Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 17-70mm - Differences between old and new one?

Hey, as the title says, I was just wondering in the differnece between the old and new models, minus the presence of optical stabilisation and HSM - it seems to me that on this forum, the older one is more often recommended than the first, I was just wondering why that was - optical differences or something ?

07-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I'm actually looking into it now, as I am considering both lenses. The older version is lighter, has a smaller diameter and a better close-focus "macro" ability. It's also cheaper.

I don't know how they compare optically. I've read too many contradicting opinions on 17-70 lenses the past few days, so I'm looking at other specs for now.
07-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The two Sigma 17-70mm's can be compared on this page in our lens database: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - All Products

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
imo there aren't really any posts that talk about one of the lenses' performance relative to the other, which is what I'm looking for.

07-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The older f/2.8~4.5 version has a minimum focusing distance of 20cm/7.9in to give a magnification ratio of 1:2.3

The newer OS HSM f/2.8~4 version has a minimum focusing distance of 22cm/8.7in to give a magnification ratio of 1:2.7

For a slight loss in max aperture at the 70mm range, the older version focuses closer (approximately life size), has fewer lens elements compared to the newer version (15 elements vs 17 elements), is lighter in weight and noticeably cheaper too.
I leave you to come to your own conclusions if the differences are significant considering that you get SR with either lens on a Pentax DSLR body. Granted the new version has quieter HSM but the older version had no issues with focusing speed.

Newer doesn't necessarily equate to better. Sigma has this penchant to improve on the specifications of it's lenses but as in the case of the 70-200mm f/2.8 (3 versions) for example, the latest version is said to be not as good optically compared to the first version.
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

According to Pop Photo: "Subject magnification topped out at 1:2.2 at 70mm—less magnifying power than the earlier, nonstabilized version’s 1:1.9 maximum. In fact, on every optical parameter we test, the new lens performed not quite as well as its predecessor."

Link to lens test article