Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zuiko Quote
Sorry but have to rectify that, it is not RETIREMENT but LAYOFF, as it occurred he was only 47 years old, which would have been one`s heyday.
I believe this is just a unsubstantiated rumor created by who you know....

11-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I believe this is just a unsubstantiated rumor created by who you know....
Would you take it as truth provided Mr. Hirakawa call you and confirm it in person ONLY, you will never feel satisfied.

If you are interested in digging the truth, no matter google "平川 纯"and inspect a couple of related pages returned (better directly from Japan) and your effort in clarifying the 'rumor' will be much appreciated.
04-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone ever find the truth to why he's not with Pentax anymore?

It just seems odd to retire at 47, and its just as odd for Pentax to let one of their top lens designers go
04-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Would you take it as truth provided Mr. Hirakawa call you and confirm it in person ONLY, you will never feel satisfied.

If you are interested in digging the truth, no matter google "平川 纯"and inspect a couple of related pages returned (better directly from Japan) and your effort in clarifying the 'rumor' will be much appreciated.
Maybe it is not the case where you live, but I consider digging these personal details and rumoring on them as very rude and unpolite.
I give Mr. Hirakawa credit for designing lenses I like, but as matter of fact many of them were less successful on the market than some less ambitions degins other engineers did for Pentax (see DA14 vs DA15).

04-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not Hirakawa. I believe it was designed by a team of Pentax optics engineers
I always thought so, the FA31mm f/1.8 renders OOF areas differently when compared to the FA43 and FA77 - the use of an aspherical element is a curios addition, the FA31 is the only FA limited to use one, though the rumour that the early FA43's have one still persists - that bit of misinformation lingers more around the Leica M crowd. IMO the FA31 is much closer to the 50mm f/1.2 in terms of bokeh characteristics.
09-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #21
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hirakawa Jun - Camerapedia

smc Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
smc Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8 ED [IF]
smc Pentax-FA★ 24mm F2 AL [IF]
smc Pentax-FA 28mm F2.8 AL
smc Pentax-FA 35mm F2 AL
smc Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
smc Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
smc Pentax-DA★ 55mm F1.4 SDM
smc Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
smc Pentax-FA★ 80-200 F2.8 ED [IF]
smc Pentax-FA★ 85mm F1.4 [IF]

Last edited by ogl; 02-21-2016 at 10:56 AM.
09-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Internet sites repeat the rumor from you know who. That doesn't make them correct. The rumor is based on nothing but a) someone has quit working for Pentax. b) Hoya sacked people. Hence someone must have been sacked by Hoya. We have no way of knowing the original relationship with Pentax, whether he quit at his own free will (people do change job without getting sacked), or got sacked. Did the AF developing team from Pentax, that ended up designing Nikon F6 (or was it the F5; who remembers?) AF system also got the sack?
The person in question had his own mailing list about 15 years ago or so. Information from there makes me have little faith in the rumors.
02-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tumbleguts Quote
^^^^^^^^^
I'm only joking above.
He definitely designed the 43mm and 77mm Limiteds. It would be interesting to know other Pentax lens designers too - cos' lets face it, Pentax has created some pretty amazing lenses in it's time.
I'm particularly interested in knowing who designed the 31mm?
That funni

02-21-2016, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I imagine him living quietly in a secluded, heavily wooded hilltop villa in view of Mt Fuji. He bides his time reading philosophy and novels, feeding his goats, and occasionally - entertaining questions from young Pentaxians and lens designers who are persistent enough to locate him, and to hike up to where he lives, to get close to his genius. He serves them tea, and laughingly waves them off with an "Oh, I don't do those things any more. It's a young man's game."

After they leave, he shuffles back to his house, opens up a notebook, pages through brilliant, unrealized diagrams of 26 f/1.6, 50 f/1.2, 135 f/2, 180 f/2.8, and 300 f/4 Limiteds, their design and potential capability peerless.

He closes the notebook, finishes his tea, and sits down in front of the fire with his cat to finish his novel before retiring for the evening.

I have an image in my head of Bertwert journeying to the First Pentax Temple to return him his prototype FA77, attached to a K-1, and ask him to save Pentax from the evil that threatens it. Alternatively "Help me, Hirakawa, you're my only hope."
02-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hirakawa Jun - Camerapedia - Wikia

I read somewhere that he now works for Tamron (or Tokina, not sure which).
02-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have an image in my head of Bertwert journeying to the First Pentax Temple to return him his prototype FA77, attached to a K-1, and ask him to save Pentax from the evil that threatens it. Alternatively "Help me, Hirakawa, you're my only hope."
You give Rico to much credit for smarts
02-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
You give Rico to much credit for smarts
LOL chill, it was just a little bit of fun.