Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
I emailed the ebay seller. He said they use the same Canon lens pic for ease of marketing, that a Pentax mount lens would ship and that it has the 'A' contacts

07-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I emailed the ebay seller. He said they use the same Canon lens pic for ease of marketing, that a Pentax mount lens would ship and that it has the 'A' contacts
One more reason to be happy that you're a Pentax user.

Are Nikon versions as lame as the Canon ones - meaning they work as presets?
07-16-2010, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New England
Photos: Albums
Posts: 689
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
One more reason to be happy that you're a Pentax user.

Are Nikon versions as lame as the Canon ones - meaning they work as presets?
"Non-professional" Nikon cameras require CPUs in the lenses for metered operation, so I think the Nikon versions of the Samyang lenses are as lame (or perhaps lamer, for those "non-professional" Nikon DSLR users). That's why Cosina likes to declare the Voigtländer SL Ⅱ as "CPU-enabled" manual focus, since that can be a big selling point for some Nikon users.
07-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,399
I just happened to notice the Bower version of the 14mm F2.8 at B&H and also a vivitar series 1 13mm F2.8. At first, I thought they might be the same lens, but the vivitar is a different optical formula.

Does anyone know about the vivitar and who makes it, and most specifically how it performs compared to the 14mm?

07-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New England
Photos: Albums
Posts: 689
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I just happened to notice the Bower version of the 14mm F2.8 at B&H and also a vivitar series 1 13mm F2.8. At first, I thought they might be the same lens, but the vivitar is a different optical formula.

Does anyone know about the vivitar and who makes it, and most specifically how it performs compared to the 14mm?
While I agree that the stats at B&H don't match up for the two lenses, Vivitar is just a marketing brand for Sakar International now, and I find it unlikely that there's a company other than Samyang who has a lens in the 13mm-14mm f/2.8 class. Slightly more likely is a tweaked formula. Most likely in my opinion is that the stats on one of those lenses is just wrong. (I believe Bower is the house brand for B&H, just like Pro-Optic is the house brand for Adorama. Still, I really don't have any thoughts on Sakar International, so if I had to choose, I'd trust them the least...)
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,399
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
While I agree that the stats at B&H don't match up for the two lenses, Vivitar is just a marketing brand for Sakar International now, and I find it unlikely that there's a company other than Samyang who has a lens in the 13mm-14mm f/2.8 class. Slightly more likely is a tweaked formula. Most likely in my opinion is that the stats on one of those lenses is just wrong. (I believe Bower is the house brand for B&H, just like Pro-Optic is the house brand for Adorama. Still, I really don't have any thoughts on Sakar International, so if I had to choose, I'd trust them the least...)
Interesting point, It is not the first time I have seen the vivitar version specified differently, they do the same thing on the fisheye, but they are not alone, I have seen it quoted by different rebranders anywher from 6-8mm.

I have the vivitar 85 and am pleased with it and was wondering whether they have some differences in the coatings perhaps because they go out of their way to distinguish it with different cosmetics, as opposed to bower and pro-optic, where I am sure it is only the name that changes
07-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 113
according to the review, that 14mm samyang seems to be the wonder of the lenses ... do other lenses with this kind of resolution and CA even exist ? i think it's so sharp that pentax bodies sensors will be the bottleneck, i mean even sensors are not that sharp ...

on the other hand it's possible that PZ received very special sample and mass produced ones are so-so at best .. are there any 3rd party confirmation of PZ review?

anyway am I right assuming that this

Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle Lens SLY14MMF2.8P - B&H Photo

is the same as this Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical - Full Format Review / Test Report

?
07-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #23
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 94
It would be nice if a forum member could confirm from own experience or direct witnessing that the lens has the "A" setting...

07-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,399
QuoteOriginally posted by danielausparis Quote
It would be nice if a forum member could confirm from own experience or direct witnessing that the lens has the "A" setting...
it only needs someone to go into adorama or B&H and look at the lenses, or alternately use the "ask the B&H " forum to respond, but from experience the samyang lenses use the P-KA mount, I have the 85mmF1.4 and the 8mm Fisheye and both are P-KA lenses
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,281
QuoteOriginally posted by danielausparis Quote
It would be nice if a forum member could confirm from own experience or direct witnessing that the lens has the "A" setting...
Pose the question to the "Ask B&H" section of this site.


Steve
08-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,227
Don't know what just happened but apparently I bought a Samyang 14mm UMC and should be receiving it in a couple of days

Actually I've been searching for an used ultra wide for some time now but got tired of looking and decided to treat myself to a brand new lens. I also asked the shop if it has the A contact and they said it does.

I'll post some pics once I get the lens.
08-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 499
I've been looking at that lens myself. I don't have the capital for it right now though. Be sure to try ptlens with it to fix the distortion that seems to be the only major fault with the lens.
08-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian
ovim's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tre, Finland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,227
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I've been looking at that lens myself. I don't have the capital for it right now though. Be sure to try ptlens with it to fix the distortion that seems to be the only major fault with the lens.
That was my plan. I also found this image from a Finnish forum which demonstrates non-corrected/corrected.



Apparently it was shot with Samyang 14mm and corrected with Panorama tools with the following parameters:

a=0.04269
b=-0.07952
c=-0.04215

btw I think this is the first time I got something cheaper from a Finnish webstore than from ebay. Finnish/Swedish Cyberphoto.fi sells this lens for 279e + 7e shipping
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #29
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 9
I have just bought all three "general use" Samyang lenses: the 85/1.4, the 14/2.8 and the 8/3.5 fisheye. All lenses have the A setting on the aperture ring and the construction seems very solid.
I haven't had much time to test them, but my first impression of all three is very good. I particularly love the 85mm's overall rendering.
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 113
I doubt that BH's bower 14mm is the same as samyang 14,, since in BH specs it says 14 elements 12 groups (2 aspherical, 2 ED elements) and samyang official site says 14 elements 10 groups (1 glass ASP 1 hybrid ASP).

then again samyang specs ::: Samyang Optics co., ltd. - We bring you Safety ::: - 14 elements 10 groups (1 glass ASP 1 hybrid ASP) do not match with photozone specs, 14 elements in 10 groups (2 aspherical, 2 ED elements). or is it the same?

this is so confusing. maybe these are 3 different lenses? or someone just made a few typos in different places?

Anyway, did anyone test BH's Bower 14mm/2,8 ? is it as good as new Samyang 14mm/2.8 ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
14mm, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, review, samyang, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samyang lenses alehel Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-04-2010 05:25 AM
Where to find Samyang lenses in Japan? tokyoso Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 01-31-2010 06:24 PM
Samyang 85mm f1.4? mikengstrom Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 56 01-10-2009 05:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top