Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Where to get ND>8 filters ?

Hi all, not been around these parts in a little while, good to drop by.

So I recently got myself a Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens, which I'm having great fun with (graduation present to myself, was the official excuse!)

Now however, I find myself wanting to use F1.4 etc more and more, for the depth of field, than general light levels will usually allow. This has got me thinking that I should make use of some Neutral Density filters. I had one of these a couple of years back for my old sony F717, so I know how handy they are.

However, doing the maths, Wikipedia tells me the "full f-stop" scale is: f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16
... meaning if I want to use F1.4 at a situation where the camera wants F4, I need an ND8, and beyond that ND16, ND32, ND64. Quite often the camera is asking for f5.6 or f8 (summer sun doing its thing!)

So I was wondering, ND8s are fairly easy to find in 62mm, but I can't find anywhere except some dubious chinese retailers who will sell the more powerful filters at all.

I know you can stack ND filters (ND8=3 stops, ND4=2 stops, together=5=ND32) but that gets bulkier on the camera. My thought was to get just one circular filter, maybe an ND16, which I could keep on the front or in my bag as necessary, without being too much hassle.

I specifically want a circular filter, don't want the hassle/bulk of anything cokin-esque at the moment!

Just wondered if anyone here might have any clue where to get one...

Thanks!

07-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could try a fader filter like this one which does ND2 to ND400 depending on how much you rotate it (like a polarizer)--that'll solve the stacking problem!
Fader ND Filter (adjustable ND2 to ND400) 62mm New - eBay (item 180507594526 end time Jul-13-10 08:42:00 PDT)

I bought one for a friend who was using it for video and it arrived pretty quickly.
07-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
MrA

Original Poster
That's a cool device, didn't know they made those!

EDIT: what was the feedback on it, does it work well, image quality okay etc? Can't seem to find a comprehensive review of it anywhere, nor the Singh-Ray alternative.

Last edited by MrA; 07-10-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: to avoid doublepost!
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
That's a cool device, didn't know they made those!

EDIT: what was the feedback on it, does it work well, image quality okay etc? Can't seem to find a comprehensive review of it anywhere, nor the Singh-Ray alternative.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/89051-neu...ilter-faq.html

07-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Go check out 2filter.com, they should have ND8's, also known as a 3 stop ND. I would also say for what you intend to use it for, just buy a screw in 62mm filter, not a Filter Holder (Cokin) setup. The fader ND's are cool, but pricey. You can almost accomplish the same thing with a linear and circular polarizer. If I can ever get the pics done I need, I can finish my Polarizer FAQ, just been a little busy, and that explains why a linear and CP will change light transmission so dramatically (same concept as a Fader ND).