Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #1

Misthreaded 67mm filter on DA 16-45 ...

I carelessly misthreaded a 67mm filter on my new DA 16-45. Didn't realize it until I tried to take it off. I can't seem to get it off by turning it by hand.

Can anyone recommend another method? Possibly like a "rubber rachet" or something? Taking all input, don't want to damage the lens.

I could care less about the cheap, Chinese-made filter at this point (it said "JAPAN" on it, until I got it and then it said "JAPAN" with "made in China" much smaller). I might just carefully break the filter (it cost $40) and then I could easily manipulate its frame to get it off. But I'd rather not do that.

08-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of my good purchases was a strap wrench set from Sears. I use them often, and since my wife has a set I can use two of the same size for a taks like yours. It would be tricky to grip the thin lens rim, but I think a strap wrench would work.
08-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #3

If you've got a wide elastic, you can try putting that on there and twisting off before going out to buy a tool. If you have a rubber mat of some kind, you could also trying gently pushing the filter into it and turn the lens at the same time. There's a chance you haven't cross-threaded it either. I've had filters bind up on me before.
08-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

i've used an IDE hard drive cable before.

this also happened to me. after trying every thing i finally bit the bullet.
i could not remove the glass(some filters you can) so i ended up breaking the glass out. next i took a set of channel lock pliers and bent the sides of the ring til they almost touched each other in the middle. i then just kept bending until the ring came out. it did not harm the threads on the lens.

edit: do this over a thash can.

08-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Byran, I've encountered tis issue as well. "North of the Border" we have these Dollar stores that sell 3 pack jar openers for $1.00 with a rubber lid grip on the inside edge. It worked wonders to remove a jammed filter for me a couple of times over the years. The rubber is flat inside and was able to grab the thin filter rim just fine and I was able to reuse the filters as well. As a last resort I did once have to do the same thing as Roy and basically crush the filter ring. You can remove the glass on most filters fairly easily as they are often held in place with a split "O" ring. Just take a small screwdriver, insert it in the small slot in the ring and pop the split ring out. The glass will drop out easily after that. Then pinch the filter rim together and remove the damaged filter.
08-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
First off, I'm glad I'm not "the village idiot" since this has happened to others. It was in my haste, as I was taking the filter on and off (between shooting in bright sunlight and then in tents). Although I'm really disappointed in the threading of either the lens or the filter at this point (I'm leaning towards blaming the latter).

Secondly, just so everyone knows, I've tried a flat-head screwdriver into the knurling, but just with my own hand pressure (not tapping it with something like a hammer, which is too much vibration IMHO -- someone suggested that on another board, yikes!). That didn't work.

I was visualizing one of those rubber oil filter tools. That has now been confirmed as a good approach by several now (including another board).

Peter -- your suggestion to use a rubber jar opener is a great idea as well, and can't hurt to try! I think I might try that first.

BTW, I don't think I cross-threaded it, it clearly seems to have a "gap" on one side, and "flush" on the other -- showing that it just went on wrong, but possibly didn't ruin the threading.
08-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Zoom the DA lens to 16mm. Make sure you grip the very first cam module. The piece that has the filter stuck on it. Otherwise you may wreck the lens.

08-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote
First off, I'm glad I'm not "the village idiot" since this has happened to others. It was in my haste, as I was taking the filter on and off (between shooting in bright sunlight and then in tents). Although I'm really disappointed in the threading of either the lens or the filter at this point (I'm leaning towards blaming the latter).

Secondly, just so everyone knows, I've tried a flat-head screwdriver into the knurling, but just with my own hand pressure (not tapping it with something like a hammer, which is too much vibration IMHO -- someone suggested that on another board, yikes!). That didn't work.

I was visualizing one of those rubber oil filter tools. That has now been confirmed as a good approach by several now (including another board).

Peter -- your suggestion to use a rubber jar opener is a great idea as well, and can't hurt to try! I think I might try that first.

BTW, I don't think I cross-threaded it, it clearly seems to have a "gap" on one side, and "flush" on the other -- showing that it just went on wrong, but possibly didn't ruin the threading.
this thread pretty much says
that the only dumb/stupid question is ''the one you did not ask''
08-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forums are such a riot! I was going to suggest a jackhammer or a cutting torch-tried and true methods of unsticking a filter, sure enough. About as effective as rubber bands and jar openers!

I'm torn with knowing how to unstick and the tremendous entertainment of watching all the suggestions!

I'm going to watch a while--should be fun.

I carelessly mis threaded a 67mm filter on my new DA 16-45. Didn't realize it until I tried to take it off. I can't seem to get it off by turning it by hand.

Can anyone recommend another method? Possibly like a "rubber rachet" or something? Taking all input, don't want to damage the lens.

I could care less about the cheap, Chinese-made filter at this point (it said "JAPAN" on it, until I got it and then it said "JAPAN" with "made in China" much smaller). I might just carefully break the filter (it cost $40) and then I could easily manipulate its frame to get it off. But I'd rather not do that.
08-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Forums are such a riot! I was going to suggest a jackhammer or a cutting torch-tried and true methods of unsticking a filter, sure enough. About as effective as rubber bands and jar openers!

I'm torn with knowing how to unstick and the tremendous entertainment of watching all the suggestions!

I'm going to watch a while--should be fun.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. What exactly are these forums here for if people can't ask questions and get answers?
08-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite frankly the answer IS in my message; it's a shame your childish impatience prevents you from seeing it. You also need to be careful who you snap at, I bite!

Literally, from A to Z, these forums--perhaps all forums--are a wellspring of unending trivia, a few answers with some grain of truth, but much that's utter nonsense and some that is total BS. And always a few trolls like you: devoid of humor or playfulness, rude and intolerant like most spoiled brat children. Heck, you didn't even ask the original question.

And before you fire another salvo consider this: On a year by year basis, I've got 30% more experience with cameras then you have with life; your parents were probably children when I started my career. It would stand to reason that I know the answer and punk kids like you will need to suffer a bit of humility and frustration before I cough-up that answer.

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. What exactly are these forums here for if people can't ask questions and get answers?
08-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Quite frankly the answer IS in my message; it's a shame your childish impatience prevents you from seeing it. You also need to be careful who you snap at, I bite!

Literally, from A to Z, these forums--perhaps all forums--are a wellspring of unending trivia, a few answers with some grain of truth, but much that's utter nonsense and some that is total BS. And always a few trolls like you: devoid of humor or playfulness, rude and intolerant like most spoiled brat children. Heck, you didn't even ask the original question.

And before you fire another salvo consider this: On a year by year basis, I've got 30% more experience with cameras then you have with life; your parents were probably children when I started my career. It would stand to reason that I know the answer and punk kids like you will need to suffer a bit of humility and frustration before I cough-up that answer.
I see you're the friendly sort that make forums enjoyable.
08-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I carelessly misthreaded a 67mm filter on my new DA 16-45. Didn't realize it until I tried to take it off. I can't seem to get it off by turning it by hand.

May I suggest a pair of filter wrenches? One goes on the filter, and one on the lens barrel right next to the filter. Turn in opposite directions. If your local store doesn't have them, then here's a link to a set from B&H for a 67mm filter. For $5 it's worth a shot:

General Brand | Filter Wrench (Set of 2) | B&H Photo Video

P.S. I hope I'm not spoiling the entertainment for "jfdavis58."
08-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Depending on the filter, you can just use the rubber band or the jar opener as suggested before.

Set the lens to 16mm so the barrel extends the fullest. With one hand, grip the lens collar and then use the other to wrench the filter free with the jar opener.
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I hope we can keep this thread civil..

Now to the OP..

filter wrench | B&H Photo Video

Last edited by joele; 08-16-2007 at 02:54 PM.