Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What tools do I need to disassemble lens?

What type of tools (specific screwdrivers) would I need to successfully disassemble lens? Could you recommend a place where I can order them? I already browsed through micro-tool website, but still unsure of what tools I need to purchase. thanks.

07-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is kinda scary zone stuff, I've always let folk who know what their about do this for me.
07-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I disassembled a manual focus lens with just a micro flat and philips head screwdriver and tweezers, so I think a general set of micros will do.

Oh yeah, one more thing you will need are a set of balls of steel.
07-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ragamuffin1171 Quote
What type of tools (specific screwdrivers) would I need to successfully disassemble lens? Could you recommend a place where I can order them? I already browsed through micro-tool website, but still unsure of what tools I need to purchase. thanks.
My tool set for lens/camera repair includes:

- An 18pc Precision UltraTech Screwdriver Set. The list price is $29, but it costs much less from Home Depot or a local hardware store.

- A dial caliper as spanner wrench. I have a 6" and a 4" version. These can also be used to remove the front lens ring. If you buy from Harborfreight, wait for a sale of the item, which happens every few weeks or so.

- A few tweezers of various kinds (pointed, slanted). Buy the best ones you can find.

- A piece of drawer liner similar to this. To loosen the front lens ring, I use a rear mount lens cap wrapped in the piece of drawer liner ("sticky surface" facing out). I push the whole thing on the ring and twist.

- A small can of naphtha (lighter fluid).

- A small can of denatured alcohol (available at the paint department of your local hardware store).

- Ziploc bags.

- A magnifier lamp.

- A small magnet.

Last edited by SOldBear; 07-13-2010 at 02:30 PM.
07-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
SOldBear,

Thanks for your detailed list w/ links. I like your ingenuity on using dial caliper and drawer liner!
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Vacuum pad opener instead of a spanner wrench

Vacuum Pad Camera Parts Opener, Japan Made!

or a full repair kit

Film Camera Maintenance & Repair Tool Set "C", Japan
07-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I had asked the exact same question to Ralph Innes a while back, this was the detailed list he made for me:

Micro-Tools Product Search Results 3mm Moody blade

Micro-Tools Product Search Results 1 mm Moody blade

Micro-Tools Product Search Results Moody handle (for above)

Screwdriver Blade, JIS Type S #00 Moody #00 JIS blade

Screwdriver Blade, JIS Type S #000 Moody #000 JIS blade (optional)

Micro-Tools Product Search Results Scriber (I have a different one)

Micro-Tools Product Search Results NIWA #0 JIS driver

Micro-Tools Product Search Results NIWA #1 JIS driver

Micro-Tools Product Search Results NIWA handle (for above)

Screwdriver Blade, XPT 2.5mm X 50mm NIWA #2 JIS (optional)
07-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d recommend practicing on a clunker or “parts” lens before you take on dissembling a A50/1.2 or some other high-end lens.

Phil.

07-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hacksaw
Drill
Ball Peen Hammer
Vice

07-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Hacksaw
Drill
Ball Peen Hammer
Vice

And a credit card to buy new lenses
07-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
And a credit card to buy new lenses
I thought we were working on Canon lenses.
07-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

latex gloves, the unpowdered variant. change every 10 minutes, or when going to touch glass.
07-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Tools

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

- An 18pc Precision UltraTech Screwdriver Set. The list price is $29, but it costs much less from Home Depot or a local hardware store.

- A dial caliper as spanner wrench. I have a 6" and a 4" version. These can also be used to remove the front lens ring. If you buy from Harborfreight, wait for a sale of the item, which happens every few weeks or so.

- A few tweezers of various kinds (pointed, slanted). Buy the best ones you can find.

- A piece of drawer liner similar to this. To loosen the front lens ring, I use a rear mount lens cap wrapped in the piece of drawer liner ("sticky surface" facing out). I push the whole thing on the ring and twist.

- A small can of denatured alcohol (available at the paint department of your local hardware store).

- Ziploc bags.

- A magnifier lamp.

- A small magnet.
SoldBear:

Thanks for the suggested list of tools. I never considered the dial caliper to remove the front lens ring.
07-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In addition to the tools already listed, you need two bathtubs. Remove all of your clothes and get in one of them with the lens and all of your tools. Have someone place the other upside down over the top of you and tape the seams shut. This will make finding all of the pieces much easier after everything flies apart.
07-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A Vacuum pad opener instead of a spanner wrench

Vacuum Pad Camera Parts Opener, Japan Made!
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

- Ziploc bags.

- A magnifier lamp.

- A small magnet.
Second the dial caliper suggestion. I've ground the inner measuring tips on mine to fit the slots on the lens rings. The outer measurement tips work great for large format lenses that have retaining rings holding them to the lens boards.

Also second the vacuum pad cork looking things. The work great for most lenses when removing the front element retaining ring. Be aware that they don't work for ALL lenses. I have a K135 f2.5 I'm trying to take apart right now that the tools don't quite fit.