Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Soligor Zoom+Macro 75-200mm

On a whim I picked up the following lens on ebay for $25....

Soligor Zoom+Macro 75-200mm 1:4.5 Pentax PKA Mount

Looked real clean in the posted photos but I won't receive it for at least a week.

Anyone familiar with this lens? I'm hoping that it will work OK on a K7 & Kx.

I already have a 55-300 DA and I'm not expecting this lens to be anywhere near as nice but I had to satisfy the LBA I was dealing with earlier.

I can't find much on it but Soligor in general seems to get fairly weak reviews.

Attached Images

07-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only advantage I see is the potential quasi-macro capability, as the Pentax 55-300 is not a close focuser. Otherwise, somewhat of a redundant choice, unless you wanted a manual lens.
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, I acknowledge the buy is somewhat redundant.
Actually I have two other Soligor lenses that I had purchased over 35 years ago for use with my first SLR, a Canon TLb. I was researching a bit on Soligor and it might be possible to switch the Canon's mount to a Pentax K. If you look at the picture of the mount on the Soligor lens I just bought you'll see PKA engraved, indicating a Pentax mount. Looking at my old lenses, it looks like the Canon mounts are engraved "CA" and is attached with 3 screws. If that's the case maybe the conversion would be very easy. For $25 not only will I have another lens but also an opportunity to experiment with the conversion process.
Anyway my purchase was provoked more so as an evaluation of the Soligor brand of lens on my DSLR cameras, a K7 & Kx. I recall getting only mediocre but still acceptable results when I used the Soligor lenses I already had with my TLb. But I didn't use them often and the little I did was a long time ago.
The newly purchased $25 lens appears to be in "low-use" condition so it might represent a good test lens. Assuming I get decent results I can use its macro feature when I need to and also have an additional lens that will yield a 105-300mm equivalent focal range (1.5X).
If the results are impressive I might pursue getting my old CA mounted Soligors convert to PKA mounts and out of retirement. I see many PKA mounted Soligors on ebay selling for peanuts (which probably means that the IQ is crap) so conversion would cost very little.
Being that there's limited information on Soligors I'd figured I'd post an inquiry if anyone is using Soligors with their Pentax DSLR and what they thought of them. I acknowledge that my new purchase might be somewhat redundant but I'd get some satisfaction if it turns out that for a few bucks I could get my old lenses back in action and they give me decent pictures. If it doesn't work out I'm only out a few dollars.
So if there's any PKA mount Soligor users out there give me some feedback. My old Soligors are a 28mm wide (42mm @ 1.5x) and a 75- 260mm (112-390mm@1.5x).