Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How Weather Resistant are "WR" lenses?

Like "no worries if you get caught in a drizzle" or "stand out in the downpour and take pictures."?

slinky

07-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

More like accidentally drop it into the ocean for a few seconds and come out OK.

I've taken my Kx into drizzles without a problem and have seen/heard some pretty amazing stories involving the K20D and K7.
07-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
Like "no worries if you get caught in a drizzle" or "stand out in the downpour and take pictures."?
Your post is listed under SLR lens discussion, but one cannot dissociate between the camera and lens: you want your system (camera+lens) to be WR to shot in all-weather. If you like to shoot outdoor, and do not want to be restricted to some nice weather conditions only, then WR is a must. I have myself used my camera under atrocious conditions (rainpour, mud, dirt) and my system survived although I was careful even with a WR system.

More generally, I have the opinion that the WR camera body is a requisite. For lenses, there are WR lenses, but there are also some very solid lenses that are sturdy and that can take a lot. As long as you take good care (TLC) to the lens, a sturdy lens can take a lot...

However it must be stressed that WR does not mean waterproof: this is sometimes a misunderstanding. When working outdoor, we always need to be careful with the camera and lenses, even WR systems.

Most Pentaxians will add that a further major risk when working outdoor or in rainy/dusty conditions is the lens swap. It can be very tricky to swap lenses in bad weather. I work a lot outdoor when I cannot restrict myself to nice weather conditions. My prefered setup is a single camera-lens setup : ie I do not swap lenses. Some Pentaxians use two camera bodies to have two lenses but avoiding the lens swap.

Last edited by hcc; 07-11-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typos
07-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The DA* line-up has better sealing than the WR series. I've seen a video of a K20 with a 16-50 under a faucet.

The Pentax site talks about using the DA* in "rainy and dusty conditions" but the WR in "damp, inclement conditions." So they don't really come out and say it, but WR is more about moisture than a dunk in the lake.

07-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm guessing they will be ok in a downpour as I have taken my NON WR Sigma out in the rain non extended with no issue after a quick wipe.
07-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I have taken my K10 + 16-50 under Moul Falls in Canada's Wells Grey Provincial Park. It seems to be working fine for this shot after going under that water behind the people. You just need to be sure that you never point the lens up so that you keep water droplets off the front element. I had to wipe off the viewfinder lens before composing this.

07-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
A-z
Forum Member

WR and DA* lenses are both well sealed and will be fine in a heavy downpour.

Check these out, lol!

07-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

As long as there is no pressurized water applied (fully immerged or stuff like that) water won't get in.