Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by olenl Quote
this is so confusing. maybe these are 3 different lenses? or someone just made a few typos in different places?

Anyway, did anyone test BH's Bower 14mm/2,8 ? is it as good as new Samyang 14mm/2.8 ?
For the Bower 14mm f/2.8 lens to be different from the Samyang would mean that Bower (B&H's 'house brand' for equipment made by other companies) has contracted with a company other than Samyang to bring a very similar 14mm lens to market at the same time. This seems very unlikely to me.

If they are the same lens, typos in the lens specs could be unintentional or, for the more conspiracy-minded, intentional. The only way to really resolve it would be through empirical testing or disassembly of both lenses, since it may be difficult to get an answer out of any of the parties involved. In the LensTip interview of the director of sales and marketing for Samyang, they point-blank asked about the lens spec/branding issue, and here's how it went:

LensTip.com: Please explain us, what is the difference between the Samyang 8mm fisheye and Vivitar 7mm fisheye. They are both your make, dont they?
Mr. Lee: Bringing up other brand issue is not pertinent to this interview.

08-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #32

I understand what branding is ..

The reason I am asking is that I heard somewhere that there was older version of Samyang 14mm lens (maybe it's not true though) and it was not as good as the new version. so I thought maybe that BH's bower lens is actually an old version.
08-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olenl Quote
The reason I am asking is that I heard somewhere that there was older version of Samyang 14mm lens (maybe it's not true though) and it was not as good as the new version. so I thought maybe that BH's bower lens is actually an old version.
That seems unlikely, since according to LensTip, the first copies of that lens were withdrawn:

"After our test the producer decided to withdraw first specimens of that lens from the market and started to redesign it."

Also, if you compare their first lens test specs with their second lens test specs, the element count is the same. The one spec that did change was the length - from 86.5 mm to 92.0mm.
08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #34

great links, thanks...

if you look at lens photo on lenstip you'll notice the markings on older version (14mm 1:2.8ED | ASPHERICAL the rest is not visible) exactly the same as in Bower 14mm on BH pics.

On the Vivitar 13mm however markings look exactly like the new version (14mm 1:2.8 | ED IF AS UMC) but the length, size and elements specs are all off. it also costs more....

08-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would assume the Vivitars are identical to the other brands internally, but they have different styling to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack. So the extra price is for the different look. The different FL inscription may be part of this strategy too. Maybe the actual focal length is something like 13.5 and everyone rounds up but Vivitar rounds down. Same for the 8mm fisheye which is 7mm fisheye for Vivitar.

After all, Vivitar doesn't have manufacturing capabilities and I don't think they're having any capabilities to design and test even minor changes to an existing optical design. And if they'd do that, you'd expect them to advertise any advantage they've obtained, otherwise what would be the point of the effort.
08-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Mine Samyang 8mm F3.5 fish-eye has KA mount.
Its superb, but required -1.0EV correction. But I guess it can happen because of split prism focusing screen. First of all - split prism itself, secondly - because it lacks matte.
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
...Bower (B&H's 'house brand' for equipment made by other companies)...
Not!!!

Bower does rebrand stuff from multiple manufacturers, but they are hardly a house brand for B&H. The last Bower product I purchased came from Adorama!

See:
Bower: Where To Buy

Steve
08-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Bower does rebrand stuff from multiple manufacturers, but they are hardly a house brand for B&H. The last Bower product I purchased came from Adorama!
Interesting... in all honesty, I've had a hard time coming up with hard info on Bower, and their website doesn't have a lot of info. The S. Bower BBB page still has their old address, and lists the company as "COMPUTERS-DEALERS" oddly enough.

08-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Interesting... in all honesty, I've had a hard time coming up with hard info on Bower, and their website doesn't have a lot of info. The S. Bower BBB page still has their old address, and lists the company as "COMPUTERS-DEALERS" oddly enough.
Funny...I have seen their brand on the shelves of camera stores here in the northwest since I first got into photography back in the late 60s. They have traditionally sold gadgets and accessories (sort of like Kalt) and have only recently been selling lenses.

Steve