Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this DA* 60-250mm have questionable focusing?

Greetings all,

I got my replacement (yes, try two) DA* 60-250 from Amazon warehouse deals, and it’s just not focusing like my other DA* glass.

When it’s hunting for focus, it seems a bit jumpy, focusing and pausing 2 or sometimes 3 times before getting a lock; and sometimes it overshoots the focus, and then has to jump back. Also when I've been focusing on something very near, I’ve seen it get really close to in focus, pause, and then bounce way past in focus.

When my 50-135, 16-50, and 55 DA* glass focus, they smoothly pull the subject into focus.

Have I just gotten too pampered by my fast glass and its ability to focus? Is this just how this somewhat slower SDM glass focuses, or is this lens having focusing/SDM issues?

Thanks for the help!

07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Meh, I just compared it to my FA* 300, and other than I cant hear the focusing, it's about the same all in all. My biggest flub was having the AF not set to a single point when trying it out. When I set it to center only, it didn't seem to have any problems.

I also figured out the near focusing glitch. It's actually the lens hunting for focus, and trying to extend to a closer focus than is possible. When the FA* does this, I hear the drive halt, but with SDM it's so quiet it's hard to recognize.

Now to test the sharpness of this lens...

Mods, you can go ahead and delete this thread when you see it.
07-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Meh, I just compared it to my FA* 300, and other than I cant hear the focusing, it's about the same all in all. My biggest flub was having the AF not set to a single point when trying it out. When I set it to center only, it didn't seem to have any problems.

I also figured out the near focusing glitch. It's actually the lens hunting for focus, and trying to extend to a closer focus than is possible. When the FA* does this, I hear the drive halt, but with SDM it's so quiet it's hard to recognize.

Now to test the sharpness of this lens...

Mods, you can go ahead and delete this thread when you see it.
Or it can stay here as a lesson for future owners

Glad you figured it out!