Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Need DA*16-50 advice: return or service

Based on the recommendations of several contributors in the thread I started comparing the DA16-50 to the Tamron, I attempted some photos in which I manually focussed the Pentax. In 2 out of 3 shots I was able to dramatically improve the sharpness of the image when I used MF vs. AF at f2.8. So maybe my issue is more related to back/front/decentering focussing and not optical quality at f2.8.
Now my question, should I return the lens to B&H for an exchange (and wait while they get more in stock)? Or should I send the lens to Pentax to see if they can fix the apparent AF problem? (With the 2nd option I run the risk of Pentax not being able to fix things and then getting stuck with the lens because the return period will be passed.) Does anyone have experience with Pentax fixing a focussing problem?
I am leaning toward sending it back to B&H for another. Many thanks in advance for any quidance.

Last edited by Wethphotography; 08-15-2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added decentering as likely problem
08-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #2

If it is a focusing problem, there is a good chance that it could be fixed by pentax, however you could also be told that the lens is within specs and then have to live with it since you can no longer return it.

If it was me, I would return it to B&H and wait for a replacement. You could however, at least call Pentax support and see what they recommend you do...
08-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If BH has more DA*s in stock and perhaps you can return it to the store for an immediate replacement.
08-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with FotoPete and kbrabble- is there a restocking fee ? Can you get a new one straight across without any extra $$ ? As you mentioned the return policy no questions asked is limited.

Even if you have to pay shipping I would return it. The big deal is any more in stock ? Will you have to wait 6 weeks for the new stock to come in - then that is a tougher choice for sure.

Good Luck