Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Old lenses for k-x

Hello,

Great forum with a wealth of knowledge. I am about to pull the trigger on a white d-x and would like to know which lens to get?

I have been searching quite a bit and see old lenses will work with the camera.

I would like something to take nice portrait shots, indoors and outdoors. From what I have read a 50mm with a low f would be good? Or will the 18-55mm included lens be good enough for now? I have see many great photos taken with the lens included with the camera. I would rather get proficient with what I have, before "upgrading".

I am upgrading from p&s cameras, and will use this as a hobby camera and family events. I would like to be able to take crisp photos.

I was looking at Nikon and Canon, as I had no clue about the Pentax d-x and am in love with the camera! So many features, great shots and all for a bargain! I have always had Canon cameras, and almost purchased the Nikon D5000, but will get the d-x now!

07-09-2010, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 18-55 can be used (at the long end for the best portrait perspective). Many people will recommend the "fast 50" as an alternative. Old screw-mount lenses with an M42 adaptor work just fine.
07-09-2010, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to take some quality portraits, I'd recommend a fast 85mm lens or the FA limited 77, as these lenses produce beautiful bokeh:
You can also check reviews and details of other Pentax/third-party lenses in our Pentax lens database.

A faster 50mm would also get the job done, but don't expect as good bokeh as with the lenses above. I've also found that a longer focal length is better-suited for the job.

Thread moved to the lens section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Specialk for the quick response, I have been looking here
http://support.pentaximaging.com/documents/908

and
Pentax Lens Review Database - Lens Listings

Anything specific to look for?

Edit

Ok I see Adam posted, thank you for your help. Sorry for posting in the wrong section.

I will read the links you provided and research some more!

Edit part 2
Bokeh is exactly what I am looking for in my shots!

07-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd recommend the M50/1.7 as agood basic cheap but very functional portrait lens to start with. Really, any of the older 50mm primes would be fine if you find one cheap enough to be worth it to you, but that one tends to be the best value, I think.
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'd recommend the M50/1.7 as agood basic cheap but very functional portrait lens to start with. Really, any of the older 50mm primes would be fine if you find one cheap enough to be worth it to you, but that one tends to be the best value, I think.

Thank you both, for now I will get the M50/1.7 based on my research. It will fit my budget and love the pictures.

I would love the 85mm's listed, but they are so pricey right now! Unless I get the Vivitar/Samyung/ 85/1.4 :/...
07-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
+1 on the M 50/1.7 as an affordable portrait lens on the K-x.

Steve

07-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
I am not sure if I can post ebay links or other vendors.

I am looking at a few m50/1.7 on ebay, can someone please PM the item number or link so I know I am buying the right lens?

Do I need anything else or will it directly fit the k-x?

Thank again for all the help.
07-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatenp Quote
I am not sure if I can post ebay links or other vendors.

I am looking at a few m50/1.7 on ebay, can someone please PM the item number or link so I know I am buying the right lens?

Do I need anything else or will it directly fit the k-x?

Thank again for all the help.
A Pentax-M 50/1.7 will say Pentax-M on the front of the lens. See photo here:

Pentax Lens Review Database - SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews

Steve