Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Samyang lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Photozone has just added a review of the Samyang 14mm lens:

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical (full format) - Review / Test Report

Pretty impressive resolution.

Also, I heard rumors about what Samyang's next lens will be, but this is the first time I see an official answer:

Interview with Mr. Lee - Director of Sales & Marketing Samyang Optics - Lenstip.com

A: 35mm f/1.4

07-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A 35 1.4 would be a great standard lens on APS-C, but if it´s not AF then I´m not sure how much use it would be to the majority. Their "long term" plans for AF I would guess will take a few years, but another company offering AF K-mount lenses is always welcome (especially if they fill the gaps in the Pentax line-up).

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-13-2010 at 05:02 AM.
07-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This review points out that infinity is around 2m on the distance scale. This is with Canon mount. On my 8mm fisheye (for Pentax) infinity is somewhere between 0.4m and 0.5m, or about in the middle of the scale. I've read about the Nikon version of the fisheye having the same defect somewhere.

I know two arguments for making lenses focus past infinity: So they can still focus at all (reasonable) temperatures, and to require less manufacturing precision. Neither should make them be off by this much. Anyone know why they are, and if it's just some or all samples?
07-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
This review points out that infinity is around 2m on the distance scale. This is with Canon mount. On my 8mm fisheye (for Pentax) infinity is somewhere between 0.4m and 0.5m, or about in the middle of the scale. I've read about the Nikon version of the fisheye having the same defect somewhere.

I know two arguments for making lenses focus past infinity: So they can still focus at all (reasonable) temperatures, and to require less manufacturing precision. Neither should make them be off by this much. Anyone know why they are, and if it's just some or all samples?
I don't know where you are getting the infinity focus point, but on my pro-optic 8mm fisheye, I get focus confirmation on my K10D (both camera and split image) of a subject 4-5 feet away at 1.2 meters right where it should be. Have not tried infinity yet, but It is certainly well beyond 2 meters on the focus scale

07-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A 35 1.4 would be a great standard lens on APS-C, but if it´s not AF then I´m not sure how much use it would be to the majority. Their "long term" plans for AF I would guess will take a few years, but another company offering AF K-mount lenses is always welcome (especially if they fill the gaps in the Pentax line-up).

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.
Assuming samyang is true to form, the 35mmF1.4 would be a KA mount like the others. Considering I don't have a k mount 35 at all, this might be worth waiting for. the 14 is also of interest, between my 8mm fisheye and my 24mm F2
07-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't know where you are getting the infinity focus point, but on my pro-optic 8mm fisheye, I get focus confirmation on my K10D (both camera and split image) of a subject 4-5 feet away at 1.2 meters right where it should be. Have not tried infinity yet, but It is certainly well beyond 2 meters on the focus scale
Maybe the pro-optic is not quite identical to the samyang branded version, I don't have any 1.2 or 2 meter marks on mine. (I have 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 1.5, 3 and infinity.)

I get my opinion on infinity focus by shooting a brick wall from about 10m wide open. On rechecking my images I seem to be misremembering though, it's best somewhere between 0.5 and 0.7.
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Their response in that interview to the question about why there are 9 brands of these lenses was quite interesting.

07-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #8

I plan on getting a Zenitar FE for wide angle but maybe i'll get Samyang 14mm first.
07-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just looked at the sample photos on photozone.de and am still rubbing my eyes. That is one incredibly sharp lens. Dang! And at just over $400 USD for the Bower version at B&H in Pentax mount...now if they would only offer it with the "A" contacts!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2010 at 07:07 PM.
07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure about K mount only and not KA?

All the others are KA
07-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #11

I bought it on Ebay of the Rokinon version for Canon mount with an offer of $350 . Here's a link to pentax mount:

Samyang 14mm F/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Pentax - eBay (item 270601921039 end time Aug-01-10 09:22:32 PDT)

the sample pictures are of Canon mount, not sure if it's have "A" contacts for Pentax.
07-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just looked at the sample photos on photozone.de and am still rubbing my eyes. That is one incredibly sharp lens. Dang! And at just over $400 USD for the Bower version at B&H in Pentax mount...now if they would only offer it with the "A" contacts!
The sharpness in corners has impressed me as well.

I expect this is a KA lens. I've noticed that B&H reused at some point Canon images for Pentax versions. Best thing is to email or call them and just confirm the presence of the A setting on the aperture ring.
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All the others are KA
Here is the B&H link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/698932-REG/Bower_SLY14MMF2_8P_14mm_f_2_8_Ultra_Wide.html

It looks like the same photo was used for the Canon, Nikon, and Pentax listings, though it is hard to tell which one was used as the model. There is nothing in the specs regarding what features are supported in the mount.

Steve
07-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It looks like the same photo was used for the Canon, Nikon, and Pentax listings, though it is hard to tell which one was used as the model. There is nothing in the specs regarding what features are supported in the mount
This has happened every time Samyang (and various rebrands) has come out with a new lens the last few years - the lens only has the "A" on the aperture ring for Pentax, but resellers tend to mindlessly recycle the same Canon/Nikon photo of the lens for all listings.
07-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

All the others are KA
I'm pretty sure the lens comes in KA mount.

Here's a link to walimex branded version
Look at the "3D-Animation" at the bottom of the page and you'll see the "A" position on the aperture ring