Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah.. I'm pretty into astrophotography as of late, so I think the 2.8 will really come in handy. Plus I want to be able to get nice bokeh out of a lot of my shots, including a wedding that I have coming up early next year.

I'm not really *wanting* to spend $700- $800 +, but if I'm only going to buy the 55-300 and be disappointed with the results.. well...

07-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Either you *need* f/2.8 and are willing to sacrifice 100mm at the long end, spend twice as much money, and carry around a lens three times heavier to get it, or else you're better off with the 55-300.

The 60-250/4 doens't even give you f/2.8, although it does give you great image quality and f/4 wihich is also worth something to some people - but it's nowhere *near* $500, so it wouldn't be in contention.
The more I think about it, the more I think I'll be disappointed if I don't go with the f2.8, particularly for the astrophotography side of things. I really don't think I will get away with anything less for that.

It seems there are a few different versions of the Sigma 70-200mm's - I have yet to work out which is best, but I have come to the conclusion that the macro version isn't really what I'm after. I really want to have a sharp image even at 200mm and as wide as possible.

The gap between 55 - 70 won't be too much of an issue, I don't think.