Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
cheap/inexpensive lense

any cheap auto focus lenses out there for the k100d DSLR?

08-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you be more specific? Just so you know, autofocus lenses carry a much larger price premium compared to manaul focus lenses.

If you are looking for help, please be as specific as possible with regards to

- what kinda of lens you are looking for (wide angle, telephoto, zoom, prime ,etc)
- budget/$$ you are willing to spend
08-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just wondering what my options are. Are there aftermarket companies that make lenses for pentax besides just name brand. Where could I find a resource for them. I currently own m/f wide angle telephoto and standard lenses. pretty much looking for a ball park
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #4

eBay, B&H Photo, KEH, Craigslist, and different photography forums are your marketplaces. As for lens besides Pentax, there's a lot of off-brand lens out there. Which ones are good? I'm not sure but I've had good results with Sigma, Vivitar and Tamron.

08-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
eBay, B&H Photo, KEH, Craigslist, and different photography forums are your marketplaces. As for lens besides Pentax, there's a lot of off-brand lens out there. Which ones are good? I'm not sure but I've had good results with Sigma, Vivitar and Tamron.
Yup I've used Sigma and Tamron and have been pleased with both. However I don't use autofocus so I can't tell you how well the AF performs.

You can also try some of the older Pentax AF lenses but check user reviews first because some designs were rather poor.
08-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #6

if you're talking about cheap as I see cheap (under 200 is great, 100 is excellent), and you already have the k100d kit lens, check out the Tamron 70-300mm DI macro (don't know the full name...)
I have seen this around and considered it, and it came highly recommended by some other shooters I know on flickr.

Best of all, it goes for around 150-180. So you can complement your 18-55 with 70-300 which gives you a pretty wide range (28-450 in 35mm terms, with a slight break in the middle) in just two lenses.

It's not a great low light lens, I'd guess, at 4-5.6, but pretty sweet for the price. You migth be able to find one even cheaper used on ebay, but at 150 (one seller on ebay I saw..I think cameta camera?) new, I'd rather buy new.

I'm in the same boat and thinking of getting this myself.

I'm sure sigma makes an equivalent. and I'm pretty sure Pentax does as well (80-300 I think?)

it really depends on what you want. But this would be a nice long range lens to go with the wide angle kit lens
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Promaster has a line of K mount lenses that are lower in price than Sigma Tokina or Tamron. How they function is not a question I can answer but price wise they are "cheep" and autofocus lenses.Vivitar has a newer line of AF K mount also . For new lenses they are rock bottom priced.
Personally I am fond of Sigma and Tokina but they can be rather costly for the better quality lenses they sell. They also have a less costly line of AF/K lenses.
Kenn

08-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax FA 75-300 goes for $129 at B&H. The DA 50-200 is $179 but seldom in stock. Both have good reviews on this forum.
08-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Given a choice between the Pentax 75-300 and the Sigma or Tamron variants - Go with the third-party choices.

The Promaster lenses are rebadged Tamrons and Sigmas, just like Quantaray lenses. Usually the differences are in stuff like warranty and accessories. For example, the Quantaray (Ritz/Wolf Camera store brand) 70-300 can be either a non-APO Sigma or the Tamron, and is cheaper than a name brand Tamron but has a lower warranty and a not-so-nice lens cap. (The real Tamron has a center pinch style lens cap that lets you remove the hood from the lens when the cap is mounted, the Quantaray has a cap whose edges stick out way past the filter ring edges, making it impossible to remove the hood when the cap is on.)
08-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Given a choice between the Pentax 75-300 and the Sigma or Tamron variants - Go with the third-party choices.
Never having even tried the third-party choices, I'll second that motion heartily.

I spent all last week shooting with just my FA J 75-300 and ended up with a week's worth of crap. The thing is tolerable at the 75 end, but that's about it. Pentax ought to be ashamed to put their name on it. Mine is going on the auction block, together with the kit lens. That'll take me entirely out of both the zoom and the auto-focus game.
08-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Why did you even buy that thing haha. Should try to find local stores so you can at least take a couple test shots before you buy the lens!
08-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Why did you even buy that thing haha. Should try to find local stores so you can at least take a couple test shots before you buy the lens!
In some areas it's damn near impossible to find local stores that have Pentax lenses, so shopping for lenses is all about finding places with good return policies. (The Ritz Camera about 45 minutes away was in this category for my 70-300.)
08-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #13

Hmmm... I don't want any CHEAP lenses. Inexpensive quality lenses however, I'll take.
Both Pentax kit lenses are good. Tamron or Sigma 70-300. Used FA 50 or DA 40. Phoenix 100mm macro. More MF A-series lenses than I can name (I know you said AF, I'm just mentioning there are lots of quality MF lenses out there)...

Chris