Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think primes are more than an after thought though and not something to add to your kit in a completely ad-hoc way. I think itís as important to have a prime road map as a zoom road map, and both road maps should complement one another as well as being able to stand on their own.
what I have done with primes, and there are a couple of exceptions as I have played with LBA, is to get lenses that are faster, at any focal length than my zoom kit.

WHen I have a special need, usually really low light, or know the focal length range I need, I take 1-2 primes and leave the zooms at home.

07-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what I have done with primes, and there are a couple of exceptions as I have played with LBA, is to get lenses that are faster, at any focal length than my zoom kit.

WHen I have a special need, usually really low light, or know the focal length range I need, I take 1-2 primes and leave the zooms at home.
I tend to agree, altohugh a DA40 is great as a 1 lens option for a trip. However I do think for example a DA70 as a compliment to a quality f2.8 zoom is not ideal. I think I'd like to swap my 70 for a 77 for the reason you say, it's a lot faster, not just smaller and lighter. However the DA70 is my absolute favourite lens, although I haven't even unwrapped my 50-135mm yet, but if I find it is the match of my 70 in IQ I probably will buy a 77 down the track. I just have to let my credit card recover first though
07-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm. I think at this point, I'm torn between getting a 17-70mm for general purpose, or a tele. The thing that's holding me back from the 17-70 is that I feel like I'd be "wasting" the kit lens, whereas with a tele I'd be able to put both to use. On the other hand, I can't seem to find any quality teles that are in my price range (this is why I was toying with the idea of getting a sigma 105mm or pentax 100mm and just kind of treating it like a tele).
07-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Buying a 17-70 makes no sense. First it isn't a top quality lens, it overlaps a lot with what you have, and it simply isn't fast enough for most people. At least a tamron 17-50 is fast and has great IQ, and it doesn't cost much more than a sigma 17-70.

07-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A lot of reviews and samples give it a pretty darn good IQ from what I've seen, but I'll take your word for it. What would you suggest then? Sounds like you wouldn't pick the 17-50 in my situation anyways due to the overlap.
07-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Don’t just take my word for it, I’m not sure if you’re referring to a Sigma or Pentax, I have no experience of the Pentax 17-70. Is the 17-70 what you want to end up with? If so, buy it.

If it isn't, what I'm saying is buying interim lenses can get expensive. It’s cheaper to buy the lenses that you want to end up with one by one, than to buy a whole bunch of interim lenses that aren’t the ones you ultimately want. A 17-70 is not a constant f2.8 zoom so for me I regret buying it, the IQ is the worst of my 5 lenses, but then my other lenses are pretty nice . So for me it was a waste of money especially as the resale on third party consumer zooms isn’t that great, I should have instead bought the DA21 or a 17-50 f2.8 as they ARE the lenses I want to end up with.
07-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Donít just take my word for it, Iím not sure if youíre referring to a Sigma or Pentax, I have no experience of the Pentax 17-70. Is the 17-70 what you want to end up with? If so, buy it.

If it isn't, what I'm saying is buying interim lenses can get expensive. Itís cheaper to buy the lenses that you want to end up with one by one, than to buy a whole bunch of interim lenses that arenít the ones you ultimately want. A 17-70 is not a constant f2.8 zoom so for me I regret buying it, the IQ is the worst of my 5 lenses, but then my other lenses are pretty nice . So for me it was a waste of money especially as the resale on third party consumer zooms isnít that great, I should have instead bought the DA21 or a 17-50 f2.8 as they ARE the lenses I want to end up with.
Hmm. I think, after a lot of thought, that I'm going to get a prime macro lens, specifically either the Tamron 90mm or the Sigma 105mm (still deciding atm; mixed reviews on both regarding their performance relative to one another...some say Sigma's sharper, others say Tamron. Some say Sigma's AF is decent enough for a macro, other say that for Tamron but not Sigma. And on and on it goes). My justification for this is that a) they're awesome quality b) I take a lot of macro shots as it is c) they can double as quasi-teles when needed. And as far as future upgrades go, having a lens in the 90-100mm range will let me know if I want to upgrade upwards, that is, get one of those 70-200 or 100-300 or something, or if I don't find myself out of focal length range too often, I'll upgrade my kit lens instead, or get a wide angle.

However, this is just the train of a thought of a newbie...Please do correct me if I'm out of my mind/batsh*t insane haha
07-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I think you are definitely on the right track, I don't think you can go wrong with either, or the Pentax 100 for that matter. I'd suggest going to a shop to compare. Even if they don't have Pentax mount ones in stock, you can at least get an idea of the size and weight

07-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If you're willing to spend the extra, I would definitely get the new Pentax 100WR over the other 2. It can still be bought for within your budget. Both of you're other choices are good lenses, but the 100WR is on it's way to becoming legendary. I've yet to read of anyone on this forum that is not taken with this lens. It has an inspiring, quality feel to it that I think you'd really enjoy, and it's another "building-block" lens that you could have for a lifetime and never feel the need to upgrade. Plus, it's weather-sealed. I had one myself and was really impressed. I only sold it because I have the equivalent Zeiss and I'm in love with that lens.