Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the best mid range tele?

Hi all,

Ever since I got K50/1.2 I realized what some people (often Leica philes) mean by smooth OOF. I mean, no matter what, this lens beats just about anything I have tried in this respect and doesn't lack in sharpness, resolution, color rendition either.
I have been trying to find lenses that would equal these qualities and fit into line up with it.
I didn't have to look too far for normal lens. Despite FA43 being shaper, 31 rules in terms of OOF. No contest IMO. So I have 31+50. Sigma 10-20 is still the top dog in my drawer in UWA category and with those I couldn't really care for OOF.... 43ltd... well, I don't know yet, but I may be selling it.... It's not a bad lens but it's not better than 31+50.. but it's AF so for now I'm keeping it. K55, that one will go sometime soon. Anyway, that leaves me with over 50 section. I have tried:
Tamron 70-300 (nowhere near the league I'm after)
Sigma 105Macro, great lens, but kind of missed the wow factor
DA*50-135 good for a zoom, but I prefer primes, and wide open the IQ wasn't always there
FA135 super fast AF and good IQ but bit too long for me and I'd like bit sharper wide open
M85/2 great little lens, but the aberations were bit more than I wanted
FA100/2.8 macro so far the best I've tried, fast and reliable AF, very sharp, good OOF but still not 100% + it's bit bulky

What are the options?
I'd prefer Pentax glass, and I'm happy to try MF.
By looking at pics by 77ltd, I'm just not sure I'd like it's OOF, seems just about the same as 43 in this respect
FA*85 kind of out of budget
A*85 I'd try one if it came by for decent price, although I'd have to sell both 43 & 100 to fund it
K85/1.8 heard a lot about this one, but haven't seen too many examples...
I'd prefer shorter than 135, and assume 120 will still be too long. I know there are 100 non macro lenses, but they are "only" f2.8

are there any other options? (I know there is DA70 but it failed to convince me)
and out of those above which would come close to 31ltd + 50/1.2 combo in terms of IQ?

thanks for any input

Regards
Peter

07-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try the 50mm f1.2 with the Pentax AF 1.7x TC? I think that combination would be 85mm f1.8, or maybe f2?

Thank you
Russell