Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* lenses availability in Canada...

Here is the response I recieved to my inquiry on this subject. I have both on preoder...
QuoteQuote:
Hi, Lens DA 16-50 mm and DA 50-135 mm are really news products offered by Pentax. Unfortunately, in Canada, we didnít receive it yet, but we are waiting for in September.

We are sorry that you have to waiting for, but be sure then we keep your order close and ready to ship it immediately when we receive it.

Feel free to contact us if you have any other question.

Have a good day,

Lisa Guay
Order Desk
Pentax Canada

08-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
September eh, ouch... I'm not sure what CameraCanada's availability might be but it says Special Order and frankly I just cannot justify spending almost $1300 on the DA * lenses (CDN $). I nearly ordered a 50-135 from B&H when they were listed at $799 US but they closed down the orders and the price went back up to $999.99 US.

I'm also a bit peeved that they don't offer the rebate program up here in Canada but that's for another rant
08-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Same old story.....we seem to get things much later than the US and usually at a price that's inflated over the cost of the same equipment in the states (even factoring the exchange).

Pentax did good by adjusting the price of their lenses about a year and a half ago so they were more in line with US prices. Unfortunately, that philosophy doesn't seem to extend to the DA*'s...although b&h's increase in cost makes the CDN price look a little less like a farce.

On a bright note, The Camera Store (which is in Alberta somewhere) had the DA* 50-135 listed at $1219.00 IIRC and they don't pay PST.....which makes it almost tempting.
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

It would still be much cheaper to order it from B&H, I think. I should of ordered it when it wass 799 but I was going to wait a few days, and then the price went up by 200. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt!

08-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #5

Besides the late Canadian orders, that's some fantastic engrish in that reply. I'm not sure if it would be worth it but if any of you Canadian residents have relatives or friends in the US, you can have your lens shipped to them and then to you in Canada (I do this for my family and friends there). You'll probably get dinged for customs but that might be less then what the Canadian retailers are selling the lens for. The Canadian and American dollar are pretty even right now (1.00 CAD = 0.93 USD).
08-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #6

I'm just waiting to finish up the last film here in Montreal before heading back to Toronto at which point I'm just going to go to NYC for 2 or 3 days and stock up. After 48 hours you're allowed $400 of goods, but you also qualify for a personal exemption of duties which usually means they only make you pay GST or HST (whichever is higher of course). The benefit to this method is that Photography Equipment is covered as Duty Free under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) which saves a significant amount of money

Who's up for a canadian pentaxian cross border shopping spree?
08-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I missed the $799 BH as well - doooooooh - I checked with McBain and they have no idea on delivery. I also checked with cameracanda.com (in Ontario) and they do not have the 50-135 listed as they cannot get a delivery date and customers are already complaing about the DA* 16-50 that has been on their web site for months already. The 16-50 is STILL listed and when I called yesterday they mentioned 'Novemeber ish' (they sounded as frustracted as the rest of us) I am not sure that was even 2007

I am heading to San Diego in September - might get lucky there. Then Vegas in the fall. The price is hard to justify I agree however if I look and there is one in either of the locations in stock the Visa may come out haha.

As for the rebate thing yeah supply and demand - with our southern neighbours have about 10-1 in population - firck.

As an FYI there is no more 'duty' on items shipped across the boarder - you pay the GST and an administration fee - I am not sure about PST as I am in one of those provinces where we have no PST. So with the dollar pretty close and the rebate prices it does make sense to buy in the US. You need to get the rebate up front as most of the mail in ones require a US address.

I persoanlly am torn between the DA*50-135 and the Bigma both about the same $$ leaning towards the latter at the moment.
08-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #8

Well, after searching around a bit I'm a little bit confused at how some stores in Canada price their items. I called my retailer to ask for some clarification and here's what I find odd:

DA * 16-50 price at B&H - $899 US
DA & 16-50 price at CameraCanada - $944 CDN
roughly $50 price difference.

DA * 50-135 price at B&H - $999 US
DA * 50-135 price at CameraCanada - $1227 CDN
just a bit below a $300 price difference.

Seems a bit odd to me how there's only $100 US difference between the two lenses, yet it somehow increases to $300 CDN difference for the 50-135 when it should be roughly the same difference...

Lame.

08-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Hi from London,

Not wishing to hijack your lens thread, but how come you seem to get endless rebates on photographic equipment in the U.S.A. when we never seem to get so much of a 'sniff' of a cashback offer over here in pricey old Blighty ??? In the U.S I understand the RRP for a Pentax K10D LiON battery is only $49.00, yet over here it's what I consider to be an outrageous £49.00 or approx U.S. $100.00 at current exchange rates. Jeez, what gives with you guys in the States ? How come you get all the 'sweet deals' and we get continually ripped-off ??

Yours enviously,
Richard
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi from London,

Not wishing to hijack your lens thread, but how come you seem to get endless rebates on photographic equipment in the U.S.A. when we never seem to get so much of a 'sniff' of a cashback offer over here in pricey old Blighty ??? In the U.S I understand the RRP for a Pentax K10D LiON battery is only $49.00, yet over here it's what I consider to be an outrageous £49.00 or approx U.S. $100.00 at current exchange rates. Jeez, what gives with you guys in the States ? How come you get all the 'sweet deals' and we get continually ripped-off ??

Yours enviously,
Richard
(and these are estimates) 2007
US Population:
UK Population:
Canada Population:
08-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi "daacon"

Grrrrrrr..........guess I shall have to start 'putting-it-about-a-bit' ? I'll see what the wife has to say about this proposal ???

Best regards
Richard
08-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi "daacon"

Grrrrrrr..........guess I shall have to start 'putting-it-about-a-bit' ? I'll see what the wife has to say about this proposal ???

Best regards
Richard
That would be 'quite a bit' ..... Good luck with that one