Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #1

Is it worth renting lenses?

Do you guys think it's worth renting lenses to use or would you rather save your money and hopefully try to collect enough money to buy the lenses itself.

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. It was kinda hard finding where it would go..

07-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the lens forum.

I think unless you need to use an expensive a lens for a short period of time or for a particular shoot, there's no sense in renting a lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I never shoot tele. The MotoGP rolls around once a year in this country so I can't really justify paying $1000+ for a 300mm lens I get 1-3 days of the year out of. In saying that, the event is coming up and I have no idea where to rent Pentax lenses or prices.
07-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A lot really depends on your usage and requirements and whose paying.

If your earning from your photography, for the odd one off event and provided you were in a major city you can always rent quickly and easily for both Canon and Nikon equipment.

Try to do that with Pentax, it's kinda a different story, you may have to buy what you need.

07-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This place does Pentax lens rentals. I don't have any personal experience with them.
07-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Must be good. Resellerratings gives them 9.85, ChooseAName. And I've bookmarked the site for future rentals.

phuey, sorry for hijacking your thread but I too can't just go out and buy lenses, so rentals are an interest to me also.
07-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
This place does Pentax lens rentals. I don't have any personal experience with them.
I have used them many times in the past and they are great.

For the original poster I would say YES it is worth it. Let's say you have always wanted a lens but never used it. Rent the lens for a week to get the idea of how it works, feels and if it is something you think you will use all the time. Or if for a specific event that you may need a zoom. I for one always wanted a Bigma 50-500 but don't have the $1000 (give or take) to by it. But there is a big Air Show here in a few weeks and I will be renting it for a week for $60. the folks there are really great and no not related or friends just know from renting from them.

I will leave you with ALWAYS GET THE INSURANCE!! It is worth the extra few bucks

07-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I've used cameralensrentals several times. They've never disappointed so far.

Renting a lens that you know that you're going to buy eventually (if you have the money) can be counterproductive, effectively making an already expensive purchase more expensive. On the other hand, since Pentax is so hard to find in stores, it can be a good way to try things out before sinking a considerable amount of money into a purchase. This is more of a gut call for you on a case by case basis.

I like to rent lenses for specific events (rented one for a wedding) and for fun when I know I probably won't buy the lens but want to give it a try. In that way its a good preventative measure against LBA-induced impulse buying.
07-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I too have found cameralensrental.com very accomodating and worthwhile. Before shelling out for a good tele I rented both a Bigma and the da*300 for the same 10 day period. After that it was easy to buy one with confidence that I already knew I could carry and swing for long periods. It allowed me to buy the lens at a lower price point by giving up the possibility of return if I just didnt like it.
07-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

Agree with everyone. They are great to work with. I used them to help decide between the DA 35 and the FA 43. After getting the 35, LBA got me to get the 43 though. It worked in my favor by deciding not to plop 500$ down on a 21 mm though. I would use it to decide between lenses if you are having trouble choosing. In the past cameralensrentals would let you apply part of your rental fee towards purchasing the lens you rented if you choose to buy it.
07-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too have rented from CLR, both for gigs as well as for testing/sampling lenses before buying. They have quite a selection of Pentax lenses and customer service is top notch.
07-12-2010, 04:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

a broken record....

One more vote for camera lens rental. I've used them, great results. I wouldn't hesitate to rent from them again....
07-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

CLR looks like a good idea. Too bad they don't rent some of the longer telephoto lenses Pentax used to make: FA 600/4, A 400/2.8 etc. Thier longest appears to be the DA *300/4. I'm considering buying this one so a rental might be in the offing. On the other hand 300mm really isn't very long for birding. It would be nice to be able to rent something much longer. Anyone know where a guy could rent longer Pentax or Pentax mount glass?

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-12-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
07-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #14

Lens rental is good thing even for some testing before buying. I have seen places, where the rental money can even be discounted from the buying price.
07-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

this is going to sound dumb but the obvious answer for me is that if you think renting a lens is worth it, it is a very good idea, and if you think it is foolish, it is a waste of your money.

personally, i havent done this yet but i see it as an excellent way to either 1) use a lens you won't buy for a single event (wedding, airshow), or 2)for trying before buying to prevent making a mistake with a pricey lens.

BTW, i would TOTALLY pay $60 to try out a Bigma; where do i sign up??

i say go for it!