Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hoya vs. Tiffen Circular Polarizer

Looking for a cheap circular polarizer. Something that will just do the job (for now)

I have found 2 that fit my budget:

This Tiffen: Amazon.com: Tiffen 52mm Circular Polarizer: Electronics

and this Hoya: Amazon.com: HOYA 52MM Circular Polarizing Filter: Electronics

My two main concerns (in order):
1. Intensity of effect
2. optical quality.

Backstory: I purchased the Tiffen before but did not like the weak effect, with the shots I took all I saw was a darkening effect and the contrast was not significantly boosted and the sky did not seem much richer. I was using it 90 degrees from the sun. What drew me to the Tiffen was that the reviews seemed to praise it's optical quality. I returned it.

Will the Hoya have more noticeable effects? If I can't get a significant enough effect I would rather go without a filter and retain optimal optical quality

Which would be best for me (using only the lenses listed in my signature)? Hopefully I have provided enough information for someone to be able to share their opinions

07-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the Hoya and it seemed good enough for general use. I also believe that Hoya filters are generally a notch above Tiffen. Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no experience with Tiffen, but the Hoya works well for me. The difference between using the filter an not using it can be quite dramatic on a sunny day.
07-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both brands are good in their own right. Hoya have higher-quality filters than Tiffen, but their entry-levels compare well.

Since you've had bad experiences with Tiffen, why not try Hoya?

07-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank Adam, Fries and bdery that definitely did help.

and the reason why I'm still asking even though I didn't like the Tiffen is because if the Hoya has roughly the same performance of the Tiffen then I would just go without for the time being or reshuffle my budget to get a better filter. It sounds like I will give the Hoya a try.
07-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #6

I would look at Marumi, for not much more than the Hoya entry-level, you get a much better quality CPL.
Marumi DHG Circular Polarizers Multicoated, UV filters atwww.2filter.com
07-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip! After only a few minutes of searching it seemed that those are a good choice

You think this would be a good ebayer to buy it from? The link you gave me is a little pricey compared to this, if it's the same product.... Marumi 52mm DHG Circular Polarizer Polarizing Filter - eBay (item 300415715632 end time Aug-06-10 07:43:50 PDT)

QuoteOriginally posted by birdoprey Quote
I would look at Marumi, for not much more than the Hoya entry-level, you get a much better quality CPL.
07-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Looking for a cheap circular polarizer. Something that will just do the job (for now)

I have found 2 that fit my budget:

This Tiffen: Amazon.com: Tiffen 52mm Circular Polarizer: Electronics

and this Hoya: Amazon.com: HOYA 52MM Circular Polarizing Filter: Electronics

My two main concerns (in order):
1. Intensity of effect
2. optical quality.

Backstory: I purchased the Tiffen before but did not like the weak effect, with the shots I took all I saw was a darkening effect and the contrast was not significantly boosted and the sky did not seem much richer. I was using it 90 degrees from the sun. What drew me to the Tiffen was that the reviews seemed to praise it's optical quality. I returned it.

Will the Hoya have more noticeable effects? If I can't get a significant enough effect I would rather go without a filter and retain optimal optical quality

Which would be best for me (using only the lenses listed in my signature)? Hopefully I have provided enough information for someone to be able to share their opinions
What focal length was it used on?
What time of day was the shot?

07-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm, must have been 18mm in mid day light, blue sky with clouds
07-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by birdoprey Quote
Thanks for the tip! After only a few minutes of searching it seemed that those are a good choice

You think this would be a good ebayer to buy it from? The link you gave me is a little pricey compared to this, if it's the same product.... Marumi 52mm DHG Circular Polarizer Polarizing Filter - eBay (item 300415715632 end time Aug-06-10 07:43:50 PDT)
+1 on the Marumi but I will never buy from 2filter.com again after they pulled a "refuse to sell because you only ordered close out filters and for that reason they are suddenly out of stock but we will keep them listed for sale on the site" bunch of BS.

Instead I bought form a great seller in Texas via eBay who has the top of the line Marumi's for well below 2Filter.com including shipping. Since then I have purchased several times from the seller. I don't know what their stock is these days as I am not buying any gear right now but here is the seller:
oeccamera items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo items on eBay.com!

I also would never buy a Hoya filter because of how they artificially inflate and control the retail pricing of filters. Just look up 2filter.com's problems with Hoya's MAP (minimum advertised price) agreement and requirements. Which actually may violate a new law (in 2009) in Maryland which essentially puts a stop to this sort of anti-consumer and anti-competitive practice. Time will tell on the Maryland issue, especially as more states in the US move to implement similar laws. In fact the whole Hoya MAP thing almost made me sell off all my Pentax gear right after switching because had I known Hoya had purchased Pentax I never would have bought into the brand again because of the parent company being Hoya.

But Hoya does make nice filters though I did not like trying to clean the Hoya filters I had when shooting Canon...switching brands gave me an excuse to sell them off even if it was not logical, just got tired of the nearly impossible to clean filters.

Oh, all the shots in my albums here on PF were shot while wearing a DHG Marumi CPL. Granted the benefits of a CPL for my shots is minimal, it actually can help a lot on glassware shots as well as jewelry shooting:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/brecklundin-albums.html
07-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmmm, must have been 18mm in mid day light, blue sky with clouds
Midday - time of least effect.

18mm - about 80* of sky coverage, can show uneven tone across the sky.

Try 9am or 4pm using 90* rule with zoom at 55mm before making any judgments.

A point to note is that the polarization is done by a thin delicate plastic film sandwiched between two pieces of glass, not the glass! The "quality" of the glass and coating only affects flare, ghosting, contrast, or sharpness, not the polarization. The film they use is cheap and effective. Polarizers are the only filters made this way. All the other filters have dyes imbedded in the glass.
07-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW I have a smaller Hoya filter on my 50-200 and a larger Tiffen filter on my 50-135. I think the effects of the Hoya more noticeable.