years, I used Vancam Services (based in Vancouver BC) for a film camera CLA.

+1 to them. They were my go-to place for camera repairs when I lived in Vancouver.
07-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Let me know how it oes with the Quebec store. I might have to use their services soon
07-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
There's Ralph Innes in Port Alberni, B.C. I haven't used him but I emailed him asking about removing some dust from my Voigtländer and he recommended just leaving the lens alone, for which I admired his honesty.

Lens Tech Home Page

email: f35mru20458@shaw.ca
I have used his services for two lenses. His work is impeccable. Extremely reasonable in price (better than any shops I've seen) and he's one of the most honest repairmen around. He genuinely wants to help.

He removed fungus in one lens, remeshed the helicoid and reconstructed another lens that had taken a nasty fall that deformed the helicoid. You can't go wrong with him.
07-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote

I live a couple blocks from "VANCAM" and used them a couple time for simple repairs, like removing a filter ring dent on a lens and a CLA of a KX with no other issues. I was happy with the work they did on those two items.

However I gave them a K2 with a stuck ASA ring to fix and do a CLA on. They broke the ASA ring button and replaced it with a part from another camera and the ring would not lock in place. I also gave them another KX to fix a film pickup issue and had to bring it back again after they didn’t fix it the first time. They also screwed up the meter on the KX, so it was out by 1 stop. I ended up sending the K2 and KX to Eric and he finally got both film cameras back to normal. The VANCAM techs failed miserably on those two occasions.

Also stay way from “Camtex” in Vancouver, they are even worse. I left them a KX & K55/1.8 for a CLA and to fix a film scratching issue. They ended up loosing the K55 lens and never did fix the scratching issue, Eric fixed that as well. They are completely useless.

Moral of the story use Eric even though he is located in the states.

Phil.
07-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I live a couple blocks from "VANCAM" and used them a couple time for simple repairs, like removing a filter ring dent on a lens and a CLA of a KX with no other issues. I was happy with the work they did on those two items.

However I gave them a K2 with a stuck ASA ring to fix and do a CLA on. They broke the ASA ring button and replaced it with a part from another camera and the ring would not lock in place. I also gave them another KX to fix a film pickup issue and had to bring it back again after they didn’t fix it the first time. They also screwed up the meter on the KX, so it was out by 1 stop. I ended up sending the K2 and KX to Eric and he finally got both film cameras back to normal. The VANCAM techs failed miserably on those two occasions.

Also stay way from “Camtex” in Vancouver, they are even worse. I left them a KX & K55/1.8 for a CLA and to fix a film scratching issue. They ended up loosing the K55 lens and never did fix the scratching issue, Eric fixed that as well. They are completely useless.

Moral of the story use Eric even though he is located in the states.

Phil.
Moral of the story:
Well, there isn't one really.
Eric may be good, but as previous posters have noted, there are a number of good repair shops in Canada.
Support your own, sending stuff to a foreign country for repair when it can be done at home makes no sense at all.
Precision Camera has always done really well for me.
07-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Moral of the story:
Well, there isn't one really.
Eric may be good, but as previous posters have noted, there are a number of good repair shops in Canada.
Support your own, sending stuff to a foreign country for repair when it can be done at home makes no sense at all.
Precision Camera has always done really well for me.
Like I said I did try two local shops for that very reason, to support Vancouver businesses. But when they screw-up & charge way more, then you loose faith very quickly. I did not know about “Precision Camera”, so may give then a try sometime. I have a K1000 that needs a cleaning, so that might be a good test.

In the end I want my Pentax film bodies fixed properly, so I’ll pick whoever can do the job, regardless of where they are located.

Phil.