Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #1

Do You Use your 10-17mm MORE Than your 12-24mm???

Because I tend to do so..

Now I'm stuck with a dilemma of wanting to sell my 12-24mm because I seem to hardly prefer it (when it comes to UWA anyway).

Is it me or am I able to get the WHOLE entire shot and even more with the 10-17mm as opposed to 12-24mm? A couple of weeks ago I was at the Georgia Dome and got the entire interior of the stadium with satisfaction. I literally got every seat in the house. Not sure if I could say the same thing with the 12-24mm, although I might not have taken as many pics with it in comparison. I'll update this thread with pics.

But anyway, I'm just curious to know if there is anyone here who prefers the 10-17mm over the 12-24mm? Have you gone as far as to sell the 12-24mm?

07-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love them both and use them alternatively.
I use the 12-24 when I need to use filters like CPL and/or Cokin P ND4 or graduated...

I will never sell either of those lenses !!

07-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends entirely on the situation. Some situations the 10-17 I feel is the best option, while others the 12-24 is the best suited tool. There are some instances where its impossible for the 12-24 to be wide enough, and it not able to be stitched. There are others where the fish-eye distortion does not fit well and the 12-24 excels.

In my opinion the two lenses complement each other very well. Each has their place.

07-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If someone will send me their unwanted 12-24, I'll provide a thorough evaluation.

Meanwhile, although the 10-17 was among my initial set of lenses, and indeed drove me to Pentax in the first place, lately I've been using the Zenitar 16/2.8 much more, mostly due to its speed. But I need to be in the right environment for the 10-17; I've got too many vertical trees around here that fall for the lens. For wider rectilinears I get by with an 18-xxx, or a 21, or a (faster) 24.

Gosh, I don't have a 12-24! I'm so deprived! I'm depraved on account of I'm deprived. I heard that somewhere.

07-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
It depends entirely on the situation. Some situations the 10-17 I feel is the best option, while others the 12-24 is the best suited tool. There are some instances where its impossible for the 12-24 to be wide enough, and it not able to be stitched. There are others where the fish-eye distortion does not fit well and the 12-24 excels.

In my opinion the two lenses complement each other very well. Each has their place.

Exactly. That's like asking "should I sell the 43 because the 77 is much longer?" *.

*This example works better if I actually owned either of those lenses.