Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
May I suggest a pair of filter wrenches? One goes on the filter, and one on the lens barrel right next to the filter. Turn in opposite directions. If your local store doesn't have them, then here's a link to a set from B&H for a 67mm filter. For $5 it's worth a shot:
General Brand | Filter Wrench (Set of 2) | B&H Photo Video
Crap! They even make'em and sell them at photo shops?!
Okay, now I feel like even less of an idiot than before. ;0

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Quite frankly the answer IS in my message; it's a shame your childish impatience prevents you from seeing it. You also need to be careful who you snap at, I bite!
Okay, I'll bite ...
Literally, from A to Z, these forums--perhaps all forums--are a wellspring of unending trivia, a few answers with some grain of truth, but much that's utter nonsense and some that is total BS. And always a few trolls like you: devoid of humor or playfulness, rude and intolerant like most spoiled brat children. Heck, you didn't even ask the original question.
Do I have to point out my signature?
Bryan J Smith, Engineering Consultant, Photography Uber-Noob
Given the el'cheapo dSLR kit I've build, you can see I'm not a professional, not an amateur, not even a novice, but an uber-noob.
I've only had my dSLR some three (3) months now.

And before you fire another salvo consider this: On a year by year basis, I've got 30% more experience with cameras then you have with life; your parents were probably children when I started my career. It would stand to reason that I know the answer and punk kids like you will need to suffer a bit of humility and frustration before I cough-up that answer.
Okay, let's reverse this.

I have been insulted, raped and otherwise lambasted on electronics by non-EEs on this board (among others) when I tried to warn people of the dangers of using Li-Ion batteries in the K100D.
Especially after I took the careful time, consideration and, in some cases, "appeasement" in writing this blog entry:
BS' Blog: Rechargeable Li-Ion is not Non-Rechargeable Lithium (e.g., Li-Mn, Li-Fe)

You claim a lot of experience, but I haven't been able to appreciate that because you didn't even answer my question!
Me, little poor me, who needs the answers from such "experts/professionals" as yourself, but you won't provide.
At the same time, you're trolling and no different than the type of person who likes to me how a voltage regulator works!

Sigh, sometimes I believe people just can't live without making themselves feel "better" than someone else.
I just try to help people, for I wish to be helped in return when I'm naive, ignorant or otherwise without knowledge on a select subject matter.
In fact, just because I'm an engineer and mechanically inclined doesn't mean I wasn't humble in coming here, asking this question, to find out what experienced, professionals do if and when they run into it.
I figured a "rubber rachet" or other solution would do the trick, but I had never seen one designed for lens filters (much less was too naive to know if they existed or not).

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
P.S. I hope I'm not spoiling the entertainment for "jfdavis58."
Hey, he can troll all he wants, make fun of me all he wants, it's just best not to feed the trolls (ooops! looks like I just did .
They were around for UseNet in the '80s, e-mail in the '90s, and definitely not going away with the web forum in the 21st century.

Thanx for all the answers.
As far as Mr. Davis, it's ironic, but if he had a technical question in my area of expertise, I'd help him, and respect him for any humbleness in asking the most basic of questions.

08-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #17

Original Poster
You guys aren't going to believe this.

I tried everything I had rubber in the house. It didn't budge. I was just about to order one of those filter wrenches when I decided to so something, at first, I thought was "stupid."

It turned out it wasn't as stupid as I thought.

I merely took a flat head screwdriver and jimmy'd it on the side that was least threaded/screwed in. Pop! It came off on the 3rd try. Why?

It was barely threaded in. I don't know why I didn't notice that before. It wouldn't budge trying to unscrew it, but it easily "popped off" once I jimmy'd it. And the threads are completely intact, so it went back on easily (and correctly).

I guess the extreme angle of the threading difference finally made me realize that all I needed to do was jimmy it. And I was right. Thanx for all the responses here, all good info! Turned out to be easier than I thought.